The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas NAS VINs

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
Almost a year ago we were discussing decoding VINs on this forum (https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/vin-vehicle-identification-number.12410773/).

The topic appeared to be more or less closed. Now, I noticed that the NA VIN don‘t fit the original VIN conclusion: the VINs for Europe and Australia (perhaps also for Africa) had a „D“ or an „A“ as the 7th digit. The conclusion was that the „D“ was for Diesel and the „A“ for petrol. This conclusion seems to be wrong, as NA VINs appear to have a „C“ at this same position. So any ideas?
Maybe the petrol engines for North America have a different setting for the fuel quality. I am not enough involved in this topic but I remember that there’s a wide variety of different qualities worldwide which all work fine if the engine is optimised for it.

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
Maybe the petrol engines for North America have a different setting for the fuel quality. I am not enough involved in this topic but I remember that there’s a wide variety of different qualities worldwide which all work fine if the engine is optimised for it.
Good point. I remember a video on YouTube from Mat Armstrong who sent a tuned RS6 from the UK to California and ruined the engine of the car due to the lower octane fuel there. 😂

donnygreygrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
Good point. I remember a video on YouTube from Mat Armstrong who sent a tuned RS6 from the UK to California and ruined the engine of the car due to the lower octane fuel there. 😂
Currently on my 6th BMW X series (5’s and 3’s) and without exception the in line turbo charged 6 cylinder all required premium fuel. My experience with premium high octane fuel is the higher the better. The IG petrol engine is similar to the current X5 and 2019X3M40) so I won’t take the chance with lower (regular) octane fuels.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Currently on my 6th BMW X series (5’s and 3’s) and without exception the in line turbo charged 6 cylinder all required premium fuel. My experience with premium high octane fuel is the higher the better. The IG petrol engine is similar to the current X5 and 2019X3M40) so I won’t take the chance with lower (regular) octane fuels.
My '96 Discovery has always gotten at least 91 octane - 278K+ miles later still runs great!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From my days in the European aftermarket world, dealing with an Audi ECU tuner based in California (and thus tuning on CA's 91 oct), the average comment was that CA's 91 octane was in actuality nearly identical (from a performance/knock standpoint) to the East coast's 89 octane. Assuming this is correct, it would roughly equate to 93RON. Again, assuming the tuned RS6 was meant to run on 98RON, I could definitely see where the disaster potential exists. There was a point in time where that tuner was going East with a truck and 10-15 5 gallon fuel cans to fill with 93 oct to get proper "rest of the country" tunes done

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From my days in the European aftermarket world, dealing with an Audi ECU tuner based in California (and thus tuning on CA's 91 oct), the average comment was that CA's 91 octane was in actuality nearly identical (from a performance/knock standpoint) to the East coast's 89 octane. Assuming this is correct, it would roughly equate to 93RON. Again, assuming the tuned RS6 was meant to run on 98RON, I could definitely see where the disaster potential exists. There was a point in time where that tuner was going East with a truck and 10-15 5 gallon fuel cans to fill with 93 oct to get proper "rest of the country" tunes done
A - we know the east coast is better ;) 🤣 .

B - Not that I want to spend more than I need to at the pump, but I'll be running the best available. I have had to do so in a bunch of vehicles I have owned (2 Civic SIs, Disco II, Ford Raptor...) so I'm ready for the "ouch" that's coming. I have grown accustomed to the Fit - filled up this morning with the angry light on and it was $30 - so it's going to hurt some.

Last edited:

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
7115. Knauz called me yesterday and instructed me to get insurance and figure out finance
Knauz told me the same thing three weeks ago when I test drove one at their lot. So I wouldn’t read a lot into that in terms of timing. I think they kind of know it is coming but not exactly.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
I've occasionally mixed in some 7 gallons, I think it was, of 100 octane race gas in my E60 M5 (V-10 5.0L) to hit 95 octane and it's a different car with that tank of fuel.

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m picking it up tomorrow or Saturday
Congrats!
While you are there, mind being on lookout for a TM (Sela Green/White Roof, Winch and Steelies) :) ?

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m picking it up tomorrow or Saturday
Which specification did you order? Mine is a Fieldmaster with quite a bit of options including the full diff locks and set up as the trialmaster with the double battery. The only thing I didn’t order was the winches as they seemed to be ridiculously overpriced.

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That
I got the diffs and batteries etc no winch or towing package (I think that’s why I got mine sooner
is identical to mine. Dark grey with KOntires and those same rims. Yours looks beautiful. I can’t wait to pick mine up.

TrukSnave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That

is identical to mine. Dark grey with KOntires and those same rims. Yours looks beautiful. I can’t wait to pick mine up.
The Donny Grey is amazing. When I saw it in person at the first event in Florida…I knew I had to have it

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Donny Grey is amazing. When I saw it in person at the first event in Florida…I knew I had to have it
Yours looks great man! I am more excited now about mine. I added the utility belt, half roof rack and the led light bar. Other than that, ours are identical.

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Preorder 137xx - I asked the dealer for my VIN with no luck. I emailed Ineos through the web site and she said I wasn't in production yet and will receive a contract shortly. I don't think she considered I am in the US and probably just going off what the web site is saying. We all know the web site doesn't reflect reality. I am hoping I am in the second wave of shipments but at this point no info. I have followed the "Sick of Waiting" thread from the beginning so nothing will surprise me. I am just getting excited. My last new vehicle was purchased 16 years ago (still driving, and keeping my Tacoma) and looking forward to many road trips throughout the US and Canada in the G.\

Cheers!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW I was pre order 14,356 and was told this morning via online chat with IA that my truck is already built and awaiting shipment. I would image you would be in the same boat as you are several hundred ahead of me in preorder sequence.

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW I was pre order 14,356 and was told this morning via online chat with IA that my truck is already built and awaiting shipment. I would image you would be in the same boat as you are several hundred ahead of me in preorder sequence.
I hope you are correct Krabby.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope you are correct Krabby.
For your sake @PNW_IG I hope so too... But I'm 10,547 and still not scheduled for production for another month...

Back
Top Bottom