The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mobile phone mount and charging process

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
I just checked at Brodit, but they don‘t have a mount in program - so I‘ll have to wait an little bit…

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
On the subject of mobile phones, I posted this in another thread but think that it justifies its own thread.

it is a shame that Ineos Automotive having created a masterpiece with the Grenadier but they haven‘t designed in a location to store your phone when driving and allow it to be on charge - especially considering 99% of us never leave home without a phone!

There are USB’s in the storage box between the front seats so power available from there but a phone slides around unless secured into a cradle and that also means trailing wires.

Has anyone found a decent solution to this quandary?

This Forum is full of people with good ideas so I look forward to seeing the responses!

Thanks in anticipation!
I came up with this solution. Quadlock knuckle and mag safe head. I need to plug the charging cable in (attaches to the head not the phone). Remove existing M4 socket head bolt and replace with a longer one through the Knuckle.

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 167

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Actually. The flat rectangular plate 68mm with the single pivot, and the magsafe head will be better. Allows more rotation and the hole centres look to line up with the in dash bolts.

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you don’t have the heated seat buttons, then there’s 2 spots besides the AC dials.

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
Wireless Car Cup Holder Charger For Cell Phone

Why not just something like one of these cup holder charger? Seem to be hundreds in existence including made by many car manufacturers over the years - I'm sure I've seen them in the BMW showroom for instance. They seem to be very common now. Even Belkin make one. Just needs a nice cable tidy and voila. albeit losing one cup holder...

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
I came up with this solution. Quadlock knuckle and mag safe head. I need to plug the charging cable in (attaches to the head not the phone). Remove existing M4 socket head bolt and replace with a longer one through the Knuckle.
Thanks, I have Seat heaters and that’s the switch location for the driver’s seat one!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I have just tinkered around a bit and had this idea:

Screenshot_20230925_205652.jpg

This is (in this version) a 2 mm steel-plate. One of the holes looks different than the others. This is so because I have only completed one hole of the four. From the back, it looks like so:

Screenshot_20230925_205801.jpg

If you remove the four screws around the top right button, (postion as marked in the photo below), and insert longer ones, you can mount the plate - of course with all four holes having a bushing like the single one above.

With the bigger hole in the plate you can still operate the knob.The area on the right side of the plate is clear for ram mount balls and other types of mounting systems depeneding on individual preferences.

And it can also be used on LHD and RHD vehicles as well. What you need is a laser service for stainless steel plates up to 1.5 or 2mm thick and for the bushing either a good TIG welder or some rivet bushings.

The outer edges can be covered with a piping.

The entire mod can be undone without any traces.

GrenadierCockpitLHD.jpg

Last edited:

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
I have just tinkered around a bit and had this idea:

View attachment 7827829

This is (in this version) a 2 mm steel-plate. One of the holes looks different than the others. This is so because I have only completed one hole of the four. From the back, it looks like so:

View attachment 7827831

If you remove the four screws around the top right button, (postion as marked in the photo below), and insert longer ones, you can mount the plate - of course with all four holes having a bushing like the single one above.

With the bigger hole in the plate you can still operate the knob.The area on the right side of the plate is clear for ram mount balls and other types of mounting systems depeneding on individual preferences.

And it can also be used on LHD and RHD vehicles as well. What you need is a laser service for stainless steel plates up to 1.5 or 2mm thick and for the bushing either a good TIG welder or some rivet bushings.

The outer edges can be covered with a piping.

The entire mod can be undone without any traces.

View attachment 7827832
All good stuff, will you update us when you progress further? Thanks

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Don't expect anything to come out of here ready to unpack and assemble. Such solutions are evolving, with the help of many.

Not only for that reason I don't think I'll be doing this any time soon. I just don't have time. That's why I share the idea.

It's not an announcement.

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Don't expect anything to come out of here ready to unpack and assemble. Such solutions are evolving, with the help of many.

Not only for that reason I don't think I'll be doing this any time soon. I just don't have time. That's why I share the idea.

It's not an announcement.
Good idea emax and then it is easy to remove the plate and return the control panel to as it was.

Nevertheless, I am against phones being used in cars. Bluetooth it and put it way I say.

Here in Australia (esp. the state of Victoria) the regulations around using a mobile phone (and even in-built touch screens) when driving are increasing & becoming ever more complex.

In short, authorities are more & more restricting drivers touching or looking at any screens - I am sure they want to stop it all 100% soon.

For example - your phone is bluetoothed to the car infotainment system & you get a call - you are allowed to touch screen to accept call but you are NOT permitted to touch screen to scroll through songs on your playlist!!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good idea emax and then it is easy to remove the plate and return the control panel to as it was.

Nevertheless, I am against phones being used in cars. Bluetooth it and put it way I say.

Here in Australia (esp. the state of Victoria) the regulations around using a mobile phone (and even in-built touch screens) when driving are increasing & becoming ever more complex.

In short, authorities are more & more restricting drivers touching or looking at any screens - I am sure they want to stop it all 100% soon.

For example - your phone is bluetoothed to the car infotainment system & you get a call - you are allowed to touch screen to accept call but you are NOT permitted to touch screen to scroll through songs on your playlist!!
That's what the dial is for on the console :devilish:

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Really? When will advertising on screens be banned in cities? A driver could look at it while driving.
And I was convinced that Germany is the world champion in such bans.🤪

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
That's my view as well.

But this is a generic holder. You can attach a standalone nav as well, or a tablet for the co pilot.

The point is imho more that there is no reasonable solution to keep whatever in the cabin. And with such a solution this can be solved.

Back
Top Bottom