The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mobile phone mount and charging process

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:58 PM
Reaction score
There is a 10 amp outlet in each of the footwells.
Just use them to provide power wherever you need it.
So legend says, but the mythical outlets are yet to be seen in the wild. If they indeed exist, I will definitely be adding a dash mounted plug with additional USB ports and connecting to that outlet

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:58 PM
Reaction score
they haven‘t designed in a location to store your phone when driving and allow it to be on charge - especially considering 99% of us never leave home without a phone!
Anyone recall where this phone holder was?
Screenshot_20210731_064714_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly. If the theory was ”since people all have phones, have them Use them,” they should have designed a holder for the truck.
Not sure I understand - isn’t that the central console, which has usb outlets provided inside?

CarPlay etc means you can operate your phone (nav/phone/text) from the central touchscreen display OR jog wheel.
Why the need for another holder?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
Not sure I understand - isn’t that the central console, which has usb outlets provided inside?

CarPlay etc means you can operate your phone (nav/phone/text) from the central touchscreen display OR jog wheel.
Why the need for another holder?
Basically to utilize any apps not usable in Apple carplay. I can't speak to Android OS, but there are some IOS apps that don't play nicely.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Basically to utilize any apps not usable in Apple carplay. I can't speak to Android OS, but there are some IOS apps that don't play nicely.
Ah, I see. I’m curious to have a tinker around with it…

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Agreed, I really don't understand that aspect of the car. There should have been at least two standard USB and two USB-C ports dead centre.
For those without heated seats, there are two clear spots on the facia to add USB ports if they want.
It seems early prototypes got it right, but were removed somewhere along the way:

Screenshot_20210715_054324_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
I do not intend to have my phone visible while driving, following what was discussed re Apple Carplay further up. I bought me this, to avoid having to plug in the charging cable, it will go into the lockable box between the front seats: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09BVPG5ZL/?tag=globalgrena0b-20

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
I do not intend to have my phone visible while driving, following what was discussed re Apple Carplay further up. I bought me this, to avoid having to plug in the charging cable, it will go into the lockable box between the front seats: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09BVPG5ZL/?tag=globalgrena0b-20
My iPhone must be plugged in (apparently to power AND data) to have full functionality in my Kia (e.g. Navigation). Will the iPhone data connection in the Grenadier be, hopefully completely ‘wireless’?

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:58 PM
Reaction score
In my BMW’s Apple car play works with Bluetooth.
in the Porsche only if connected with cable to usb

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My iPhone must be plugged in (apparently to power AND data) to have full functionality in my Kia (e.g. Navigation). Will the iPhone data connection in the Grenadier be, hopefully completely ‘wireless’?
I tried apple navigation and Spotify on my short test drive. Both worked well wireless

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score
Apple CarPlay actually uses Wifi. You an connect your phone via traditional bluetooth also but won't run CarPlay. At least in BMW's system which the Gren seems to use.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just checked. It seems to have linked via Bluetooth with my mobile. The CarPlay started right after pairing the mobile with the Ineos unit. The entertainment does come from Neusoft if I recall it right. Didn’t DCPU wrote something about this company half a year ago?

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
I just checked. It seems to have linked via Bluetooth with my mobile. The CarPlay started right after pairing the mobile with the Ineos unit. The entertainment does come from Neusoft if I recall it right. Didn’t DCPU wrote something about this company half a year ago?
My iPhone will indeed connect by Bluetooth for phone calls and text messages on CarPlay, but navigation functions still require the cable connection…

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My iPhone will indeed connect by Bluetooth for phone calls and text messages on CarPlay, but navigation functions still require the cable connection…
CarPlay works over Bluetooth including the navigation without the need for a cable.. you can have multiple phones connected as well. I’ve got two paired but only one via car play. You can use a cable to connect another music play if you want as well..

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In the Ineos it works without cable for sure. I needed the navigation to find the way back to the dealer and I hadn’t got a cable with me.

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A little bump to this thread. Has anyone come up with a good idea for a phone cradle already?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A little bump to this thread. Has anyone come up with a good idea for a phone cradle already?
Well well. I came here today to post on this very subject...
Here's one option if you don't have the seat heaters. I saw something like this on the Aus FB group but cannot find it again to provide a credit. I adapted the idea using some spare RAM mount parts I had. That's a Pixel 7 for size reference. I trimmed the top edge of the alloy 1" ball mount because my OCD couldn't cope with the oval edge.

Parts info in the first pic. Also need 2x M4 x 20mm cap screws and flat washers.
You can fit the ball mount vertically or horizontally but be aware there are two different depth screw holes used for that location so check first.

Mount only. No power.
Screenshot 2023-08-17 175428.pngIMG-20230902-WA0003.jpgIMG-20230902-WA0002.jpgIMG-20230902-WA0001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom