The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Logsplitter’s travels in his Grenadier.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
I hope you forum moderators don’t mind but the easiest way to post for me while on my travels about the Grenadier in general and our travels is on a dedicated thread as sorting through all posts with limited internet access isn’t easy. So here goes.
we have been staying on a farm for a few days in the Karoo and had a a full day over 80km purely off-road on tiny farm tracks. The morning we spent getting to the sheep then ear tagging injections against parasites etc then the afternoon driving around the land looking for his Nguni cattle. To give an idea of scale we were on one of his five farms. The next one 60km away and another 100km away and 500km of fences to maintain. A great day where I mucked in and helped out.
The farmer wanted to see how good the Grenadier was so we put it to the test. At one point we had three farm workers in front of us rebuilding the track placing loose rocks in the washed out gullies. The farmers Ford pick up truck struggled at one pint with three attempts to get across a gully going across the track. The Grenadier in low ratio with middle and rear diff locks locked just walked up these hilly tracks effortlessly. The Grenadier truly is amazing off road and super comfortable. The farmer was suitably impressed as he had tried deliberately to take me to places wher he thought I couldn’t manage to follow. Lots of photos and video footage on what was an amazing day.
To be super critical a couple of negatives. The rear bash plate picks up brush and debris like a scoop and we had some dust getting in through the back doors which is making the rear door difficult to open.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpeg
    IMG_1201.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1214.jpeg
    IMG_1214.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_1202.jpeg
    IMG_1202.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2989.jpeg
    IMG_2989.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2986.jpeg
    IMG_2986.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCN0624.jpeg
    DSCN0624.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCN0614.jpeg
    DSCN0614.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0993.jpeg
    IMG_0993.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 380

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
I hope you forum moderators don’t mind but the easiest way to post for me while on my travels about the Grenadier in general and our travels is on a dedicated thread as sorting through all posts with limited internet access isn’t easy. So here goes.
we have been staying on a farm for a few days in the Karoo and had a a full day over 80km purely off-road on tiny farm tracks. The morning we spent getting to the sheep then ear tagging injections against parasites etc then the afternoon driving around the land looking for his Nguni cattle. To give an idea of scale we were on one of his five farms. The next one 60km away and another 100km away and 500km of fences to maintain. A great day where I mucked in and helped out.
The farmer wanted to see how good the Grenadier was so we put it to the test. At one point we had three farm workers in front of us rebuilding the track placing loose rocks in the washed out gullies. The farmers Ford pick up truck struggled at one pint with three attempts to get across a gully going across the track. The Grenadier in low ratio with middle and rear diff locks locked just walked up these hilly tracks effortlessly. The Grenadier truly is amazing off road and super comfortable. The farmer was suitably impressed as he had tried deliberately to take me to places wher he thought I couldn’t manage to follow. Lots of photos and video footage on what was an amazing day.
To be super critical a couple of negatives. The rear bash plate picks up brush and debris like a scoop and we had some dust getting in through the back doors which is making the rear door difficult to open.
If @DaveB is allowed to have a thread concerning a boat lost on the oceans, you sure are allowed to have a thread about a Grenadier lost in Africa ;)

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Brilliant experience and great pics. A true test of the new vehicle. No doubt, soon enough there will be a mod for the rear bash plate. Be interesting to hear what is causing dust ingress on rear door. Look forward to hearing more from you. In the meantime, stay safe.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
Great idea @Logsplitter one place to follow your adventures and one place for you to see what people ask or suggest for you.

Keep the pics coming if the data plan will allow. As the saying goes a picture paints a thousand words.

There is a YouTube channel called Bluelandy, and they are doing exactly what you are on a farm in Namibia I think.

Keep going buddy, looks like your having a terrible time 😝

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great idea @Logsplitter one place to follow your adventures and one place for you to see what people ask or suggest for you.

Keep the pics coming if the data plan will allow. As the saying goes a picture paints a thousand words.

There is a YouTube channel called Bluelandy, and they are doing exactly what you are on a farm in Namibia I think.

Keep going buddy, looks like your having a terrible time 😝
I have watched BlueLandy. They are in South America now.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A little mod I did while camped the other day.
A 12v motorcycle auxiliary socket clamps directly onto the side tie down bars as about the same size as a motorcycle handlebar. Took the blank plug out of one of the auxiliary roof sockets and crimped a couple of pins on the cable. Easy cheap solution as much Of our kit runs off of usb plugs. So we can run lights or charge kit outside.
IMG_2994.jpeg

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So 460km of pure off road over three days. Mainly in soft sand single tracks Interspersed with corrugated gravel tracks that would shake your teeth out. Aired down to 26 psi cold pressure. Going up to around 29/30 psi in the heat of the day. Averaging around 19l/100km in very heavy going. By the way it’s a petrol Grenadier.
The Grenadier just powers through everything. In high range centre diff locked for three days most with off road mode switched on as well. Only once did I engage low range after stopping in deep sand and having to reverse up a couple of hundred metres to let a group of 4x4 ‘s past.
A truly amazing vehicle and no fault codes. Except for i have an error for TPMS low tyre pressure warning coming on intermittently even though I reset tyre pressure values a few times. After airing up at the end of the dirt road error cleared. Hopefully software fix will sort this.
We are travelling heavy so in the long term ideally I would like a suspension lift for loaded expedition travel which will come I hear.
Scooping up sand in the rear bash plate isn’t an issue as it falls straight out of the holes in the plate.
Rear tow hook has had a battering and lost the retaining R clip for the tow pin.
On good gravel I am at around 16l/100km at a steady 80/90kph
On good tar around 14l/100km if I stay under 90kph but loaded and full roof rack. So quite happy with fuel use under these conditions.
Battery getting up to 100% everyday fridge set at 1c solar panel use in afternoons to help conserve batteries. 2x 100w panels with inbuilt mppt controllers
When airing up and down I’m using an indeflate so I can air both front or back together to get exact same pressure in each pair. T- max air compressor I’ve had for years working fine.
A point to note is that on the really corrugated gravel tracks the electronic stability control keeps activating and reducing power. The esc off switch in the overhead panel doesn’t seem to turn it off so easier to leave centre diff locked to stop this problem. Presume this is fixed with the software upgrade as heard some others have noted esc switch not working. Driving with centre diff locked on such loose gravel corrugated tracks is not a bad thing though.
Absolutely loving the vehicle and life.
Have been deliberately sticking to off road and dirt tracks to test the vehicle out before the remoteness of Botswana and Namibia.
I have every confidence in it now after a thorough testing. So powerful and comfortable. It just soaks up the bumps even fully loaded.
For mapping we use a Garmin Glo linked to an iPad Pro. It uses glonass and well as gps. Had it four years now and it’s very good we use tracks for africa for the mapping also excellent in Southern Africa
I will load some photos but one or two at a time as signal week on 3G

Attachments

• 684887a3-d38e-497a-af99-63d55d6d650f.jpeg
    684887a3-d38e-497a-af99-63d55d6d650f.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 325

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve got so much photo ,video and drone footage. Just need to work out what I do with it. 🤔. If I get good internet access I’ll try to post on utube but never done that before.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Y
so you run 26psi in that sand??
Yes seems to be fine reluctant to air down further unless I have to. Too many sticks sticking through that may the puncture sidewalls If I was in deep sand with no chance of sidewall damage then possibly air down to 18/20 psi
This petrol engine has so much power . Built for the sand. 😍

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
If I get good internet access I’ll try to post on utube but never done that before.
If you have an account it is quite straightforward, but indeed, wait till you have a good internet connection. You can even edit the video's, I used the edit function for the first time some weeks ago when I posted a link here concerning my diff lock disengaging.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One more thing I have a TireTek tyre pressure gauge that I use for accurately setting on the on road tyre pressures. I tend to slightly over inflate then set accurately with the gauge as you can deflate in very small amounts. I find the indeflate very good at IMG_3276.jpegquick deflating and convenient when pumping up all tyres but I find the TireTek gauge more precise. Other brands are available as they say 😂

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One more thing I have a TireTek tyre pressure gauge that I use for accurately setting on the on road tyre pressures. I tend to slightly over inflate then set accurately with the gauge as you can deflate in very small amounts. I find the indeflate very good at View attachment 7829157quick deflating and convenient when pumping up all tyres but I find the TireTek gauge more precise. Other brands are available as they say 😂
that's how I carry it out as well. Also have the Tiretek gauges in each car.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Logsplitter, powerwise where are you connecting the compressor?

Back
Top Bottom