The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Logsplitter’s travels in his Grenadier.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
I hope you forum moderators don’t mind but the easiest way to post for me while on my travels about the Grenadier in general and our travels is on a dedicated thread as sorting through all posts with limited internet access isn’t easy. So here goes.
we have been staying on a farm for a few days in the Karoo and had a a full day over 80km purely off-road on tiny farm tracks. The morning we spent getting to the sheep then ear tagging injections against parasites etc then the afternoon driving around the land looking for his Nguni cattle. To give an idea of scale we were on one of his five farms. The next one 60km away and another 100km away and 500km of fences to maintain. A great day where I mucked in and helped out.
The farmer wanted to see how good the Grenadier was so we put it to the test. At one point we had three farm workers in front of us rebuilding the track placing loose rocks in the washed out gullies. The farmers Ford pick up truck struggled at one pint with three attempts to get across a gully going across the track. The Grenadier in low ratio with middle and rear diff locks locked just walked up these hilly tracks effortlessly. The Grenadier truly is amazing off road and super comfortable. The farmer was suitably impressed as he had tried deliberately to take me to places wher he thought I couldn’t manage to follow. Lots of photos and video footage on what was an amazing day.
To be super critical a couple of negatives. The rear bash plate picks up brush and debris like a scoop and we had some dust getting in through the back doors which is making the rear door difficult to open.
I thought that the rear plate would be a scoop, I'm removing mine before we do the Canning Stock Route, don't want to be another burnt wreck on the side of the track.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
Brilliant experience and great pics. A true test of the new vehicle. No doubt, soon enough there will be a mod for the rear bash plate. Be interesting to hear what is causing dust ingress on rear door. Look forward to hearing more from you. In the meantime, stay safe.
Dust inside the rear door was mentioned by one of the owners in Western Australia after doing a desert trip.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
Connecting crocodile clips directly to jump start post under the bonnet
Edit :- this was a reply to the post asking how I connect the compressor

Last edited:

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
YouTube is straightforward, just need a good connection to upload once the account is registered.

A basic Wordpress website is straightforward to host all your pictures and video too.

However, the pictures uploaded to here to date are exactly what we all want to see....enjoy the rest of the journey.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing how the car holds up over the long term.
@logspliter how long are you planning on travelling with the Gren?
A 6 month shake down trip to see how “Liberty” behaves then we plan how we configure it. Then we see 🤔 it’s a big world with plenty to see. Watch this space.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score
I’ve got so much photo ,video and drone footage. Just need to work out what I do with it. 🤔. If I get good internet access I’ll try to post on utube but never done that before.
Interested what size of drone you use, and if any of your travel countries have regulations on their use?

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
I thought that the rear plate would be a scoop, I'm removing mine before we do the Canning Stock Route, don't want to be another burnt wreck on the side of the track.
Yes guess need to be mindful if driving and parking up in spinifex country. Have to wonder what all the PTO drives were about and Ineos saying they were listening to constructive criticism. The rear bash plate digging in or collecting spinifex around the muffler seemed to be a common theme (as was the lack of drivers/rear seat climb in handles). But despite a few niggles Logsplitter and others have shown it to be such a capable vehicle - had my 1946 update and no more bingsnbongs... 😀

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes guess need to be mindful if driving and parking up in spinifex country. Have to wonder what all the PTO drives were about and Ineos saying they were listening to constructive criticism. The rear bash plate digging in or collecting spinifex around the muffler seemed to be a common theme (as was the lack of drivers/rear seat climb in handles). But despite a few niggles Logsplitter and others have shown it to be such a capable vehicle - had my 1946 update and no more bingsnbongs... 😀
They may have just thought that out of the 45,000 produced a year only 10% are going to areas that have spinifex.
Out of that 10% only 5% will be driving across desert tracks that have spinifex on them.
So is it worth changing 100% of vehicles to solve a problem only a potential 0.5% will face.
The handles on the other hand is just a silly thing to ignore.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK folks I’m trying my first attempt at uploading a Utube video. It says I need at least 50 subscribers before I can post from a mobile device. Any help appreciated. The Utube channel I’ve created is Travelling Grenadier. If I get 50 subscribers then maybe it will let me post something.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
OK folks I’m trying my first attempt at uploading a Utube video. It says I need at least 50 subscribers before I can post from a mobile device. Any help appreciated. The Utube channel I’ve created is Travelling Grenadier. If I get 50 subscribers then maybe it will let me post something.
I did a YT search but it doesn't come up?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
can you post a link where we can all subscribe - as per Tazzie I've failed to find you on Youtube

Reactions: PBD

Joey

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score
So 460km of pure off road over three days. Mainly in soft sand single tracks Interspersed with corrugated gravel tracks that would shake your teeth out. Aired down to 26 psi cold pressure. Going up to around 29/30 psi in the heat of the day. Averaging around 19l/100km in very heavy going. By the way it’s a petrol Grenadier.
The Grenadier just powers through everything. In high range centre diff locked for three days most with off road mode switched on as well. Only once did I engage low range after stopping in deep sand and having to reverse up a couple of hundred metres to let a group of 4x4 ‘s past.
A truly amazing vehicle and no fault codes. Except for i have an error for TPMS low tyre pressure warning coming on intermittently even though I reset tyre pressure values a few times. After airing up at the end of the dirt road error cleared. Hopefully software fix will sort this.
We are travelling heavy so in the long term ideally I would like a suspension lift for loaded expedition travel which will come I hear.
Scooping up sand in the rear bash plate isn’t an issue as it falls straight out of the holes in the plate.
Rear tow hook has had a battering and lost the retaining R clip for the tow pin.
On good gravel I am at around 16l/100km at a steady 80/90kph
On good tar around 14l/100km if I stay under 90kph but loaded and full roof rack. So quite happy with fuel use under these conditions.
Battery getting up to 100% everyday fridge set at 1c solar panel use in afternoons to help conserve batteries. 2x 100w panels with inbuilt mppt controllers
When airing up and down I’m using an indeflate so I can air both front or back together to get exact same pressure in each pair. T- max air compressor I’ve had for years working fine.
A point to note is that on the really corrugated gravel tracks the electronic stability control keeps activating and reducing power. The esc off switch in the overhead panel doesn’t seem to turn it off so easier to leave centre diff locked to stop this problem. Presume this is fixed with the software upgrade as heard some others have noted esc switch not working. Driving with centre diff locked on such loose gravel corrugated tracks is not a bad thing though.
Absolutely loving the vehicle and life.
Have been deliberately sticking to off road and dirt tracks to test the vehicle out before the remoteness of Botswana and Namibia.
I have every confidence in it now after a thorough testing. So powerful and comfortable. It just soaks up the bumps even fully loaded.
For mapping we use a Garmin Glo linked to an iPad Pro. It uses glonass and well as gps. Had it four years now and it’s very good we use tracks for africa for the mapping also excellent in Southern Africa
I will load some photos but one or two at a time as signal week on 3G
Awesome @Logsplitter to prevent esc coming on try 'offroad' mode on your head panel, I know this turns it off also.

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom