The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Largest Functional Tire Without Mods

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:32 PM
Reaction score
What about 255/75/17’s??

I’ve been thinking of skinnier but taller as an option to get 33” tyres.

Limits tyre choices though, more muds that AT’s
255/80/17 is the "true" 33; that's what I have run on several vehicles and plan on run on the Grenadier as well. Here in the US the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is available in that size (and the tire I have run due to it's 3PMSF rating)

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
255/80/17 is the "true" 33; that's what I have run on several vehicles and plan on run on the Grenadier as well. Here in the US the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is available in that size (and the tire I have run due to it's 3PMSF rating)
I’ve never run Falkens but lots of people give them big wraps over here. Not available in that size in Oz though by the look of it (Australian website)

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve never run Falkens but lots of people give them big wraps over here. Not available in that size in Oz though by the look of it (Australian website)
Yes very popular tyre but really nothing from any brands in that size

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes very popular tyre but really nothing from any brands in that size
Which pretty much rules it out given if you got stuck somewhere needing a tyre you’d struggle to get one. Shame, wide doesn’t always mean best.

Seems widely available in the US - Nittos, Falken etc.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
Falkens are amazing. I have the e rated, unbenowst to me had a massive framing nail go into tire. Drove a good while and never lost pressure. Only when I stopped and did walk around did I see the nail head sticking out.

Waiting on tire size until the lift is sorted out. LeTech has a 40mm and I believe eibach has a 60mm in works. Once that is squared away, I'll start looking at 34 Wildpeaks. Also need to get the IG first. Was talking to @jeremy_matrix who reps Werewolf. Maybe some forged double beaded with central tire inflation system. Kinda of a nice to have splurge. Do I need it, no but it would be a awesome addition.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Falkens are amazing. I have the e rated, unbenowst to me had a massive framing nail go into tire. Drove a good while and never lost pressure. Only when I stopped and did walk around did I see the nail head sticking out.
My girlfriend's last set of Wildpeaks (in 265/70/17) ran flawlessly with a sizable nail (with 0 pressure loss) for about 15-20k miles. I had 2 sets on my 4Runner, a set on the Tundra, and now 2 sets on the Tacoma. The Sprinter only has KO2s because the Wildpeaks weren't available from my usual sources at the time; they are definitely my overall favorite tire for on road and everything off road shy of mud

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Coincidence? I’m sitting at a Bridgestone trye place right now waiting for them to repair one of my daughters tyres because she drove over a large tech screw yesterday - tyre kept it’s pressure all yesterday, last night and this morning.

By the way, that Ebach lift is only 30mm, the rest of it was increase in tyre size to give 60mm.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Coincidence? I’m sitting at a Bridgestone trye place right now waiting for them to repair one of my daughters tyres because she drove over a large tech screw yesterday - tyre kept it’s pressure all yesterday, last night and this morning.

By the way, that Ebach lift is only 30mm, the rest of it was increase in tyre size to give 60mm.
Looks like Le Tech it is, I wonder if I can run a tab

Reactions: PBD

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
"Pizza Cutter", great ! :ROFLMAO:

A very thorough test with plausible results.

Thank you for sharing! (y)

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very interesting video about wide vs skinny tires in the same diameter. I like this guy's stuff and thought you might too.

For once I won't have to go out and buy bigger rims and tires. That's a win I will take and spend the saved money on other kit for the Grenadier. DaBull

HT

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I ended up with 295/70/17 BFG’s. No lift needed. The little rear door only clears the spare by about 2 mm. I can say with relative certainty that that’s as big as you can go without spending some $$ on the spare wheel mount.

Attachments

• IMG_6931.jpeg
    IMG_6931.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_6927.jpeg
    IMG_6927.jpeg
    631.9 KB · Views: 204

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I ended up with 295/70/17 BFG’s. No lift needed. The little rear door only clears the spare by about 2 mm. I can say with relative certainty that that’s as big as you can go without spending some $$ on the spare wheel mount.
Theres a few companies that are finalizing their designs for market. As well as new rear bumpers, so expect to see them dropping by pretty soon.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
Rear bumper sounds interesting. But what about a front bumper?

Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
BFG has also 285/75R17 MT KM3 available. Little bit larger diameter but slighty narrower.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi HT, What width rim did you mount those on? DaBull

Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
How does it drive? Any noticeable lag in acceleration or longer stopping distance? Have you cycled the suspension off road? If so, did you get any rubbing? In other words: Has the larger tire - without a suspension lift- reduced wheel travel? Thanks in advance for your reply!

HT

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
BFG has also 285/75R17 MT KM3 available. Little bit larger diameter but slighty narrower.
If the diameter of that 285 is any larger than my tyre, I would seriously doubt it’s ability for a spare to fit on the back Without modification.

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom