The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Largest Functional Tire Without Mods

HT

Production/Transit
Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
How does it drive? Any noticeable lag in acceleration or longer stopping distance? Have you cycled the suspension off road? If so, did you get any rubbing? In other words: Has the larger tire - without a suspension lift- reduced wheel travel? Thanks in advance for your reply!
Hey Stickshifter,
I can see the rubber gets pretty close to the firewall when the steering is locked, so it’s definitely a legitimately concern. I confess that I haven’t systematically tested it yet. That being said, poking around the farm (through channels and creek crossings etc) hasn’t caused any rubbing. I get the feeling if you drove more aggressively/courageously than me, it could very well be an issue.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
255/80/17 is the "true" 33; that's what I have run on several vehicles and plan on run on the Grenadier as well. Here in the US the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is available in that size (and the tire I have run due to it's 3PMSF rating)
Anand: You might want to look at the new Wildpeak R/T 01. Slightly more agressive than the A/T3W, but still good on road. I am not worried about the snow performance, for which the A/T3W is better, but for mixed offroad, this new one looks the business!
And I likely will go the same size as you: will give less problems than a wider tire on the stock rims (not ready to swap rims as well as tires!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anand: You might want to look at the new Wildpeak R/T 01. Slightly more agressive than the A/T3W, but still good on road. I am not worried about the snow performance, for which the A/T3W is better, but for mixed offroad, this new one looks the business!
And I likely will go the same size as you: will give less problems than a wider tire on the stock rims (not ready to swap rims as well as tires!
The R/T looks awesome, and I would probably go with it if I wasn't worried about the 3PMSF rating and packed snow/ice performance.

I had the opportunity to drive my buddy's 200 series a few weeks ago the BFG's "hybrid" tire (HD Terrain), and while it was louder than a KO2, it's performance through mud/muck is impressive. It also had much better road manners than a mud terrain; I would imagine the Wildpeak R/T to be similar

Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
Hey Stickshifter,
I can see the rubber gets pretty close to the firewall when the steering is locked, so it’s definitely a legitimately concern. I confess that I haven’t systematically tested it yet. That being said, poking around the farm (through channels and creek crossings etc) hasn’t caused any rubbing. I get the feeling if you drove more aggressively/courageously than me, it could very well be an issue.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that’s the way it looks to me, but it’s been a few months since I had my test drive, and its hard to know for sure. Good luck with your Grenadier - hope it gives you many good years!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The R/T looks awesome, and I would probably go with it if I wasn't worried about the 3PMSF rating and packed snow/ice performance.

I had the opportunity to drive my buddy's 200 series a few weeks ago the BFG's "hybrid" tire (HD Terrain), and while it was louder than a KO2, it's performance through mud/muck is impressive. It also had much better road manners than a mud terrain; I would imagine the Wildpeak R/T to be similar
I been driving R/T tires for close to 30 years and don’t even look at AT options. I find R/T’s great for my typical snow use, and if I really need 3PMSF I have chains.

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
I ended up with 295/70/17 BFG’s. No lift needed. The little rear door only clears the spare by about 2 mm. I can say with relative certainty that that’s as big as you can go without spending some $$ on the spare wheel mount.
HT - How much poke do you have ? Meaning how much does the tire stick out past the fender? THX!

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
Can anybody who has fitted 285/70R17s to their Ineos, show closeup photos of the Front Wheels at full Lock and measure the clearances? (And the offset of the rims if they are not the OEM 17x7.5s)

Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
I ended up with 295/70/17 BFG’s. No lift needed. The little rear door only clears the spare by about 2 mm. I can say with relative certainty that that’s as big as you can go without spending some $$ on the spare wheel mount.
295? 295/70/17 is a 35" and you did mount it without mods on the standard steel rims?
Can we have a proper side picture?
Thks

Last edited:

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
Anyone looked at the BFG 34x10.5r17?

I just watched Robert Pepper's video on tires again, wide vs. narrow and now I'm having second thoughts on the 295s. I've ordered the Eibach +30mm springs.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone looked at the BFG 34x10.5r17?

I just watched Robert Pepper's video on tires again, wide vs. narrow and now I'm having second thoughts on the 295s. I've ordered the Eibach +30mm springs.
I think the sweet spot is 33 with a lift. You can still fit in garages at 6'9". You don't blow up gas mileage. You get about 11inches of ground clearance with the lift and tires

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the sweet spot is 33 with a lift. You can still fit in garages at 6'9". You don't blow up gas mileage. You get about 11inches of ground clearance with the lift and tires
It's marketed as a 34, but it's actually 33.5":

1699240400960.png
Also, it's essentially the same width as the OE tire.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's marketed as a 34, but it's actually 33.5":

View attachment 7831874
Also, it's essentially the same width as the OE tire.
Hi IG_in_AZ:, Yes, it's 33.5 diameter on an 8.5" rim. For every 1/2" difference in rim width, you need to add or subtract .20" for height. Example, if this tire was on a 8" rim instead or a 8.5" rim, the height would change from 33.5" to 33.7". Something to keep in mind with rear door clearances being tight. DaBull

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi IG_in_AZ:, Yes, it's 33.5 diameter on an 8.5" rim. For every 1/2" difference in rim width, you need to add or subtract .20" for height. Example, if this tire was on a 8" rim instead or a 8.5" rim, the height would change from 33.5" to 33.7". Something to keep in mind with rear door clearances being tight. DaBull
Thank you. Good info to know. I appreciate being educated. My intent is to use the factory 17" steel wheels.

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
Would you mind sending us a photo of the rear door clearance? THX

HT

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Would you mind sending us a photo of the rear door clearance? THX
Tried to get a short video but it wouldn’t upload… here’s a photo that might show the clearance (apologies in advance for my poor photography and dirty hands).

Attachments

• IMG_7151.jpeg
    IMG_7151.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 120
Back
Top Bottom