The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is the IG underpowered?

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
I accidently closed the forum when I was about to reply to a long post about the power to weight ratio of the IG vs a Ford Superduty, the argument being that both weighed about the same but the Superduty had twice the power...... (sorry, my "old" brain forgot the contributor - who will likely point me to the right thread, which I can no longer find.
Anyway to elaborate, from my experience overlanding with my 1995 NAS D90. This has the entire drivetrain from the transfer case to the wheels changed out for HD components, a modest lift, lockers, a Warn 827, a very comprehensive toolkit and spares to allow remote repairs (belts/hoses/ water pump/alternator/etc.... I have everything I need for 7 days without touching civilization (extra 20 gals gas, food and water/other beverages, camping gear). Fully loaded, it comes in well over 6000 lbs ( actually weighed it on a friends car-balancing setup, where each wheel is independently weighed, when I was setting up springs to take the load!)
It is "powered" by the original rover v-8: 3.9 lt, 183 HP, 233 ft-lb (316 nm).
I have travelled very many times from Houston to the fun States of Arizona/Utah/Colorado/Wyoming, where with friends we would get ourselves in some "interesting" remote places, requiring the use of lockers and winches at times to keep going. And of course, we got (altitude!) pretty high as well......... And, with that "poor" power to weight ratio, I never felt I had insufficient power,
So, I am hoping that the IG, with 285 hp and 450Nm will be sufficient for my needs, even if I go to the maximum permitted load,,,,,,,

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
I have the LR 3.9 V8 and it is underpowered for sure. But it is what they had at the time.
OK torque as long as you aren't trying too hard to go fast!
The Ineos will feel like a sports car. It is 30 years later after all - and the 3.9V8 was a 1960s base engine...

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I have the LR 3.9 V8 and it is underpowered for sure. But it is what they had at the time.
OK torque as long as you aren't trying too hard to go fast!
The Ineos will feel like a sports car. It is 30 years later after all - and the 3.9V8 was a 1960s base engine...
I did not feel it underpowered, even in the nuts freeways of Texas. OK when climbing a long grade at over 10,000 feet, it lacked power and I would drop down to 4th and not be able to do more than 60 mph and pull in to a slower lane to let the monster trucks pass at 75 mph....... But that was an extreme situation. At "offroad" speeds, never a problem.

Dso715

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Was that actually a comparison ? Ford superdooty and IG. Two opposite platforms for intended usage.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
I did not feel it underpowered, even in the nuts freeways of Texas. OK when climbing a long grade at over 10,000 feet, it lacked power and I would drop down to 4th and not be able to do more than 60 mph and pull in to a slower lane to let the monster trucks pass at 75 mph....... But that was an extreme situation. At "offroad" speeds, never a problem.
Offroad no problem. Onroad...well I have a few old sports cars so I'm used to a bit of zip, especially uphill!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
Question is short time use only or long time use as well at Vmax?

But there is a temperature monitor in the display that shows different oil temperatures. The transmission oil temperature is visible there imho.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
The manual actually says 70kph but we watched the Austrian test driver do 80khp

View attachment 7800446
Well that’s just a very worthy information for everyone who wants to buy a test drive vehicle in the future…
But those cars will end in a press anyway.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Think of those tiny little gears spinning like crazy. :eek:

Will be interesting to read the manual and see what is says about stuff like that.
Yeah: I can't imagine any scenario where you would want to rev the engine that much in low. I would think 45-50 an absolute max if you are wanting a vehicle that will last......... In all my years ofoff-road driving, I don't think I have ever done much more than 0 mph in Low....

Back
Top Bottom