The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is the IG underpowered?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
Regular turning circle: 18.7 meters.

That's why they offer the tank-turn feature: 0 meters. And you get two extra sets of tires for free when you tick the tank-turn option.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
I have your answer to underpowered SUV/4WD's

BYD YangWang U8 – Hardcore Off-road SUV With 1,100 Hp & Amazing Features​

Unless it can do 0 to 25 knots in 10 sec I'm not interested... hard pass

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
This is all true. But tuning the B58 isn’t too possible, not because it can’t do it, but the trans it at its power/torque edge at stock.
At its edge in stock tune? That isn’t confidence inspiring.

If I wanted a speed/power demon, I’d just go with a Jeep 392.

The known world was conquered with SUVs with less than 200 hp. I think the IG will be fine.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Or 100BHP per litre of displacement!

When I lived in Perth WA a few years back I bought a Ford Falcon with the 2.3 Ecoboost (240 bhp) engine which I thought was pretty impressive at the time. One of the locals soon put me in my place:

'Mate, the only good thing that comes in less than 3 litres is orange juice'

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
When I lived in Perth WA a few years back I bought a Ford Falcon with the 2.3 Ecoboost (240 bhp) engine which I thought was pretty impressive at the time. One of the locals soon put me in my place:

'Mate, the only good thing that comes in less than 3 litres is orange juice'
My old 911 is 2994 +/- 6cc :D

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
You're lucky: in the 'liters' dimension, we still accept it's 3 Liters. :cool:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At its edge in stock tune? That isn’t confidence inspiring.

If I wanted a speed/power demon, I’d just go with a Jeep 392.

The known world was conquered with SUVs with less than 200 hp. I think the IG will be fine.

@stickshifter Has done lots of investigation on the matter. This is a quote from one of his posts:

"The lower torque rating of the 8HP51 becomes a concern for some people, who have expressed concern about the power of the B58 in the Grenadier, which is 282 HP and 332 lb. ft of torque; the Grenadier is heavy (5,875 pounds for the gas version), and some people feel that it might be under-powered. Note that concerns around this topic vary considerably based on the elevation a person lives at, the intended use for the vehicle, and a person's expectations. A common solution with a forced induction engine is to tune it for more power (it is typically very easy to tune forced induction engines). However, the max torque rating of the 8HP51 is just 11% higher than the existing torque output of the B58, so there isn't much headroom there. Many people are not concerned about the power of the B58 in the Grenadier, and so are not concerned about the difference between the two transmissions. That's a synopsis of multiple discussions on this forum on this topic."

That thread can be found here: THREAD

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@stickshifter Has done lots of investigation on the matter. This is a quote from one of his posts:

"The lower torque rating of the 8HP51 becomes a concern for some people, who have expressed concern about the power of the B58 in the Grenadier, which is 282 HP and 332 lb. ft of torque; the Grenadier is heavy (5,875 pounds for the gas version), and some people feel that it might be under-powered. Note that concerns around this topic vary considerably based on the elevation a person lives at, the intended use for the vehicle, and a person's expectations. A common solution with a forced induction engine is to tune it for more power (it is typically very easy to tune forced induction engines). However, the max torque rating of the 8HP51 is just 11% higher than the existing torque output of the B58, so there isn't much headroom there. Many people are not concerned about the power of the B58 in the Grenadier, and so are not concerned about the difference between the two transmissions. That's a synopsis of multiple discussions on this forum on this topic."

That thread can be found here: THREAD
Interesting. Just from a cursory glance around the web before I read the other thread, it would seem that the 8HP is used in a wide range of applications. With out knowing what was in the IG, I’d say that the 8HP70 seems more appropriate than the 8HP51.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. Just from a cursory glance around the web before I read the other thread, it would seem that the 8HP is used in a wide range of applications. With out knowing what was in the IG, I’d say that the 8HP70 seems more appropriate than the 8HP51.
It would have been simpler to just use the trans on the B57 for all the trucks; I can't imaging there being a significant price difference on their end.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What are the physical dimensions of each? Is there something that this takes account of?

jamgolf

Forum Supporter
Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
I currently have a Toyota 4Runner and while I do not think its 4-liter V6 with 270 hp and 278 ft-lb of torque is underpowered on flat surfaces, I feel going over 10K mountain passes here in Colorado, the 5 gears (it's probably one of the very few vehicles in 2023 being sold with 5-speed transmission) feel too few and it hunts for the right gear and struggles to find the right ratio. I think the 8-speed ZF in Ineos with 285 hp and 330ish ft-lb torque will be plenty for any scenario suited to this vehicle's intended purpose.

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
I currently have a Toyota 4Runner and while I do not think its 4-liter V6 with 270 hp and 278 ft-lb of torque is underpowered on flat surfaces, I feel going over 10K mountain passes here in Colorado, the 5 gears (it's probably one of the very few vehicles in 2023 being sold with 5-speed transmission) feel too few and it hunts for the right gear and struggles to find the right ratio. I think the 8-speed ZF in Ineos with 285 hp and 330ish ft-lb torque will be plenty for any scenario suited to this vehicle's intended purpose.
This is my thinking too. Normally aspirated vehicles loose as much as 30% of their power at 10k feet while a turbo charged vehicle like the Grenadier should maintain a good chuck of its efficiency (assuming the turbo is sized correctly). So the difference should be bigger.

Someone mentioned the white knuckle affair of getting stuck behind semis doing 50mph over mountain pass while traffic is doing 75-85mph. Having that extra power is the difference between arriving after a long trip relaxed and rested vs tired and anxious.

I'm curious to see if the Grenadier be able to deal with the heat. Early Supras and BMW 1 Series using the B58 engine were having heat sink and limp mode issues during hot track days. Some passes in Arizona take hours to traverse in over 100 degree heat. A buddy and I were towing a small dirt bike trailer to Payson, AZ in his F-150 ecoboost. We hit limp mode twice. Hopefully Ineos' turbo and cooling are spec'd to deal with sustained loads.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It would have been simpler to just use the trans on the B57 for all the trucks; I can't imaging there being a significant price difference on their end.
It'll be something to do with emissions or efficiency or some other variable I imagine. Or different torque curves or something. Or something else.

jamgolf

Forum Supporter
Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
Good point about the advantage of turbocharger/supercharger at altitude @Traffic
One thing that still has me wondering is the effect of Ineos's extra 1200-1500 lbs weight compared to a 4Runner.

SilverNZ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score

SilverNZ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score
I have just had my fully laden 2012 Defender blow a turbo (and associated debris through the induction path) 1000km from home with a 3 tonne boat on the back, so needed to find a way to get the boat and all our gear back home. I bought a 2018 3.0D Jeep Grand Cherokee and it did a pretty good job of getting us home. The reason I bring it up is that the Jeep weighs 2.3 tonnes, has 570NM and runs the ZF 8 speed transmission (I think)...so it's pretty similar in general metrics to a diesel Grenadier. We had a sailing dinghy strapped to the roof rack too so aerodynamics were probably worse than a Grenadier.

I never once thought I needed more power on the hills. Some of them are quite long and steepen at the end but the Jeep could have done them at illegal speeds if I was brave enough. The limiting factor of the Jeep was that it didn't seem to have the stability of the Defender on bumpy roads. It felt like the boat was throwing the Jeep around a bit. The Defender was always pretty solid...but then perhaps I was just going slower.

So I imagine the Grenadier will have plenty of pull. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I accidently closed the forum when I was about to reply to a long post about the power to weight ratio of the IG vs a Ford Superduty, the argument being that both weighed about the same but the Superduty had twice the power...... (sorry, my "old" brain forgot the contributor - who will likely point me to the right thread, which I can no longer find.
Anyway to elaborate, from my experience overlanding with my 1995 NAS D90. This has the entire drivetrain from the transfer case to the wheels changed out for HD components, a modest lift, lockers, a Warn 827, a very comprehensive toolkit and spares to allow remote repairs (belts/hoses/ water pump/alternator/etc.... I have everything I need for 7 days without touching civilization (extra 20 gals gas, food and water/other beverages, camping gear). Fully loaded, it comes in well over 6000 lbs ( actually weighed it on a friends car-balancing setup, where each wheel is independently weighed, when I was setting up springs to take the load!)
It is "powered" by the original rover v-8: 3.9 lt, 183 HP, 233 ft-lb (316 nm).
I have travelled very many times from Houston to the fun States of Arizona/Utah/Colorado/Wyoming, where with friends we would get ourselves in some "interesting" remote places, requiring the use of lockers and winches at times to keep going. And of course, we got (altitude!) pretty high as well......... And, with that "poor" power to weight ratio, I never felt I had insufficient power,
So, I am hoping that the IG, with 285 hp and 450Nm will be sufficient for my needs, even if I go to the maximum permitted load,,,,,,,
It was a ridiculous comparison, the F250 Super Duty has a towing capacity of over 9 tonnes in diesel form. Not even close to the same playing field.

Local time
Reaction score
It was a ridiculous comparison, the F250 Super Duty has a towing capacity of over 9 tonnes in diesel form. Not even close to the same playing field.

Good grief, maybe you should read the post before sounding so sure of yourself: it was not the Ford diesel being referenced, and I clearly state that the vehicles are of a completely different class. Your comment comes across as under-informed, and a little rude. Lastly, I didn't ask for this topic to be revived, but I'm annoyed enough by your post to engage (though its probably not worthwhile).

Here is the post that you commented on - it is Post #15 in the thread Interesting Marketing Approach. I've changed the font color of the section you commented on, and put it in bold, to help you locate the relevant information:

START OF POST ---------------------------------------------

Yes, of course you are correct: no one is forced to purchase a Grenadier, and Ineos must operate as a for-profit business. But read the comments in response to Grenadier videos on YouTube, and most Americans are expressing similar concerns to those I have expressed here. I think most Americans who have followed the development of the Grenadier have a lot of respect for what Sir Jim is attempting, and we are excited that a vehicle we have long-wanted is finally coming to our shores. American 4x4 enthusiasts have long-bemoaned the departure of the old Defender in 1997, and the 70-series Landcruiser in 1987. Those who have followed the Grenadier closely, also understand that it was Sir Jim's goal to build a vehicle for global overland travel, where the key requirements are durability, payload, and traction on rough roads and/or moderate tracks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these goals, and - in fact - this is what the majority of overlanders want (whether they are European, Australian, or American). However, there is some divergence in use-requirements between the “global market” (Europe and Australia), and the American market. These are my observations:

Most people in Europe and Australia who are shopping for a rugged 4x4 vehicle, are interested in overlanding - which I will define as adventure travel by vehicle, in which durability, payload, and traction are the key criteria.

A lot of people in America who are shopping for a rugged 4x4 vehicle, want the same thing that Europeans & Australians want (a durable vehicle, with good payload, and good traction).

(1) Here is where I see the first diversion between the global market and the American market: Americans seem to have different ideas about what level of power is appropriate for an overland vehicle. I think this is particularly true in the Mountain West, where our highways run over high passes, speed limits range from 65 to 85 mph, there are a lot of freight trucks on the road, and an under-powered vehicle feels unsafe (or just tedious).

(2) A second diversion between the global market and American market is that many Americans go "sport off-roading" (for want of a better term). By this I mean driving really hard trails just to see if they can. They build up their off-road rigs with 35, 37, or 40-inch tires, and test their vehicles and driving skill on very technical terrain. I think a lot of "overlanders" look down on "off-roading" because it involves using a vehicle for sport, and this is seen as a waste of natural resources, and as a source of unnecessary air, noise, or water pollution. In contrast, "overlanders" use a vehicle to travel to somewhere beautiful, or remote, or to access the back-country for recreation (climbing, hiking, camping, skiing, hunting, fishing, etc.). Overlanders often regard their use as more ethical than off-roading. Under careful scrutiny, I'm not sure if the distinction holds up, but I understand the argument.

(3) There is also cross-over between the overland and off-road community in America. This is especially true where trails to access recreation are technical. As the Mountain West has gotten more crowded, more and more people are using vehicles to travel hard technical trails in the hope of finding some solitude. This may be related to another difference in culture: I think that many Europeans are used to their mountains being crowded, while Americans are not. I have climbed extensively in the French, Swiss, and Julian Alps, and the climbing routes are packed; wild camping is often forbidden, and the mountain huts are booked solid. Many Americans in the Mountain West have an expectation of solitude when they head out into the mountains, but this has been changing quickly. Many of us are trying to cope by driving deeper into the back-country before starting our recreation. For example, I never go “off-roading”, but I have run 35-inch tires on multiple vehicles in order to access remote trails for climbing, camping, hunting, etc.

Summary: Americans who have followed the development of the Grenadier understand that the vehicle is intended for overlanding. We don’t think that there is anything wrong with that, but we are really trying to figure out if it will also be suitable for some of the things we may value that the global overland community does not, such as those I mentioned above: adequate power for highway driving at elevation, and adaptability to technical terrain. With respect to these two criteria, these are the concerns that I and many other Americans have expressed:

(1) The Grenadier does not have a great power-to-weight ratio; the gas-powered Grenadier is almost as heavy as the gas-powered (7.3 liter, single rear wheel, 4x4, regular cab) Ford F250 SuperDuty – which is a gigantic truck – but the Grenadier makes just 65% of the HP, and 69% of the torque that the big Ford makes. And while the vehicles are close in weight, the 7.3 Ford has a payload of 3,500 pounds (nearly double that of the Grenadier) and can tow 28,000 pounds (almost 4 times that of the Grenadier). On the surface, there seems to be no reason to ever compare the two vehicles, until you look at the fact that they are nearly the same weight. Lastly, there isn’t much room for tuning the B58, since the ZF transmission paired with the gas engine is the 8HP51, which has a max torque capacity of 369 lb. ft.

(2) There isn’t an “off-road” package from the manufacturer (larger tires & re-geared axles) and we don’t know yet how easy it will be to modify the Grenadier on our own (lots of technical discussions of this elsewhere).

If the gas engine came with the 8HP76 (as does the diesel), and if there were an “off-road” package from Ineos, I think many Americans would feel like the American market was important to Ineos. I’ve become frustrated at waiting to see if the Grenadier can be what I want it to be, and I recognize that this is my problem, not anyone else’s. At this point, I just want to know if
I am best served taking my business elsewhere, or if I should continue to wait.

This is the last time I’ll post on these topics, as I am sure it is tedious for members of the forum. My apologies for beating a dead horse. Time to move along.

END OF POST -------------------------------------------------

As to the topic at hand - "Is the Grenadier under powered?" - we are all free to hold whatever opinion we choose, but the conversation is not so absurd that it should be ridiculed. For example, about six months ago I posted the chart below - which was data I happened to have in an Excel spreadsheet; it was my own personal research on a handful of vehicles that I have either owned, or that I considered buying. This was never meant to be a comprehensive list of vehicles, but you will notice some that are more relevant as a comparison than the Ford SuperDuty, a comparison which has clearly got you bothered. The Grenadier came last in both these tables (power-to-weight ratio, and torque-to-weight ratio). So I thought it a topic worth discussing.

Yes, these are max power and max torque figures, and do not capture information provided by a dyno test, which would show at what RPM the power and torque are made. Its not my full time job to research that info - I was providing the info that I had. That's what people tend to do on a forum. I noted this when I posted it, and said quite clearly that the Grenadier - because it has a forced induction engine - will make much better power at low RPMs than the naturally aspirated V6 engines in this list - and as a consequence, it will drive much better than an engine that needs to be revved high to make power.

Power_Weight.jpg

Frankly, I'm a bit baffled by unwillingness to consider other perspectives. Cordial disagreement is part of participating in a forum.

Folks can do with information what they want, but I'm not interested in talking about it anymore. As I said at the end of the post that has since been revived: Time to move along.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom