The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is the IG underpowered?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
Yeah: I can't imagine any scenario where you would want to rev the engine that much in low. I would think 45-50 an absolute max if you are wanting a vehicle that will last......... In all my years ofoff-road driving, I don't think I have ever done much more than 0 mph in Low....
It is designed for towing a heavy trailer on road.
Most vehicles when you engage low gear the diff is locked and you would damage the vehicle doing that.
In this case the diff is unlocked so it is no different to having high and low range in a truck.
Trucks last for many years

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
It is designed for towing a heavy trailer on road.
Most vehicles when you engage low gear the diff is locked and you would damage the vehicle doing that.
In this case the diff is unlocked so it is no different to having high and low range in a truck.
Trucks last for many years
I used my old Hilux 2.4L a lot in low range and because the engine wasn’t that powerful, a lot of the time using high revs, when towing offroad for work or when in deep soft sand when overlanding. My defender also under powered at 2.2L so had to work the engine hard in low ratio, when in deep mud or especially deep soft sand, as fully loaded up to about 3T when travelling. I would always use the defender in low ratio with open centre differential when reversing with a trailer. With the Grenadier I will so use low ration with open differential when reversing with a trailer.
What i found with hilux is when in deep soft sand , in high 4 wheel drive in first gear the engine would over heat. Let cool down and use low ratio 4 wheel drive in second or third gear and no over heating.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
We are living in a time of almost limitless horsepower in cars- and instant acceleration from electric motors. A 2023 Honda Odyssey minivan would dominate an early 1980s Corvette. So, what is 'slow' today would be a monster 30 years ago.

AND, you can easily tweak the B58 to over 500hp for $1500, or so the interwebs says.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
We are living in a time of almost limitless horsepower in cars- and instant acceleration from electric motors. A 2023 Honda Odyssey minivan would dominate an early 1980s Corvette. So, what is 'slow' today would be a monster 30 years ago.

AND, you can easily tweak the B58 to over 500hp for $1500, or so the interwebs says.
This is all true. But tuning the B58 isn’t too possible, not because it can’t do it, but the trans it at its power/torque edge at stock.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
This is all true. But tuning the B58 isn’t too possible, not because it can’t do it, but the trans it at its power/torque edge at stock.
I’m getting the petrol version. And coming from the vehicles I’ve owned before, the Grenadier will have plenty enough power for me. 👍🏼

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:03 PM
Reaction score
Monitoring this thread since a while.. lads? Are you serious?
What do you want, a proper off-road vehicle or something like this Brabus GWagons that are used by these pimps and other monkey business people.. side pipes etc.
IG has aerodynamic capability of El Capitan or Eiger North in Switzerland.. serious 160 km/h near 100mph and sufficient torque. the powertrain is made to last and to be reliable. WTF needs a vehicle that breaks in the middle of nowhere because someone put the system beyond reliability.
I was just imagining a lowered IG with sidepipes, low sidewall tyres with 20 inch rims, Spoilers .. floor lighting club machine in downtown Munich.. this is sending acold shiver 🥶 down my spine.
Serious this might happen but still something that could make me throw up.
To me Grenadier has a sufficient powertrain..
What might be acceptable for some applications lift, portalaxle or track system. But an IG as a pimps ride ..
Just my 2ct.. Dear Sir Jim what kind of avalanche you started.. Ts Ts Ts..
Do what yer want..

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Take a look at this video and compare the power figures from old to new vehicle.
Then watch the performance over obstacles.
it clearly shows that if you select the right vehicle setup power isn't that important
I don't agree with his conclusion either

Reactions: Max

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have your answer to underpowered SUV/4WD's

BYD YangWang U8 – Hardcore Off-road SUV With 1,100 Hp & Amazing Features​

If anything is coming from the land in the east.. I assume copycat, cloning, stealing knowledge and awful treatment of people. Also the book the Art if War.
WTF is this? A can do everything piece of plastic and LED.. what I ve seen so far is some stuff on ice, a bit of run flat, a bit of float.
Some nicknacks like a tracked vehicle .. a mixture of new defender style plus some hyundai and some ford in the front.
Hyper "modern" - and definitely not to be repaired in the middle of nowhere. also it seems to be an E.Drive vehicle
Pimp's ride. Quoting Shania Twain "That doesn't impressing me much"
If they do something like Ineos did in the past - we perhaps can talk again.. A honest manufacturer does not need prototype cover.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If anything is coming from the land in the east.. I assume copycat, cloning, stealing knowledge and awful treatment of people. Also the book the Art if War.
WTF is this? A can do everything piece of plastic and LED.. what I ve seen so far is some stuff on ice, a bit of run flat, a bit of float.
Some nicknacks like a tracked vehicle .. a mixture of new defender style plus some hyundai and some ford in the front.
Hyper "modern" - and definitely not to be repaired in the middle of nowhere. also it seems to be an E.Drive vehicle
Pimp's ride. Quoting Shania Twain "That doesn't impressing me much"
If they do something like Ineos did in the past - we perhaps can talk again.. A honest manufacturer does not need prototype cover.
I can't even imagine the reaction you would get in a pub if you said to someone, man, woman, gender neutral or gender fluid, do you want to come outside and look at my YangWang

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can't even imagine the reaction you would get in a pub if you said to someone, man, woman, gender neutral or gender fluid, do you want to come outside and look at my YangWang
Exactly. But there is one thing. The Chinese learn quite fast. Do not underestimate. However there is one thing in most asian people.
There few leaders and many followers. They tend to be in group - so individuality is never their point.
Great ideas, innovations, findings and inventions are always bound to a person and individual spirit. There is no such thing as individualism in China, Japan, Korea.

There's always Family, Clan first. When they call themselves there is always family name first. Not the given name.
Great in improving and doing things.. but lack of real innovative ideas. They may have great thinkers and innovators but buried in clans & traditions.

The car would have impressed me if the powertrain were electric and a micro fusion powerplant inside lasting a couple of years continous power w/o refueling.
That would be an innovation.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I remember as a kid 40 years ago asking my dad what makes a car a 'proper' sports car. His answer was swift and spoken with much authority:

100 BHP per ton, son.

🤣
Or 100BHP per litre of displacement!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the powertrain is fully electric.

It is impressive but that could be partly the music!!

no wading depth issue - maybe it can be a submarine as well!

Imagine the inside styling - no basic big buttons for glove wearing lumberjacks

Back
Top Bottom