The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Inverter retrofit . New deliveries I need your help .

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes Thanks for taming the pictures. I am wondering if the inverter is connected to one of the smartpass outlets. Can you confirm the wiring to the converter? I am planning to retrofit one and of course, it would be good to see how the ineos engineers have solved the problem.
Sorry I am late to the thread. Here is a picture of the inverter mounted. I have pictures of the connectors if you would like. Also I had the battery covers out over the weekend but didnt see this request until today. I will try and see where the wiring starts in the battery area later this week.

Attachments

• INVERTER.jpg
    INVERTER.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 193

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes , can you also explain when your invertor is powered? Ignition on? Motor running? One of the switches? Always (would guess a "no" here)?
On a USA spec vehicle the inverter is on with the engine running or you can flip the PWR switch in the overhead console and that allows it to be on with ignition off.

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
Sorry I am late to the thread. Here is a picture of the inverter mounted. I have pictures of the connectors if you would like. Also I had the battery covers out over the weekend but didnt see this request until today. I will try and see where the wiring starts in the battery area later this week.
Thank you so much! this is why I like this forum.

Good to see the mounting bracket. What still would be interesting where the inverter is electrically is connected to. Did you follow the cables? I am still wondering if I should mount the inverter to the starter battery as all other consumers or to the second battery.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
What a legend you are my man !!! Thank you !!!
Any pictures of the connectors and the battery set up etc would be perfect . It seems the initial data we had is correct . I am more convinced now that retrofit is possible .

Thank you kind Sir !!!

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you so much! this is why I like this forum.

Good to see the mounting bracket. What still would be interesting where the inverter is electrically is connected to. Did you follow the cables? I am still wondering if I should mount the inverter to the starter battery as all other consumers or to the second battery.

What a legend you are my man !!! Thank you !!!
Any pictures of the connectors and the battery set up etc would be perfect . It seems the initial data we had is correct . I am more convinced now that retrofit is possible .

Thank you kind Sir !!
I will be back in the battery box sometime this week to investigate the front off road only aux lights. I will send pics of what i find on the inverter wiring while I am there. Retro fit is probably possible. Also one thing to note is that the rear trim panel is different on vehicles with inverter. It is vented for air flow.

Attachments

• TRIM.jpg
    TRIM.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 146

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I will be back in the battery box sometime this week to investigate the front off road only aux lights. I will send pics of what i find on the inverter wiring while I am there. Retro fit is probably possible. Also one thing to note is that the rear trim panel is different on vehicles with inverter. It is vented for air flow.
This looks interesting. I could cut the venting in my housing if I do the retrofit in a similar way. Still thinking about the cabling.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
quarter panel available for order form ineos . The vents are nto the only change . it has a different hump yo accomodate for the inverter . Not really expensive i think aprox 250 ? if i recall correctly and then it comes with the holes for the pulgs already pre drilled .

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here is what I found. The control wires going into the ac inverter go to a connector and then into the main wiring harness. From there we would need a wiring diagram. If you have that connector it would be very easy to add. The power comes off the power block by the main battery. See red arrow for location of connector.

Attachments

• IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    577.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3248.jpeg
    IMG_3248.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3252.jpeg
    IMG_3252.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 85

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here is what I found. The control wires going into the ac inverter go to a connector and then into the main wiring harness. From there we would need a wiring diagram. If you have that connector it would be very easy to add. The power comes off the power block by the main battery. See red arrow for location of connector.
good man this is what i pieced together also . the main power to the inverter is from the buss bar you pointed at . the only change would be the fuse between the 400w and 2000 w inverter .

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
good man this is what i pieced together also . the main power to the inverter is from the buss bar you pointed at . the only change would be the fuse between the 400w and 2000 w inverter .
I am installing my "supposedly" 2800 Watt Chinese invertor. (This is peak, so in fact it is a "more or less" 1400 Watt). The fuse inside the invertor is 120A.
I replaced last week the "unused" 60A fuse in the middle position of the buss bar by a 100A fuse. I made a short test with a 20W lamp, and it worked. I still have to do a 1000W test and mounting all my removed trims back in place. I'll post pictures when finished.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
Do you think the stock unit could be swapped out for a higher wattage unit?

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do you think the stock unit could be swapped out for a higher wattage unit?
It has 8 gauge power and ground wires which can supply a lot of power. They are direct to the battery from what I see. No fuses. So depending on what inverter you want to swap with I don’t think it would be hard.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It has 8 gauge power and ground wires which can supply a lot of power. They are direct to the battery from what I see. No fuses. So depending on what inverter you want to swap with I don’t think it would be hard.
There has to be a fuse on the buss bar . Or is it directly connected to the positive battery terminal ? If i am not mistaken the inverter power wire is red with a brown stripe .

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes red with brown stripe. Maybe 3rd post from the outside if I remember correctly. May be a fuse on the bar. I need to check again but I have covers back on until the next project.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes red with brown stripe. Maybe 3rd post from the outside if I remember correctly. May be a fuse on the bar. I need to check again but I have covers back on until the next project.
The buss bar accepts z littlefuse fuses . They are sandwiched between the post and the nut . They have their rating written on the side .

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
I am installing my "supposedly" 2800 Watt Chinese invertor. (This is peak, so in fact it is a "more or less" 1400 Watt). The fuse inside the invertor is 120A.
I replaced last week the "unused" 60A fuse in the middle position of the buss bar by a 100A fuse. I made a short test with a 20W lamp, and it worked. I still have to do a 1000W test and mounting all my removed trims back in place. I'll post pictures when finished.
Remind me again what you will be powering?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
I don't know, only for the fun of having it, perhaps charging my computer when travelling? :LOL:
You don't need such a big inverter. If you were running an induction cooker or charging multiple batteries that's different.
Don't burn the house down!

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You don't need such a big inverter. If you were running an induction cooker or charging multiple batteries that's different.
Don't burn the house down!
I know, like I said: for the fun of having installed it myself, that's a valid reason. :cool:
Still have to put back my trims, but I am playing around with some other ideas.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think Jean is like me , go big or go home . I might not need it but i want it and in the future i might need it .

I mainly want it for charging stuff on the road and the wife cannot survive with out her hair dryer ( dont ask ) . So i covered on all aspects .

Jean keep going i am intrigued with what you will come up with .

Back
Top Bottom