The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Interesting quote from Lynn Calder on US spec vehicles

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score

Conclusion: as a coffee shop owner who imports his coffee himself from Rome, Italy. Prioritize freshness of beans (oxidation NOT roast date), a bag of beans, once the bag is opened, will fully oxidize in about 36 hours. Next time you go to grab an espresso, ask to see the shot’s immediate after extraction, if it does have a head of Crema on the top (like a Guinness Beer), it’s stale beans AKA a flat shot, AKA garbage!
assume you mean if it does not have a crema it is stale?

Interesting youre importing from italy; are there no quality roasters local to you?
I find less noticeable oxidation, or maybe not quite as quick. At home a kilo lasts 10-12 days, it tends to settle in around 7 days from roast date (I start using it at about 4 or 5 days), but I dont notice a drop in the cup quality until the last couple of days. Stored in folded over bag on cool shelf.

given the beans gas off so much in the bag, not sure how you can get best start from ‘intercontinental beans’. You obviously know what youre doing though!

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:58 PM
Reaction score
@Mr.Espresso I don't want to be a part of hijacking the thread (maybe we take it to the Pub thread) but would you know what Jura uses?
A quick googling for a set of replacement burrs for a Juru turns up conical burs, so it looks like your machine uses Conical burs.

But trust me, the most important step to a good coffee is using not-stale beans! And the best cup you can EVER truly make (coffee shop quality), is a Moka Pot, or French Press!!!

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
assume you mean if it does not have a crema it is stale?

Interesting youre importing from italy; are there no quality roasters local to you?
I find less noticeable oxidation, or maybe not quite as quick. At home a kilo lasts 10-12 days, it tends to settle in around 7 days from roast date (I start using it at about 4 or 5 days), but I dont notice a drop in the cup quality until the last couple of days. Stored in folded over bag on cool shelf.

given the beans gas off so much in the bag, not sure how you can get best start from ‘intercontinental beans’. You obviously know what youre doing though!

James, hang your own shingle, and serve 300 cups per hour, and then we can talk! Thanks for chiming in…!

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:58 PM
Reaction score
James, hang your own shingle, and serve 300 cups per hour, and then we can talk! Thanks for chiming in…!
Making sure I got this straight...

So, if it comes out from the machine with NO creama, that's good?
And if it has a head, then it IS FLAT?

Learn something everyday.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Making sure I got this straight...

So, if it comes out from the machine with NO creama, that's good?
And if it has a head, then it IS FLAT?

Learn something everyday.
If you're a coffee foodie , which I'm certainly not , there are many levels of subtleness, providing hours of conversation no doubt.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I also learnt the colourless , odourless gas , CO2, has a flavour 😉
What a waste of science classes, I'm devastated.
" As Robertsen pointed out, crema is packed with C02, which lends an extra bitterness..."

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, they were questions, I wasnt looking for a put down. Thanks though. Its not like we know anything about coffee in Australia, or I havent served professionally. I have the luxury of only needing to make them at home now. Variety is everyone’s perogative, but choosing espresso without crema…. Certainly not he norm.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:58 PM
Reaction score
I own coffee shops in the Midwest. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Flat Burrs: popular amongst 3rd wave coffee shops. Their burrs produce similar fines (particle sizes). Predominantly this type of grinder is only popular in USA.

CONICAL burrs: this is proper way, to pull an espresso. Will not find a single coffee shop in the whole of Italy using anything other than conical burr grinders due to the fact these burrs produce two shapes of fines (particle sizes), which is important. The smaller of the two fines slows down the extraction, allowing the big fines to really have all the goodness extracted out of them.

Important note: conical grinders are always the commercial equipment most expensive model. We use a Mazzer Robur S in our coffee shops, and it is easily the range topping grinder from Mazzer in Venice, Italy.

What any coffee drinker should be primarily concerned about is not so much equipment as discussed here, but bean oxidation and its major contributing factor to “flat/dead” espresso shots. Just like when you cut an apple, and let it sit on the counter to turn brown (oxidation), the same
Happens to roasted coffee. You just can’t see it because the coffee is already roasted dark.

Conclusion: as a coffee shop owner who imports his coffee himself from Rome, Italy. Prioritize freshness of beans (oxidation NOT roast date), a bag of beans, once the bag is opened, will fully oxidize in about 36 hours. Next time you go to grab an espresso, ask to see the shot’s immediate after extraction, if it does have a head of Crema on the top (like a Guinness Beer), it’s stale beans AKA a flat shot, AKA garbage!
I got hooked into the (for me, expensive) Technivorm Moccamaster drip coffee maker a couple of years back. I'm a drip coffee drinker, so don't shoot me. But, that said, it has a wonderful, thick head of crema every pot I brew. I grind immediately before the brew each time, and gently stir the grounds as they start getting wet to ensure uniformity. I have a Breville (I think, conical burr) grinder. I'm on scheduled shipments of roast-to-order Mizner Estate coffee from Boca Java in Denver. It's as good a cup of coffee as I need every day and the best bagged roasted bean I've found, to my palate. That said, if I'm at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans or Versailles (Cuban cafe con leche) in Miami, I'm drinking a coffee there for sure.

Starbucks is absolute shit and is often worse than gas station whatever swill coffee. Someone offers a Starbucks run, I'll generally order an Earl Grey tea or chai latte.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
(Moderator hat on) - This thread has swerved all over the place - shame it doesn't have drowsy driver detection.

A few folks have reached out asking to tidy it up. Let's start a coffee discussion in the Pub section and try to steer back into arguing about NA v ROW vehicles, the proper quantity and placement of cup holders, and price adjustment between model years.

Plus, we all know proper coffee enthusiasts like instant coffee:

1699010743611.png

Attachments

• 1699010742361.png
    1699010742361.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
@Mr.Espresso I don't want to be a part of hijacking the thread (maybe we take it to the Pub thread) but would you know what Jura uses?
Ha! you have a Jura? Me too. I guess you could say I am lazy, but theconvenience of one button push, for me, outweighs the difference in uality you get with a manual machine (all that grinding on a soeparate device, loading and tamping "just right", making sure youur water temp is just right, etc...... I have one machine that is well over ten tears old and has been flawless (except when it was in storage for about a year and I sent it back to the distributors for refurbishment. It is now my backup (and actually load it into my vehicle when going on holiday in my borther-in-laws place in Pensacola). The second has been pulling six to ten espressos a day for the last 6 years and never blinked. Excellent machines!

Mr.Espresso

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Ha! you have a Jura? Me too. I guess you could say I am lazy, but theconvenience of one button push, for me, outweighs the difference in uality you get with a manual machine (all that grinding on a soeparate device, loading and tamping "just right", making sure youur water temp is just right, etc...... I have one machine that is well over ten tears old and has been flawless (except when it was in storage for about a year and I sent it back to the distributors for refurbishment. It is now my backup (and actually load it into my vehicle when going on holiday in my borther-in-laws place in Pensacola). The second has been pulling six to ten espressos a day for the last 6 years and never blinked. Excellent machines!

The best cup of coffee, is the one you enjoy!!!

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Are conical grinders bad?
I was just kidding. But the flat burrs isolate flavors better (they are more for modern espresso). Conical burrs mix in all the different flavors, which means you cannot taste anything specific but end up with a thick creamy "traditional" espresso shot.

This is one of those IFS vs solid axle discussions that we probably shouldn't get into lol.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
(Moderator hat on) - This thread has swerved all over the place - shame it doesn't have drowsy driver detection.

A few folks have reached out asking to tidy it up. Let's start a coffee discussion in the Pub section …
Only problem is ALL the great coffee info remaining in this thread ☕

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
If that comes to pass, I'll gracefully never buy a new car again.
My guess: the shut-down option is just a software update away in the Grenadier, and every other new car that is coming with "drowsy driver detection". You are going to want to shop for a 2022 or older to avoid this.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My guess: the shut-down option is just a software update away in the Grenadier, and every other new car that is coming with "drowsy driver detection". You are going to want to shop for a 2022 or older to avoid this.
I would say to that that the DOT cannot force upon you something not part of the car you purchased. Meaning, the as-sold spec does not have shutoff capability so unless they’re going to buy the truck back from me at full price, it shouldn’t be allowed. Can legislation force retrofitting to a car? I don’t think so.

Local time
Reaction score
American cawfee gets bagged out so much it is good to see there is someone over there doing proper coffee
I didn't think anyone drank espresso over here.
Shows you how bad stereotyping is.
In the 1950s, corporate agriculture and big food companies destroyed all kinds of natural, healthy food in the United States. In general, we lost access to good bread, good beer, and good coffee (among other things). But it has literally been decades since that was true. In a lot of the country, you can find bread, beer, and coffee that is as good as any in the world.

Local time
Reaction score
I would say to that that the DOT cannot force upon you something not part of the car you purchased. Meaning, the as-sold spec does not have shutoff capability so unless they’re going to buy the truck back from me at full price, it shouldn’t be allowed. Can legislation force retrofitting to a car? I don’t think so.
Good point. I hope you are right.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the 1950s, corporate agriculture and big food companies destroyed all kinds of natural, healthy food in the United States. In general, we lost access to good bread, good beer, and good coffee (among other things). But it has literally been decades since that was true. In a lot of the country, you can find bread, beer, and coffee that is as good as any in the world.
I think Starbucks opening around the world and proclaiming to be American coffee has done a lot of harm.
Also pretty much every TV show and movie shows constant refills of drip coffee that has been sitting and stewing away for hours.
Not to mention mega grande cup sizes.

Back
Top Bottom