The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Interesting quote from Lynn Calder on US spec vehicles

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
"We've learned a lot (after the start of European production). It's not a vastly different vehicle that we're building, but the US will, I hope, customers will be the determinant, but the U.S. will benefit from everything we learned last year. And we'll be getting a kind of more modern configuration of the car.”

This was from an Autoweek article about the Quartermaster launch at Goodwood. Seems like they're taking lessons learned from early deliveries and making adjustments before building US spec vehicles. As a US buyer, I'm pumped to hear this! Lots more info in the article.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/truck...pickup-talks-3-more-models-coming-after-that/
As a US buyer, I had the opposite reaction. What this mostly means is that the US-spec vehicles are coming with all the modern nannies that a lot of Grenadier buyers were hoping to avoid when they signed-up to purchase a "simple" modern vehicle. These include: (1) lane-keep assist, (2) autonomous braking - which is notoriously problematic (yeah, it will save some lives, but it would save more lives if people stopped texting while driving) and (3) drowsy driver detection (a new name for "drunk-driver detection") - which alerts you if it detects that you are drowsy or drunk. According to Section 24220 of the Infrastructure and Investment Act, which passed drowsy-driver detection into law, the software should have the capability of shutting down a vehicle if the drowsy driver continues to drive - but it remains to be seen if and when that part of it rolls out. Again, this may save some lives, but its not something I want in my vehicle - mostly due to the potential for malfunction. Here is a copy-and-paste from Section 24220 of that act:
Software.jpg
I don't trust Ineos, or any other manufacturer, to produce this kind of software that works as intended.

Obviously, opinions will be divided on the issue of mandatory safety equipment in the Grenadier and all other U.S. vehicles. This is just my perspective.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
As a US buyer, I had the opposite reaction. What this mostly means is that the US-spec vehicles are coming with all the modern nannies that a lot of Grenadier buyers were hoping to avoid when they signed-up to purchase a "simple" modern vehicle. These include: (1) lane-keep assist, (2) autonomous braking - which is notoriously problematic (yeah, it will save some lives, but it would save more lives if people stopped texting while driving) and (3) drowsy driver detection (a new name for "drunk-driver detection") - which alerts you if it detects that you are drowsy or drunk. According to Section 24220 of the Infrastructure and Investment Act, which passed drowsy-driver detection into law, the software should have the capability of shutting down a vehicle if the drowsy driver continues to drive - but it remains to be seen if and when that part of it rolls out. Again, this may save some lives, but its not something I want in my vehicle - mostly due to the potential for malfunction. Here is a copy-and-paste from Section 24220 of that act:
View attachment 7831444
I don't trust Ineos, or any other manufacturer, to produce this kind of software that works as intended.

Obviously, opinions will be divided on the issue of mandatory safety equipment in the Grenadier and all other U.S. vehicles. This is just my perspective.
I agree with you.
Whatever happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions.
If you do not have the ability to steer a vehicle within your lane, brake when needed and identify when you are getting too tired to drive then pull over and take a break or a nap.

Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
View attachment 7831444

Agree but…as I get older, I like having a second opinion:)

Back
Top Bottom