The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Interesting quote from Lynn Calder on US spec vehicles

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
How many vehicles do you think they will sell in the US?
Their MY24 forecast for the US was something in the neighborhood of 40% of global production if memory serves me correctly

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I feel the US prices already reflect a price increase of about $10k over initial and EU pricing, though it seems more stuff is standard on the US models.

Feautures are one thing, getting rid of some of the reported bugs is more important to me.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
The bump in other markets is because of the switch from MY23 to MY24. The North American vehicles were always starting with MY24, so our pricing includes the "bump" the RoW is now seeing
Nailed it.

Local time
Reaction score
I think it was 10-15,000 vehicles which would put it around 25- 33%
Still a fair amount
Unless Ineos wishes to pay penalties for failing to meet CAFE requirements (and presumably pass along those costs), it is my understanding that they cannot sell more than about 5,500(?) per year to remain a "small manufacturer".

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:52 PM
Reaction score
Unless Ineos wishes to pay penalties for failing to meet CAFE requirements (and presumably pass along those costs), it is my understanding that they cannot sell more than about 5,500(?) per year to remain a "small manufacturer".
If correct that will make US sales less than each individually Australia, UK & Germany.
I think UK are limited to 6,500 (from memory??)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:52 PM
Reaction score
If correct that will make US sales less than each individually Australia, UK & Germany.
I think UK are limited to 6,500 (from memory??)
6000 vehicles in the U.K. of which 1700 can be passenger M1 and the remainder commercial N1
in EU it’s 10,000 passenger M1 and 22,000 commercial N1

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ah, so that is why there is a push to get them delivered (on US soil?) before the end of the year. Then get 5000 more next year, and then the electric version comes and helps them out. Or some other manufacturer brings them in as their model.

5000 per year, 100 per state. But not evenly distributed. I’d think CO would have more than their fair share.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ah, so that is why there is a push to get them delivered (on US soil?) before the end of the year. Then get 5000 more next year, and then the electric version comes and helps them out. Or some other manufacturer brings them in as their model.

5000 per year, 100 per state. But not evenly distributed. I’d think CO would have more than their fair share.
It was explained to me as per model year, not calendar year

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
"We've learned a lot (after the start of European production). It's not a vastly different vehicle that we're building, but the US will, I hope, customers will be the determinant, but the U.S. will benefit from everything we learned last year. And we'll be getting a kind of more modern configuration of the car.”

This was from an Autoweek article about the Quartermaster launch at Goodwood. Seems like they're taking lessons learned from early deliveries and making adjustments before building US spec vehicles. As a US buyer, I'm pumped to hear this! Lots more info in the article.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/truck...pickup-talks-3-more-models-coming-after-that/
It's good to learn that INEOS is willing to adjust Grenadier for the US market. For any mid-model upgrades, here's a short list from someone in a cold part of the US: heated steering wheel, heated back seats for the passengers, and on-board (internal) navigation system (in mountains my iPhone GPS/maps does not work & I have no cell service for calling anyone). These are not huge things to add in, and many markets don't need the extra heat options, so I get why it didn't make the first editions. But I live in a cold part of the country, and ordered my LR with heated everything, including a heated front windshield - and it works great! The on-board GPS/NAV system is probably a $2k upgrade - and I"m OK making folks like me that want it pay a bit extra; I have it now and it does have a greater reliability than my phone mapping, so I'd pay to have it on my next SUV.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's good to learn that INEOS is willing to adjust Grenadier for the US market. For any mid-model upgrades, here's a short list from someone in a cold part of the US: heated steering wheel, heated back seats for the passengers, and on-board (internal) navigation system (in mountains my iPhone GPS/maps does not work & I have no cell service for calling anyone). These are not huge things to add in, and many markets don't need the extra heat options, so I get why it didn't make the first editions. But I live in a cold part of the country, and ordered my LR with heated everything, including a heated front windshield - and it works great! The on-board GPS/NAV system is probably a $2k upgrade - and I"m OK making folks like me that want it pay a bit extra; I have it now and it does have a greater reliability than my phone mapping, so I'd pay to have it on my next SUV.
She didn't say we were getting US specific options, she said that since we are getting MY24 vehicles, they have some updates over the MY23 vehicles the RoW started with. The ethos has very much been a "global spec" vehicle from the start, personally, from a cost and parts savings perspective, I hope they keep up that ideology.

Every (mostly?) phone navigation app has the ability to download maps ahead of time (anytime we're travelling out of our immediate area I generally will download all the Google maps data for any planned travel ahead of time, as well as keep an extra app, like Here maps, that allows a full nationwide download ahead of time). The theory behind not including mapping was very clearly stated early on in the process, built-in maps get outdated very quickly, and for the most part, isn't frequently used, especially with the ultra wide adoption of Android Auto/Apple Car Play. Additionally, the built in mapping just doesn't have the same ability to search for things the way Google maps does (caveat to this being Volvo and their direct Google integration, but again, that requires a cell signal).

Local time
Reaction score
She didn't say we were getting US specific options, she said that since we are getting MY24 vehicles, they have some updates over the MY23 vehicles the RoW started with. The ethos has very much been a "global spec" vehicle from the start, personally, from a cost and parts savings perspective, I hope they keep up that ideology.

Every (mostly?) phone navigation app has the ability to download maps ahead of time (anytime we're traveling out of our immediate area I generally will download all the Google maps data for any planned travel ahead of time, as well as keep an extra app, like Here maps, that allows a full nationwide download ahead of time). The theory behind not including mapping was very clearly stated early on in the process, built-in maps get outdated very quickly, and for the most part, isn't frequently used, especially with the ultra wide adoption of Android Auto/Apple Car Play. Additionally, the built in mapping just doesn't have the same ability to search for things the way Google maps does (caveat to this being Volvo and their direct Google integration, but again, that requires a cell signal).
yea, I totally get your reasons for the phone based maps. it's a big country, and i've just had a different experience. my LR nav will continue when my iphone is not, so if the option is there for internal nave, I'd buy it. as for new roads, it's not really been an issue. on the other hand, if you're on a trip and loose/break your iphone (eek!) are you now directionless on your trip? I feel like I'm dependent enough on my iphone, so I like having the nav on the car and keep the phone for other tasks, but that's just me: belts & suspenders is how I roll.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
on the other hand, if you're on a trip and loose/break your iphone (eek!) are you now directionless on your trip?
While I'm definitely in the minority, I carry another phone (1 or 2 years old) ready to go with maps/etc downloaded and a data-only sim inserted in the vehicle at all times (additionally, another phone usually in the 2-3 year old range in the pocket of a backpack if we are hiking, in addition to my inReach). If my main phone is broken/lost, I can just add my e-sim to the backup phone and be back up to speed in 5-10 minutes, or, if without service, can at least use all the preloaded maps (again, this is assuming everything below here is for some reason not available)

That being said, for anything other than normal daily travel, my primary mapping source is a Garmin Tread XL, with an extra layer of redundancy as our "media watching" iPad is a cellular model with data sim and nationwide maps loaded in several apps (including coast to coast topo maps). If we are doing any sort of remote travel (no cell service expected for >1-2hrs of travel), I'll carry some form of paper mapping as well (Gazetteer or Nat Geo Trails Illustrated usually); back when we only used an iPad for off-road mapping it burned me once by not having a few grid squares that we needed, never again.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
Ineos had to make changes to the MY23 to make it compliant to US safely regulations. The rest of the world will have these with the MY 24.
I think you'll be waiting a long time for your wish list of "options " as it's not their ethos.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
While I'm definitely in the minority, I carry another phone (1 or 2 years old) ready to go with maps/etc downloaded and a data-only sim inserted in the vehicle at all times (additionally, another phone usually in the 2-3 year old range in the pocket of a backpack if we are hiking, in addition to my inReach). If my main phone is broken/lost, I can just add my e-sim to the backup phone and be back up to speed in 5-10 minutes, or, if without service, can at least use all the preloaded maps (again, this is assuming everything below here is for some reason not available)

That being said, for anything other than normal daily travel, my primary mapping source is a Garmin Tread XL, with an extra layer of redundancy as our "media watching" iPad is a cellular model with data sim and nationwide maps loaded in several apps (including coast to coast topo maps). If we are doing any sort of remote travel (no cell service expected for >1-2hrs of travel), I'll carry some form of paper mapping as well (Gazetteer or Nat Geo Trails Illustrated usually); back when we only used an iPad for off-road mapping it burned me once by not having a few grid squares that we needed, never again.
Well, I'm SOL for this plan.
My main cell phone is an iPhone 6s from 2015.

Back
Top Bottom