The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Homelink / Garage door opener available ??

Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing any mention of Homelink or garage door opener being available. 😢 Maybe this will force me to upgrade to a new garage door opener with updated tech.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
Not needed... just stop the vehicle and motion to the pax the need to open / close the garage door. You explain this is their privileged opportunity to actively participate in the journey.... simple! 🤣
If I had a dollar for every car I saw in my old neighbourhood parked out front, with a garage door remote on the dashboard, under the sun visor, or sitting in the centre console I would be rich.
We had a spate of cars being stolen from homes using the owners keys, which is the case in over 70% of car thefts in Australia.
Thieves just walk around looking in car windows, pop a lock or smash the window, hit the remote and then walk inside and grab the keys from the hook.
Then they steal the expensive car/cars that got the garage parking.
On the other side so many idiots just leave the garage door open until they go to bed.
Gives the thieves total access to the house.

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
My intention is to install a self tinting mirror that has Homelink integrated. I put one in my FJ80 and it worked like a charm.
Crabby any brand you recommend?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
It was Gentex I think. Can’t find the direct link thought. This was a few years back - pre Covid.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So, sorry- does it have a garage door opening system? I wish it was linked to one of the ‘aviation’ type buttons…

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So, sorry- does it have a garage door opening system? I wish it was linked to one of the ‘aviation’ type buttons…
Technically you could wire one of the overhead buttons to trigger a voltage stepdown converter(to whatever your garage remote runs on), thus giving it power and open/close the garage that way

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Really popular in Australia to have a garage door opener either mounted in your vehicle or as part of the vehicle standard equipment.
Thieves love it.
People leave their cars parked in the driveway and criminals jump in, hit the button and bingo, they now have access to the house.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
Really popular in Australia to have a garage door opener either mounted in your vehicle or as part of the vehicle standard equipment.
Thieves love it.
People leave their cars parked in the driveway and criminals jump in, hit the button and bingo, they now have access to the house.
On my cars, the built in garage door openers don't work if the ignition is off. So no fear there. I believe that's how most newer cars work.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It was Gentex I think. Can’t find the direct link thought. This was a few years back - pre Covid.
Thanks Krabby. It’s the one thing on my Defender I thought I would really miss if I couldn’t find a replacement. I think this is the way forward for all vehicles.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On my cars, the built in garage door openers don't work if the ignition is off. So no fear there. I believe that's how most newer cars work.
For our latest Toyotas ('18 and 2 '21s) the Homelink on the mirrors is powered constantly. I can't say it has ever been something I've much cared about as we haven't owned a vehicle that fits in our current garage or the garage at our last home either in the past ~5 years

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just went through the manual (EU?) and it seems that there isn’t a garage door opener???

I find that hard top believe. If you are going to have to use the Actual opener, You might as well leave your house key hanging outside. Maybe the openers are small enough to put on a key chain- but you have to use the actual key in the ignition- so more weight on the me mechanism.

Seriously, they have to have it? I would have thought that there would be a section on it to program it at least if it were there.

I know it sounds like a nit-pick, but if it doesn’t have a garage opener, I think I’m out. Just too much of a security risk for the area where I live. Granted, these will be very uncommon cars, but if theifs know that a parked car has an opener in it and can get into house. You’d have to make sure that your car is sterile with out any mention of your name or address. Not to mention reverse plate look ups in the US.

Seriously though. There has to be a garage door opener, Sir Whathisname has to have a gate that he has to open to his estate….

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
Yes but they have already cloned the key first to gain access to the car, do you have dumber thieves in your area??

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just went through the manual (EU?) and it seems that there isn’t a garage door opener???

I find that hard top believe. If you are going to have to use the Actual opener, You might as well leave your house key hanging outside. Maybe the openers are small enough to put on a key chain- but you have to use the actual key in the ignition- so more weight on the me mechanism.

Seriously, they have to have it? I would have thought that there would be a section on it to program it at least if it were there.

I know it sounds like a nit-pick, but if it doesn’t have a garage opener, I think I’m out. Just too much of a security risk for the area where I live. Granted, these will be very uncommon cars, but if theifs know that a parked car has an opener in it and can get into house. You’d have to make sure that your car is sterile with out any mention of your name or address. Not to mention reverse plate look ups in the US.

Seriously though. There has to be a garage door opener, Sir Whathisname has to have a gate that he has to open to his estate….
All this talk about garage door openers standard in cars. I’ve never heard of them. We must be a backward lot in Oz. (Or it could just be me) 😂😂

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is the remote for my garage door and yes it hangs on the keyring
Weighs about 30 grams. or 1 ounce.

View attachment 7819732
Yes Dave we’ve all seen these. 😂
I’ve never heard of being able to set your garage’s remote door to an internal system in the car that these guys are talking about though…..
Like I said, I might be slow.

https://www.homelink.com/

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I find that hard top believe. If you are going to have to use the Actual opener, You might as well leave your house key hanging outside.

I know it sounds like a nit-pick, but if it doesn’t have a garage opener, I think I’m out.
There has never been a mention of it having HomeLink or any other off-brand Garage Door opener built in, thus no reason to expect it.

I don't have data to back this up (I've been hunting but can't find actual numbers), but I would venture to say on the whole, most people in the US are still using the remote that came with their garage door instead of HomeLink; and based on various numbers I've found, the number of home burglaries that occur through opener theft (or access to the garage door opener in an unlocked vehicle) is miniscule compared to the number of burglaries that occur from forced entry into the garage (or access through another point of entry).

If it is a deal breaker, you could always follow @Krabby 's plan of adding the HomeLink rear mirror

Back
Top Bottom