The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Homelink / Garage door opener available ??

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
Yes but they have already cloned the key first to gain access to the car, do you have dumber thieves in your area??
No need to clone, they just use signal amplifiers to boost the key frequency, while it's in your house.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
No need to clone, they just use signal amplifiers to boost the key frequency, while it's in your house.
But the key only transmits when you press the button (for lock/unlock, I understand the immobilizer is always available to be read, but that signal is an extremely short distance)

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I use CarPlay/Siri to open my garage doors. There are some inexpensive add ons for older garage doors to make this work. I expect this is possible for android also. A door open button pops up on the CarPlay screen automatically when I get close to my house.

I might also use one of the ceiling switches and set it up to work with the opener.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But the key only transmits when you press the button (for lock/unlock, I understand the immobilizer is always available to be read, but that signal is an extremely short distance)
Say what? Most new cars have keyless entry and ignition. I thought that's what we're talking about.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
Say what? Most new cars have keyless entry and ignition. I thought that's what we're talking about.
That's what I was assuming. It's the grenadier that has gone back to key fob in hand. Slightly more secure I suppose than keyless.
Still don't know what's missing to prevent Cat 1 status - internal motion sensor?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I figured we were speaking about the Grenadier specifically

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I figured we were speaking about the Grenadier specifically
I was commenting on cloning. You can't clone a physical key like the Gren has, so I assumed we were talking about cars in general. Its actually a big problem here, so much so that amazon sells key cases that are RFID blockers, to keep your keys in at home.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was commenting on cloning. You can't clone a physical key like the Gren has, so I assumed we were talking about cars in general. Its actually a big problem here, so much so that amazon sells key cases that are RFID blockers, to keep your keys in at home.
You guys seem to have all the vehicle related issues... on the Tundra forums Houston is where all the cat theft posts predominantly started

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does the Gren key have a chip in it? If not, as long as you have a key blank, physical keys are easy to ‘clone’/copy. Done it hundreds of times..

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does the Gren key have a chip in it? If not, as long as you have a key blank, physical keys are easy to ‘clone’/copy. Done it hundreds of times..
It does have an immobilizer in it, yes

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
10:36 PM
Reaction score
Not without an original in hand which means physical theft vs. technological theft.

Gaining entry to a garage via a door remote should not allow access to the living space. The door between the two is always locked and deadbolted in all our homes and requires a physical key to gain entry.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
Not without an original in hand which means physical theft vs. technological theft.

Gaining entry to a garage via a door remote should not allow access to the living space. The door between the two is always locked and deadbolted in all our homes and requires a physical key to gain entry.
I would say almost nobody locks the door from the garage to the house in Australia.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yea apparently we must live in a substantially safer area or are our criminals haven't caught on; I don't know anyone that locks the door to their garage from the living space

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
Yea apparently we must live in a substantially safer area or are our criminals haven't caught on; I don't know anyone that locks the door to their garage from the living space
We go out for 1-2 hour walks and don't lock the house.
We did when we lived in the city and we do overnight
Don't have any deadlocks or security grills etc

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I will lock the door to the garage when I’m home at night. I’ve never heard of anyone locking the door when they leave the house. Not a horrible idea from a security standpoint, but to have to use a key for the door after opening the garage…

Thought a key pad lock might be interesting, so you don’t have to use a key.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
10:36 PM
Reaction score
but to have to use a key for the door after opening the garage…

Sorry, I fail to see that as a problem.

I was raised in a home where the doors were never locked in a neighborhood where no one locked their doors. That worked well for 30 years. Until it didn't. I don't tempt fate any longer.

Back
Top Bottom