The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Head/Taillight guards

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the head and tail light guards?

They were definitely a pointless accessory on the old LRs as the lenses were very cheap to replace.

Do you think they offer much protection or are just a cosmetic thing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517-100958.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517-100958.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20240517-101025.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517-101025.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 27

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
I don't like the fact that the rear lights are attached with adhesive tape. I like clean lights, and that makes them more difficult to clean. I'm not sure if they really offer much protection. But tbh, I've thought about installing these guards too. 😉

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the head and tail light guards?

They were definitely a pointless accessory on the old LRs as the lenses were very cheap to replace.

Do you think they offer much protection or are just a cosmetic thing?
I quite like the front ones and may give them a go. I realise they are 'no name' from Aliexpress and prob twice the cost they should be (£135) but there's a 20% discount on at the moment so will give them a whirl. Rear ones, not so keen.

Will give the Molle rear bootspace side ones a go as well I think. Will review price/fittings.

Reactions: IGL

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Actually scrub that, can't seem to get them shipped to the UK.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
OP: There was a thread about this previously and someone here did purchase the front and rear set IIRC. Hopefully they’ll pop in and give their thoughts. It’s been at least 6 months I reckon.

Personal opinion is that they’re aesthetic but that’s OK, they do look cool IMO. I’m with IGL on the double sided tape and cleaning issues.

What would make me try these, especially the rear set, would be if they made it in two parts. The first would be the base/ring that attaches to the truck. The second would be the wire guard itself that would attach by locking into the base with a twist. That way it’s easy to remove to clean, and also replace if the guard were to get damaged. 🤷🏻‍♂️

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
In general these guards are not legal in countries following the UN-ECE (Europe, Australia, Japan, about 56 countries all in all), except the light was homologated with these guards. The homologation of a light always ends at its glass and you're not allowed to put anything in front of it which may change its photometric proprties.

Second thing is, that this a headlight with a lens. Older headlights with a reflector fans out the rays over a larger surface (reflector) so that "only a few" rays are hold back by the guard and you see nearly no shadows on the road. A light with a lens sends out the rays very concentrated and they fan out over the distance from the lens. Thereby a small piece near and in front of the lens holds back many rays so you can get larger and visible shadows on the road.

As the front plastic of all headlights (and front lights) is always robust polycarbonate. I do not see the value of such a guard. The light is set back, so the glass is alreay protected by its position. The small metall bars infront of it, should protect from...what? Small stones? Wooden branches? They are so far apart, that I do not see any use in them.

Regarding the rear guards, if you hit something with the rear lights while driving back (how rarely this may apply? Maybe driving backwards offroad, or if you carrying goods while loading/unloading the car), you might break the glass of the rear light as they protude a little bit. But that's it. With a guard, depending on its strength you might also create damage to the body panels.

AWo

Last edited:

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In general these guards are not legal in countries following the UN-ECE (Europe, Australia, Japan, about 56 countries all in all), except the light was homologated with these guards. The homologation of a light always ends at its glass and you're not allowed to put anything in front of it which may change its photometric proprties.

Second thing is, that is a headlight with a lens. Older headlights with a reflector fans out the rays over a larger surface (reflector) so that "only a few" rays are hold back by the guard and you see nearly no shadows on the road. A light with a lens lens sends out the rays very concentrated and they fan out over the distance from the lens. Thereby a small piece near and infront of the lens holds back many rays so you can get larger and visible shadows on the road.

As the front plastic of all headlights (and front lights) is always robust polycarbonate. I do not see the value of such a guard. The light is set back, so the glass is alreay protected by its position. The small metall bars infront of it, should protect from...what? Small stones? Wooden branches? They are so far apart, that I do not see any use in them.

Regarding the rear guards, if you hit something with the rear lights while driving back (how rarely this may apply? Maybe driving backwards offroad, or if you carrying goods while loading/unloading the car), you might break the glass of the rear light as they protude a little bit. But that's it. With a guard, depending on its strength you might also create damage to the body panels.

AWo
Some good thinking!
On the legality side, I suppose the front guards would also affect pedestrian impact rules (in counties where they have them)

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Some good thinking!
On the legality side, I suppose the front guards would also affect pedestrian impact rules (in counties where they have them)
No. The headlight itself is not part of pedestrian impact rules. Part of it is the surrounding frame of the headlight and if the headlight stretches to the top of the fender (like the old Nissan Quashqai). Check UN-ECE R127, section 2.5 and appendix 5 which defines the single tests ( https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:42020X0638 ). You can find all tests which must be performed for pedestrian safety. Where no test exists there is also no reference. Without a reference you can not tell is it legal or not. That means: no test = no refrence = not part of the pedestrian impact rules.

However, such guards may break other rules, like the general requirement to prevent hazardous sharp edges, parts etc. You also have to retain a certain radius when things are bend (like the bars), it is not allowed to protude a certain length etc. etc. In additon material tests might be necessray, if parts splitter, how do they behave? To they become a threat, etc.

But in general the aftermarket has some more freedom than a car manufacturer has.

AWo

Last edited:

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No. The headlight itself is not part of pedestrian impact rules. Part of it is the surrounding frame of the headlight and if the headlight stretches to the top of the fender (like the old Nissan Quashqai). Check UN-ECE R127, section 2.5 and appendix 5 which defines the single tests ( https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:42020X0638 ). You can find all tests which must be performed for pedestrian safety. Where no test exists there is also no reference. Without a reference you can not tell is it legal or not. That means: no test = no refrence = not part of the pedestrian impact rules.

However, such guards may break other rules, like the general requirement to prevent hazardous sharp edges, parts etc. You also have to retain a certain radius when things are bend (like the bars), it is not allowed to protude a certain length etc. etc. In additon material tests might be necessray, if parts splitter, how do they behave? To they become a threat, etc.

But in general the aftermarket has some more freedom than a car manufacturer has.

AWo
I was thinking more of the sharp edges which as you suggest wouldn't allow OEM fitment.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking more of the sharp edges which as you suggest wouldn't allow OEM fitment.
As far as I can see these are round bars and the bends have a big radius. It must be at least 2.5 mm (UN ECE R26, section 5.5 and 6.2.1)

AWo

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
Actually scrub that, can't seem to get them shipped to the UK.

If you are desperate for these, you can get them from EBay buddy. It’s the Chinese company that are doing loads of stuff for the Grenny at over inflated prices. However I suspect you are not that bothered about them.

In addition has anyone seen the massive molle plates they do for all four side doors. Supposed to be for hanging stuff off but might be a slightly cheaper and removable protection system of that floats your boat.

Legality wise, I have no idea, but anything like this, I always think about the window and glass vans that drive round with a massive rack hanging off the side with a huge double glazed unit strapped to it.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At @IGL : not nice to make from me the "shame" of the forum 😡 ;);)
...and my wife said: IGL please, don't mention Jean's broken rear light (loosely based on Basil Fawlty)...;)

Please be brave - as you were when you paid the horrendous price for the new rear light.

Last edited:

Colorado

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
I was with another owner who had these and I looked them over pretty thoroughly. I would say they offer minimal to some actual protection but they do look awesome. So much so that I ordered some for myself.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Legality wise, I have no idea, but anything like this, I always think about the window and glass vans that drive round with a massive rack hanging off the side with a huge double glazed unit strapped to it.
These things are not in the front and therefore pedestrian impact rules do not apply. Pedestrian impact rules only exist for M1 and N1 cars. R26 does also not apply, as this is only for M1 cars. As there is no UN ECE regulation for that kind of installation, like glass transport racks, national rules apply. In Germany are no special rules, so the one general rule applies, that something like a transport rack should should minimize danger for all others. A manufacturer has to show that to official engineers who signs that off by checking if this rule was followed. How that is realized is up to the company building such transport systems.

In short words, rules that apply to a vehicle fron must not apply to other sides or parts of the vehicle. Also the rules regarding photometric properties of a light do not apply to a glass transport rack.

AWo

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
OP: There was a thread about this previously and someone here did purchase the front and rear set IIRC. Hopefully they’ll pop in and give their thoughts. It’s been at least 6 months I reckon.

Personal opinion is that they’re aesthetic but that’s OK, they do look cool IMO. I’m with IGL on the double sided tape and cleaning issues.

What would make me try these, especially the rear set, would be if they made it in two parts. The first would be the base/ring that attaches to the truck. The second would be the wire guard itself that would attach by locking into the base with a twist. That way it’s easy to remove to clean, and also replace if the guard were to get damaged. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I have the rear light protectors, I removed part of the adhesive tape and used Sikaflex 227. they have stayed put so far. Someone commented that they would damage the panel if impact happened, I said yes, but- that panel is plastic and easily removed. the light is $1k AU to replace (not sure about the panel) so IMO for lightish strikes they should be effective.
1716085920899.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
If you are desperate for these, you can get them from EBay buddy. It’s the Chinese company that are doing loads of stuff for the Grenny at over inflated prices. However I suspect you are not that bothered about them.

In addition has anyone seen the massive molle plates they do for all four side doors. Supposed to be for hanging stuff off but might be a slightly cheaper and removable protection system of that floats your boat.

The Molle panels are stuck on with rubber suckers :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom