The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3rd party Videos Harrys Garage

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
I remember many years ago, Clarkson was interviewed and asked about his ability to make or break a cars reputation. He denied this whilst providing an example of a car he hated in every respect. That car was the Toyota Corolla which despite his thoughts, continued to remain one of the highest selling cars in the UK.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
As long as he shoves 3 or 4 mangy sheep in the back and doesn't have a thrombo on Youtube, I won't mind what he says about it.
It would probably help though if Ineos provided a "Kaleb" in the passenger to seat to show him how things work.
Remember, he can't even drive a modern tractor...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If Clarkson has a Christmas tree lights come up on his dashboard then prepare for lift off.

He won’t tolerate Ineos sending him a vehicle that is riddled with faults like that and once he gets started he won’t stop.

I will be honest and say at that point IA will have to look inwards for the blame. Especially if they have offered him a vehicle and then give him one with a load of faults. It’s no good telling Clarkson “oh there’s an update soon”
I find it strange that someone from Ineos would give Harry a loan car for a week and not show him how to use it first.
The most basic point of having to be in low locked before you can engage the diff locks would have to be a mandatory explanation prior to handover.
I could see a dealer maybe making that mistake.

Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score
Harry's reviews really rather odd I think. As someone who's watched a fair bit of his stuff over the years

The Grenadier is absolutely not intending to be a "best overall fit for all sorts of things". It's intended to be very very good at something and as good as can be achieved at everything else. I picked up mine today and I think it is much better on the tarmac than I'd expected. Ride and handling are first class. Steering doesn't bother me in the slightest and nor does the footrest. Non issues for me. I've had no out of place bings or bongs either (yet) although I realise some have.

But the really odd thing about Harry's review was the split rear door bit. The idea of having a small door opening first was in case you were parked somewhere tight and wanted for instance to put shopping in. A reasonable idea I think. On mine it opens very easily and enjoyably - a small child on a step could do it without difficulty. But Harry said it was almost a big effort - a chore. Maybe his was defective. I have a 2008 G Wagon with a single rear door and that is quite an effort to swing open and to shut - especially on a slope - and you need space to do it.

Out of 1000 people who fully assess Defender 110 and Grenadier for the same cost we know that a majority would pick the Defender as a decent overall compromise. But those who choose the Grenadier be a fair number and they aren't all bonkers. Harry charging the Fieldmaster around the roads of Oxfordshire like a sports car was odd - the Grenadier just isn't that sort of vehicle. Just an odd pair of reviews.

Mike

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Harry's reviews really rather odd I think. As someone who's watched a fair bit of his stuff over the years

The Grenadier is absolutely not intending to be a "best overall fit for all sorts of things". It's intended to be very very good at something and as good as can be achieved at everything else. I picked up mine today and I think it is much better on the tarmac than I'd expected. Ride and handling are first class. Steering doesn't bother me in the slightest and nor does the footrest. Non issues for me. I've had no out of place bings or bongs either (yet) although I realise some have.

But the really odd thing about Harry's review was the split rear door bit. The idea of having a small door opening first was in case you were parked somewhere tight and wanted for instance to put shopping in. A reasonable idea I think. On mine it opens very easily and enjoyably - a small child on a step could do it without difficulty. But Harry said it was almost a big effort - a chore. Maybe his was defective. I have a 2008 G Wagon with a single rear door and that is quite an effort to swing open and to shut - especially on a slope - and you need space to do it.

Out of 1000 people who fully assess Defender 110 and Grenadier for the same cost we know that a majority would pick the Defender as a decent overall compromise. But those who choose the Grenadier be a fair number and they aren't all bonkers. Harry charging the Fieldmaster around the roads of Oxfordshire like a sports car was odd - the Grenadier just isn't that sort of vehicle. Just an odd pair of reviews.

Mike
the heavy small door looked very theatrical to me .

Coming from a Nissan Patrol i absoloutely love the small door ! very practical .

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have to admit I was surprised by Harry's farm review, particularly the bit when he took it up the hill, that just didn't ring true. Yes, it's clear he really has a downer on the car and, while I agree with some of his points, I think that review taken as a whole was unduly harsh. I do get his underlying argument asking why anyone would build a car so basic when technologies and designs have moved on. I guess you could say the same of Morgan cars. The answer is that some people put a premium on utility, practicality, and traditional looks. If the Grenadier was a tank I'd liken it to the Russian T34, a reliable and unstoppable piece of kit. Why didn't Harry drive through mud and water? Wafting through all that long grass, it looked like a Cadbury's flake advert. I respect his views but, like most posters here, I'll make my own mind up thankyou.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect that the hill that he drove up is the only remotely challenging obstacle on his farm so he probably doesnt have much choice where he goes. He mentioned that many vehicles can’t make it to the top, and it would appear that the grenadier did it in high range with all diffs open. Not a bad result really.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have noted the venom with which some comments are posted on both FB and YouTube. Why the need to hate this vehicle so much? I can appreciate someone’s take on a product but I don’t need the bile. The beauty of this forum is constructive criticism is the order of the day along with some humour at times. Sadly, a lot of dicks on both YouTube and FB.
I wonder what would happen if those dicks jump on board this forum...A new thread possibly called, Having a field day!

This is the first para of a Forum Poem I am putting together and the last line here is where my brain was going for dicks.

The Ineos Grenadier Forum

enthusiasts on a common thread

tales pictures with little decorum

where some would fear to tread

Last edited:
Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
If larger tires were fit along w/ a matching spare, would it impede opening the smaller door?

Reactions: PBD

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
He is actually a consultant to Land Rover? Did he disclose this in his reviews?
I think Harry does not Grok the Grenadier or for reasons stated in the Forum, cannot Grok it.
First time I have watched a Harry Youtube Review. Must say he was totally unprepared,
which is very unprofessional. 95% of the other reviewers knew the specs and were able
to provide a very knowledgeable review. DaBull

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If larger tires were fit along w/ a matching spare, would it impede opening the smaller door?
Hi @longwhiteline98 It is going to depend on the size of the tire - there’s a bit of room but not too much. An aftermarket company is already creating relocater.

If you use the search function you’ll be able to find some more information on the subject.

Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
he changed his LinkedIn page last night to say he finished with JLR in May 2023
Surely just a coincidence??
To be fair, I think this is simply the case of an old man who doesn’t know how to use LinkedIn. It is fairly well known he hasn’t worked with them in years, and has even been critical of recent products.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To be fair, I think this is simply the case of an old man who doesn’t know how to use LinkedIn. It is fairly well known he hasn’t worked with them in years, and has even been critical of recent products.
Hey!!
Go easy with the old man bit.
He is 64, I am 60
He could have input any date and obviously just picked one.
Using LinkedIn is not very difficult

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I find it strange that someone from Ineos would give Harry a loan car for a week and not show him how to use it first.
The most basic point of having to be in low locked before you can engage the diff locks would have to be a mandatory explanation prior to handover.
I could see a dealer maybe making that mistake.
I think the real mistake is Ineos's methodology/logic for engaging the axle diff locks and then doubling down on that mistake by having it software defined.

I find it almost incomprehensible in terms of the Projekt Grenadier philosophy.

Axle diff locks should be available in high and low range, the front and rear should operate independently of each other, and I might even say that they should be available even if the centre diff is open.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
+1 for independent systems

bit like HAL 9000 telling me my door is open when it isn't and refusing to engage drive or reverse.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the real mistake is Ineos's methodology/logic for engaging the axle diff locks and then doubling down on that mistake by having it software defined.

I find it almost incomprehensible in terms of the Projekt Grenadier philosophy.

Axle diff locks should be available in high and low range, the front and rear should operate independently of each other, and I might even say that they should be available even if the centre diff is open.
I agree with your first two points completely
On the third line I agree with the middle of the sentence, disagree with the last one and would like to get more info as to the first one's application.
I would be a bit worried of having either, but particularly the front diff, locked at 160kmh

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is fairly well known he hasn’t worked with them in years, and has even been critical of recent products.
Odd if he hasn't worked for them for years that he would declare May 2023 as the end date?

Also look at his access to JLR products, a new Defender for what, a six month test; then there's his access to purchase project cars from Jaguar and he got a old Defender Spectre through the same route.

Back
Top Bottom