The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3rd party Videos Harrys Garage

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
I've never used Waze ~ is it worth downloading & giving it a go?
I use Waze daily on my commute to work, not because I don't know how to get to work, but it routes automatically for traffic and it also reports if there is a police trap. For longer trips, I use Apple Maps as I think it routes are smarter than Waze. So I do recommend downloading Waze.
My sons have used Waze exclusively for years, but just this weekend said it’s not nearly as reliable due to speed trap spoofs. So 10 speed traps show up, but maybe 1 is real.

I switched to Apple Maps when I need to map a route, even over my Garmin-based Honda nav-system.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
I've never used Waze ~ is it worth downloading & giving it a go?
I use Waze only for "ordinary moves": work, family, short unusual movements.
It is fed by users: problems of any kind can be fed into the system by the users. Works very well, not perfect but really excellent.
I almost never take a longer safety margin than 10 minutes when I have an appointment.
Because I know Waze will reroute me if necessary.

I seldom use Waze when I am travelling for leisure, unless I am reaching my destination (hotel, camping, ...)
Because Waze sends you through the most efficient road. And I don't want that, I want (when travelling) the nice roads.
When travelling I don't mind: I use paper maps, compass, other navigation systems (less reliable) like "Here We Go", etc.

But, again: Waze is excellent!

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
I also drive a LR as my daily driver and absolutely love it. I would never drive the current offer RR, as they are too "nice" inside and I don't want to drive a car fixated on such features. I drive like Mr. McGoo! To replace my aging LR, I was looking at ND and test drove it. Wow - it's fantastic to drive and unexpectedly easy for the size it is. The inside is perfect - all you need without luxury trims. I saw Grenadier and wondered? ... Are you keeping the ND? I think a ND keeps every passenger happy, and I fear the Grenadier is great for the driver, but maybe a bit uncomfortable for everyone else? That's my major concern. The no on-board navigation was also a weird place to try and save money. GPS NAV on my LR has continued to work when my iPhone didn't suggesting there's a difference. My LR has a chip in there to store music and GPS locations, and if Grenadier doesn't have a chip for storage of locations and NAV, I don't know how long they can do that in the US market. Charge me extra $ like LR did, but offer an on-board fully functioning console. I think they will have to offer on-board NAV, blind-spot indicators, and heated steering wheels and seats eventually... Did you test drive the Grenadier? How did it drive vs. your ND?
Perfectly valid to prefer the new defender. It’s going to sell more, it’s less of a niche car.
In many ways, the grenadier is for people who wanted to like the new defender, but for whom land rover messed it up by putting features and road manners higher up the design brief than durability, capability* and simplicity. Many US comments seem to really stick on the idea that your market will demand certain things to ’compete’; maybe that’s correct, but it feels to me that what Ineos is doing is less about competing with current vehicle expectations, and more about differentiating from current vehicle expectations.
having said that, some of what you think they will have to offer - blind spots, or even autonomous braking, they will have to add, but for legislative compliance rather than customer expectation.
I’d suggest trying to hold your thoughts until youve had a good drive. It is impressive. And you may still prefer the new defender.

* yes, the new defender can be seen as capable, but to many of ‘us’ the way it does it is inelegant, complicated, and prone to failure. At the end of the day, it is the best Discovery they have ever built.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
👍 for all the Waze feedback.

As I'm all in with a new Android phone, new 50Gb data package, an AA Wireless android dongle and best friends with my local Amazon delivery driver with case protectors, screen protectors, fast data charging cables, USB A to C converter cables, female to female adaptors, I'll give this a go too!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
👍 for all the Waze feedback.

As I'm all in with a new Android phone, new 50Gb data package, an AA Wireless android dongle and best friends with my local Amazon delivery driver with case protectors, screen protectors, fast data charging cables, USB A to C converter cables, female to female adaptors, I'll give this a go too!
Also you can download Google maps for offline use. Finally onxoffroad can be run off your car screen in AA

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree mate, silly position and the angle of the plugs takes up lots of room in the box and stuff in there knocks the connections loose. Gave up on mine and use the ones behind the box now.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree mate, silly position and the angle of the plugs takes up lots of room in the box and stuff in there knocks the connections loose. Gave up on mine and use the ones behind the box now.
That makes sense if you're using a dongle.
Although just one question, if it connects by Bluetooth does it have the speed to run Google or Waze maps.

Last edited:

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Although just one question, if it connects by Bluetooth does it have the speed to run Google or Waze maps.
I don’t know mate. I normally connect my phone with a cable to keep it charged up as it is an old iPhone 10. The maps work well either connected or bluetooth but I don’t have Waze.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I also bought one, and installed it last week, works as a charm. Pity that I can't place it neatly somewhere hidden, instead of in this stupid USB-C location in the central cubby box!
Yes, will be rerouting the cuppy box usbs for reasons stated here, maybe using something like below but there are optional connectors on the back of these fittings available (depending on the rear connector of the cubby box usbs). Has anyone seen the rear connection of the 'cubby box' usbs by chance?

1687603581278.png

Local time
Reaction score
The trouble with an onboard nav system is that someone has to keep it updated.
Mercedes changed to a new system so there hasn't been an update for the maps in my car for 5 years.
This makes it useless
I use my phone on a magnetic holder with Google Maps or Waze.
I totally get the update issue. For me, LR has offered "updates" - I think for about $100. This would have updated my NAV mapping routes. Although I think that pricing is fair, I still haven't done it as most of the "new" roads are small and I don't think I need it.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:31 PM
Reaction score
Apple Carplay uses wifi, so I assume Android does as well.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I totally get the update issue. For me, LR has offered "updates" - I think for about $100. This would have updated my NAV mapping routes. Although I think that pricing is fair, I still haven't done it as most of the "new" roads are small and I don't think I need it.
My car is a 2014 model and we currently have 330 major road/rail projects taking place in my state.
All main highways have construction, bypasses and entirely new roads and sections underway.
Using my inbuilt map I am constantly driving where there are no roads, making it useless.
I live in the Wide Bay region and there are new roads and projects everywhere.
In car maps are out of date from day one and continuously

1687802416627.png1687803043734.png

Local time
Reaction score
Hi Curb-Optional, Your right about how seamless the infotainment and software systems are in the New Defender. I am going to miss that when I take delivery of My New Grenadier in 6 months or so. Your also right about the on-road manners of the New Defender. The way I see it, I will be giving up some things and gaining some things.
The things I will miss the most from my ND are;
The incredible performance of 0-60 in just 5.8 seconds, love that!
Next is the on-road comfort ride, which is incredible.
Next is the seamless infotainment / software as mentioned above.
Next is the interior, which has both more storage areas up front and the better quality and textures of the dash and other rubbers/plastics then the Grenadier.

In regards to the New Grenadier, here is what I am gaining;
First is the retro cool look, (I was inspired to buy my ND because of the heritage of the old Defender).
Next are the Safari windows.
Next is the Airplane cockpit, (reminds me of my very first vehicle, a 1957 VW Van).
I do like the Recaro Sports seats with contrast stitching and mine will be heated like my ND.
I have driven the Grenadier off-road on a test drive and was incredibly impressed in it's capability and ride too.
From all the on-road reviews, it appears that the New Grenadier has very good on-road manners, which will allow it to be a daily driver and good for long trips too.
Although I don't use Apple Car Play yet, I am hopeful that once I do I will love the experience.
Overall I love the instant retro vintage look and feel of the new Grenadier and will need to adjust the speed racer in me to a more relaxed and laid back driver, which my wife will appreciate and passengers too.
I love the adventure vibe of the new Grenadier and am hopeful that the few compromises I am giving up are outweighed by everything else I am gaining.
Only time will tell.
All in all, I believe you can't go wrong with either vehicle.
They are both incredible! DaBull
sounds all good! do post pics when you get it delivered! I am betwix and between as they say. Massachusetts will eventually get a dealership, so I will test a Grenadier out when they arrive. I don't blame Grenadier in the least for skipping MA on their roadshow, as admittedly we're not a first or even second market for them; many purchases will be more "lifestyle" than actual off-road living. The number of Jeep Wrangler Rubicons by a beach - any and all of our beaches - is crazy, and yet what exactly are they doing? Other than parking by the beach, of course. The biggest obstacle around us is likely snow, and folks in ME will surely buy some of these. Same for VT ski folks - why take a risk of getting stuck in the snow when you can drive a Grenadier!? I agree the exterior styling of Grenadier is fantastic. Over at ND, it turns out that the "glass pane" exterior has to do with future electrification goals. Making a ND appear like a RR silhouette didn't seem attractive to me, but then I read how wavy panels with bulges and protruding sections creates "drag," and maybe that's why JLR styled the exterior of ND as they did. I love the interior of ND, but the outside is not attractive, and this is why I found the exterior Grenadier looks so awesome. If I do go for a Grenadier, I'll keep my small LR for a back up, just in case.

Local time
Reaction score
Perfectly valid to prefer the new defender. It’s going to sell more, it’s less of a niche car.
In many ways, the grenadier is for people who wanted to like the new defender, but for whom land rover messed it up by putting features and road manners higher up the design brief than durability, capability* and simplicity. Many US comments seem to really stick on the idea that your market will demand certain things to ’compete’; maybe that’s correct, but it feels to me that what Ineos is doing is less about competing with current vehicle expectations, and more about differentiating from current vehicle expectations.
having said that, some of what you think they will have to offer - blind spots, or even autonomous braking, they will have to add, but for legislative compliance rather than customer expectation.
I’d suggest trying to hold your thoughts until youve had a good drive. It is impressive. And you may still prefer the new defender.

* yes, the new defender can be seen as capable, but to many of ‘us’ the way it does it is inelegant, complicated, and prone to failure. At the end of the day, it is the best Discovery they have ever built.
well said, and can't wait to test one. MA is not high on Grenadier list, as we're mostly "lifestyle" buyers. We should have a dealership by September and then I can try one out. I agree that Ineos is about differentiating. I also agree with the basic need for durability, which Ineos hit out of the park. Many SUVs probably roll off the assembly with smaller, lighter parts, saving weight and improving gas MPG. Grenadier went opposite, strengthening the parts and adding reinforcements, and thus adding weight and lowering MPG. I love that about Grenadier. Although US is likely to be a small part of Ineos, I think Ineos gave many global markets an awesome choice. If I were to bet, I'd bet the pickup will do better than the SUV here, as the US loves pickups.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Apple Carplay uses wifi, so I assume Android does as well.
Yes android does as well, that was my point if the dongle is communicating via Bluetooth then that is a much slower speed than wifi. Hence I'm not so sure some apps may struggle at the slower speeds

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
Harry's videos were great - They eased the sting for those of us who want a Gren but can't afford it right now, and his critical tone made us feel like we're not missing out as much. It's a public service, really, for the community. :D

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also bought one, and installed it last week, works as a charm. Pity that I can't place it neatly somewhere hidden, instead of in this stupid USB-C location in the central cubby box!
Hicarus and I have just wasted two hours each of our lives trying to get this to work on a Galaxy A12 and his Grenadier. No usable instructions or explanations exist and the process of connecting is fraught with blind alleys and non-existent parameters that we are advised to change/confirm. Total jungle of obfuscation; sadly the device is going back…

CBN

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hicarus and I have just wasted two hours each of our lives trying to get this to work on a Galaxy A12 and his Grenadier. No usable instructions or explanations exist and the process of connecting is fraught with blind alleys and non-existent parameters that we are advised to change/confirm. Total jungle of obfuscation; sadly the device is going back…
I get a lot of hire cars for work. I have the latest Google pixel phone and it fails to work properly in about 25% of vehicles. Usually Toyota's are the worst culprits! And you would think a Pixel would be the one phone that should work everywhere

Back
Top Bottom