The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3rd party Videos Harrys Garage

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
The Ineos Grenadier Forum

enthusiasts on a common thread

tales pictures with little decorum

where some would fear to tread
ChatGPT?

Reactions: Max

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
I just watched the TFL video and he said that 35s aren't really an option. The photos that I've seen of 33s look great and seem to have no issues.
Watched it and what's funny is Andre also release a video today for his new Chevy Colorado and the issue with the dash display. The dash display is black, no information is provided. His center display works but he gets no info when it comes to driving the car. You couldn't ask for better timing.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A split rear door is not the only solution to the problem of too much weight on a single rear door.

A better solution is to have the spare tire on a swing-out arm that is connected to the rear bumper. This is better because it can safely carry huge amounts of weight, and none of it is on the door - whether you have a single rear door, double doors, or a split set-up like on a Jeep.

A couple of companies have developed tire-carriers that are integrated with the rear door, so that you can open both the rear door and the swing-out tire carrier with a single handle, and with a single action. You can carry a spare all the way up to a 40-inch tire on these set-ups (not that I'm suggesting 40s for the Grenadier). In addition to carrying a spare, you can carry water and/or fuel. Of course, a 37 or 40 inch tire doesn't leave a whole lot of room, but lots of people carry four 5-gallon (20 liter) Jerry cans on these set-ups while carrying a 35-inch spare tire. I had this set-up on my Jeep JKU, and it worked great.

Here is an example from American Expedition Vehicles (AEV). The tire carrier mounts to the steel bumper, and is super-strong. The tire carrier is also connected to the swing-out door, and both open with a single handle.

People who really want to run 35s on the Grenadier will have to carry a spare on a swing-out tire carrier mounted to the bumper. This will be inconvenient though - because you cannot integrate the tire carrier with the doors (as shown above) because of how the small door opens before the big door. So... to access the back you will have to (1) open the tire carrier, then (2) open the small door, then (3) open the big door. That's going to be a hassle. But I would definitely not want a 35-inch tire on my roof.
This is exactly what I was talking about in my post. What I called 'gate' (translation of the Italian 'cancello') is the swing arm you are talking about. In the Defender I had a very nice version of the Nakatanenga. But I find the double door solution much more elegant...LR Defender MY2007_2022_-23-003.jpg

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
Got John Betjemen all over it. :) Come Friendly bombs and fall on Slough.
Thank you for the alignment...his piece on Slough is brilliant, harsh and it is said...Betjeman was struck by the “menace of things to come” but later regretted the poem’s harshness.
He was youngish when he wrote it and I would say a little bitter.

So I think it can hang in Harry's hut.

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Harry did not even know how to lock the rear and front diff. That alone indicates he didn’t even do any off road testing with it. The majority of the design and budget was put into the bones of the vehicle to make it durable and to excel in the off road environment. To review a vehicle like this and not take it off road is like reviewing a porsche gt3 with out every taking it to a race track or a twisty back road and then only drive it to the grocery store and complain about the trunk space. Harry totally missed the point of the Grenadier. But he is right for him the Land rover is better for his use case, where you never or rarely go off road.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DCPU

Do we know where the Scottish Journos cars have ended up...are they now demos for the dealers?

That would make sense that Harry has had one from them without instructions due to his lack of knowledge and also I can't imagine Ineos giving him a car without proper instructions...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score

DCPU

Do we know where the Scottish Journos cars have ended up...are they now demos for the dealers?
I don't, it's just a question of noticing them when they pop up in social media.

Clarkson has another "Scottish" car. Again, it's a Belstaff edition, so wonder if he will make the same comment about really wanting the basic farmer spec but Ineos sent the wrong one.

Reactions: Max

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
I don't, it's just a question of noticing them when they pop up in social media.

Clarkson has another "Scottish" car. Again, it's a Belstaff edition, so wonder if he will make the same comment about really wanting the basic farmer spec but Ineos sent the wrong one.
Both Harry Metcalfe and Jeremy Clarkson, use a previous generation (circa 2005 for JC) of Range Rover on the farm, so a Belstaff edition could be appropriate.

Did you see the way Metcalfe drove the IG on the road to Charlbury, no one in their right mind would try to hustle it down the road like he did?

Local time
Reaction score
I thought Harry's review was thought provoking. On one hand I get what he is saying about the new Defender, as owning one it is an incredible vehicle in everyway. After owning 3 Jeep Grand Cherokee's, I then owned a 2007 & 2011 Land Rover Sport and loved the boxy look. I then purchased a 2019 Range Rover Sport and missed the boxy look of the prior ones and just felt it was too over the top lux for me. Although I enjoyed it, I just did not feel like it fit my idea of a Land Rover, (yes I know they were Range Rovers). I toyed with buying an old Defender and getting it road worthy, however that was going to take too much time and money. Since Land Rover quit making the old Defender, who's DNA I aspired too, I purchased the new Defender only to find out about the new Grenadier being birthed by Sir Jim Ratcliffe 2 months after purchasing my new Defender. It was immediately obvious to me that this was the track that Land Rover should have went down with their new Defender as it carries forward the original DNA of the old Defender. Started following the Grenadier, this incredible forum and took a test drive. Incredibly impressed and looking forward to placing my order on May 31, 2023. I feel like my long journey in owning 3 Range Rovers and the New Defender has all been meant to be, and that is to be in the New Grenadier. DaBull
I also drive a LR as my daily driver and absolutely love it. I would never drive the current offer RR, as they are too "nice" inside and I don't want to drive a car fixated on such features. I drive like Mr. McGoo! To replace my aging LR, I was looking at ND and test drove it. Wow - it's fantastic to drive and unexpectedly easy for the size it is. The inside is perfect - all you need without luxury trims. I saw Grenadier and wondered? ... Are you keeping the ND? I think a ND keeps every passenger happy, and I fear the Grenadier is great for the driver, but maybe a bit uncomfortable for everyone else? That's my major concern. The no on-board navigation was also a weird place to try and save money. GPS NAV on my LR has continued to work when my iPhone didn't suggesting there's a difference. My LR has a chip in there to store music and GPS locations, and if Grenadier doesn't have a chip for storage of locations and NAV, I don't know how long they can do that in the US market. Charge me extra $ like LR did, but offer an on-board fully functioning console. I think they will have to offer on-board NAV, blind-spot indicators, and heated steering wheels and seats eventually... Did you test drive the Grenadier? How did it drive vs. your ND?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
I also drive a LR as my daily driver and absolutely love it. I would never drive the current offer RR, as they are too "nice" inside and I don't want to drive a car fixated on such features. I drive like Mr. McGoo! To replace my aging LR, I was looking at ND and test drove it. Wow - it's fantastic to drive and unexpectedly easy for the size it is. The inside is perfect - all you need without luxury trims. I saw Grenadier and wondered? ... Are you keeping the ND? I think a ND keeps every passenger happy, and I fear the Grenadier is great for the driver, but maybe a bit uncomfortable for everyone else? That's my major concern. The no on-board navigation was also a weird place to try and save money. GPS NAV on my LR has continued to work when my iPhone didn't suggesting there's a difference. My LR has a chip in there to store music and GPS locations, and if Grenadier doesn't have a chip for storage of locations and NAV, I don't know how long they can do that in the US market. Charge me extra $ like LR did, but offer an on-board fully functioning console. I think they will have to offer on-board NAV, blind-spot indicators, and heated steering wheels and seats eventually... Did you test drive the Grenadier? How did it drive vs. your ND?
The trouble with an onboard nav system is that someone has to keep it updated.
Mercedes changed to a new system so there hasn't been an update for the maps in my car for 5 years.
This makes it useless
I use my phone on a magnetic holder with Google Maps or Waze.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Curb-Optional, Your right about how seamless the infotainment and software systems are in the New Defender. I am going to miss that when I take delivery of My New Grenadier in 6 months or so. Your also right about the on-road manners of the New Defender. The way I see it, I will be giving up some things and gaining some things.
The things I will miss the most from my ND are;
The incredible performance of 0-60 in just 5.8 seconds, love that!
Next is the on-road comfort ride, which is incredible.
Next is the seamless infotainment / software as mentioned above.
Next is the interior, which has both more storage areas up front and the better quality and textures of the dash and other rubbers/plastics then the Grenadier.

In regards to the New Grenadier, here is what I am gaining;
First is the retro cool look, (I was inspired to buy my ND because of the heritage of the old Defender).
Next are the Safari windows.
Next is the Airplane cockpit, (reminds me of my very first vehicle, a 1957 VW Van).
I do like the Recaro Sports seats with contrast stitching and mine will be heated like my ND.
I have driven the Grenadier off-road on a test drive and was incredibly impressed in it's capability and ride too.
From all the on-road reviews, it appears that the New Grenadier has very good on-road manners, which will allow it to be a daily driver and good for long trips too.
Although I don't use Apple Car Play yet, I am hopeful that once I do I will love the experience.
Overall I love the instant retro vintage look and feel of the new Grenadier and will need to adjust the speed racer in me to a more relaxed and laid back driver, which my wife will appreciate and passengers too.
I love the adventure vibe of the new Grenadier and am hopeful that the few compromises I am giving up are outweighed by everything else I am gaining.
Only time will tell.
All in all, I believe you can't go wrong with either vehicle.
They are both incredible! DaBull

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My wife has a navigation system in her Nissan Micra, never got updated. I had NO navigation system in my previous car (Suzuki Grand Vitara, 10 years old), therefore never could be updated, but Waze and other navigation systems are always up to date. That's what I use.

Therefore I loved the idea of Ineos NOT to offer a navigation system 😀 : no updates needed

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
I've never used Waze ~ is it worth downloading & giving it a go?
I use Waze daily on my commute to work, not because I don't know how to get to work, but it routes automatically for traffic and it also reports if there is a police trap. For longer trips, I use Apple Maps as I think it routes are smarter than Waze. So I do recommend downloading Waze.

Back
Top Bottom