The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hard shell rooftop tent

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
Use only self-locking nuts and don't re-use them once taken off.
The information you shared is valuable, thank you. I wouldn’t have thought of the material of the tent types should you have not mentioned it, or even sand getting stuck which would be in abundance where I live.

jeremy_matrix

Reservation Holder
Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
Another plug for the Italian Autohome(an original innovator). I loved my Autohome Columbus Variant (fiberglass, vs Carbon model which was carbon fiber). SUPER easy to deploy (pop the latch on rear, push up and 2 gas struts take it from there). I was literally in bed in under 2min by the time I shut off my G-Wagen. To collapse the RTT, pull down on the included rear "yellow rope" handle, collapsing the gas struts, quickly tuck in material on the 3 sides and latch and off you go. SO simple, which equated to using it all the dang time. Has 3 entry points which also double as windows/bug screens. I entered thru the rear of the RTT by climbing up my rear ladder, foot onto spare tire, and up into the RTT. Happy camper!

Here's the view from left front;
DSCN0952-480x640.jpg

More pics here; https://expeditionportal.com/featured-vehicle-jeremy-williams-g500/
Note that mine came white, but I had it professionally painted to color match to my G, then had a graphics shop apply 3M paint protection film to it. Hit plenty of tree branches and only succumbed to scrapes. Downside to gunmetal paint is that in bright sun, the interior would get hot pretty quickly (no sleeping in!) vs a white color which might have allowed for slightly cooler temps inside the RTT.

Autohome makes the Maggiolina and AirTop which are a levitating top (vs wedge style like mine); better for more than 2 people under 6', ie families.

The key to keeping mold/mildew out of any RTT is to let it breathe if the sides/interior get wet. So if my trip is in the rain, once I get home and it's dry outside, I would pop the RTT, wipe down inside and inside/outside of fabric and let it dry. Of course if you have space inside a big shop to open it up when you get home regardless of the weather outside, that would be even better.

Last edited:

CryHavoc

Reservation Holder
Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
@Pfk We have a clamshell iKamper copy (from a company now out of business) and it's cavernous. We love the room it provides for both of us and our two 60-70 pound dogs. With that said, iKamper 100%. Don't even consider a RoofNest if the iKamper fits the budget. The outward appearances may be very similar, but the attention to detail and quality differences are readily apparent. This is only compounded by everyone else still charging iKamper-like prices.

When it's time to replace ours (unfortunately probably sooner than later), the only thing that may keep us from buying iKamper is that they don't offer an aluminum shell like a couple others. That's a very attractive option here where there are many low-hanging branches that can do a number on an ABS or polycarbonate shell.

Reactions: Pfk

jeremy_matrix

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
@Pfk We have a clamshell iKamper copy (from a company now out of business) and it's cavernous. We love the room it provides for both of us and our two 60-70 pound dogs. With that said, iKamper 100%. Don't even consider a RoofNest if the iKamper fits the budget. The outward appearances may be very similar, but the attention to detail and quality differences are readily apparent. This is only compounded by everyone else still charging iKamper-like prices.

When it's time to replace ours (unfortunately probably sooner than later), the only thing that may keep us from buying iKamper is that they don't offer an aluminum shell like a couple others. That's a very attractive option here where there are many low-hanging branches that can do a number on an ABS or polycarbonate shell.

Aluminum(aluminium) shells have become much more popular, however I'd think that could create more condensation due to thermal bridging. Plus, have to keep an eye on the weight of the RTT with aluminum shell vs fiberglass or carbon fiber. Lots of research to be done with SO many RTT options out there now vs even 10yrs ago.

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
With that said, iKamper 100%
Thank you, Appreciate you sharing your feedback! The ikamper does seem to be the right choice for a family Rtt

CryHavoc

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Aluminum(aluminium) shells have become much more popular, however I'd think that could create more condensation due to thermal bridging. Plus, have to keep an eye on the weight of the RTT with aluminum shell vs fiberglass or carbon fiber. Lots of research to be done with SO many RTT options out there now vs even 10yrs ago.
All valid concerns. I don't know anything about the construction with the alu lids and would have to research that re: bridging. After insulating the living crap out of my aluminum pop-up shell on my RAM, it's something I'm sensitive to. And they're, easily, about 20-30 pounds heavier than an equivalent ABS-shelled tent. There's always the option of Raptor/Rhino/etc. Lining the lid for protection as well.

jeremy_matrix

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
All valid concerns. I don't know anything about the construction with the alu lids and would have to research that re: bridging. After insulating the living crap out of my aluminum pop-up shell on my RAM, it's something I'm sensitive to. And they're, easily, about 20-30 pounds heavier than an equivalent ABS-shelled tent. There's always the option of Raptor/Rhino/etc. Lining the lid for protection as well.

Yep, you know the drill from your OVRLND camper. Just like a FWC camper, aluminum construction will make the interior sweat like a wet sauna when you get people/dogs in there, especially with propane heat.

Some LizardSkin coating on the exterior(interior not possible for most RTT's as it's finished off/upholstered) of an alum RTT would be an interesting test; that's supposed to reduce thermal transfer. Many of the camper van guys use it.

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
We have had good experiences with the James Baroud grand rail XL. We had it for more than ten years and it is still in use (unfortunately we sold the bus and tent to a relative before a longer stay abroad). The tent has 2.25m*1.60m inside. In the beginning, four of us (parents and the two younger children) slept in it and the two older children slept inside in the bus.

I bought it again four month ago to bridge the time until the roof conversion... It would be nice if I could finally put it on my Ineos.

Attachments

• DSC_0883.JPG
    DSC_0883.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 34

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I were you I would also consider where you plan to camp. Some types seem more vulnerable to winds, others might project you better from the heat, …. We had the top of our iKamper faced to incoming storms on the Scottish coast and whilst I did not sleep for a min those nights, the tent took no harm. Travelling the sunny parts of planet earth probably benefit from other designs.

jeremy_matrix

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Their website is well done, their tents look quality, are light and sizes from small to xl, definitely one to consider. Columbus category seems best fit for weight a savings and internal space.

Hats off to your G wagon build Sir.
I enjoyed the read very much.
Thanks

They're very excellent quality indeed. Lots of low quality junk out there especially in the RTT market. I'd put an Autohome Columbus on my Grenadier; difficulty will be deciding if there's any reason to spend more $ and go Carbon vs Variant.

Thx kindly! Hopefully it'll spur some possible ideas for your Grenadier.

If I were you I would also consider where you plan to camp. Some types seem more vulnerable to winds, others might project you better from the heat, …. We had the top of our iKamper faced to incoming storms on the Scottish coast and whilst I did not sleep for a min those nights, the tent took no harm. Travelling the sunny parts of planet earth probably benefit from other designs.

Excellent point. This is where I found a wedge style to be superior to levitating style; we could point the nose of our G into the wind (as long as the wind didn't change direction) and not have tent sides flapping as much.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They're very excellent quality indeed. Lots of low quality junk out there especially in the RTT market. I'd put an Autohome Columbus on my Grenadier; difficulty will be deciding if there's any reason to spend more $ and go Carbon vs Variant.

Thx kindly! Hopefully it'll spur some possible ideas for your Grenadier.

Excellent point. This is where I found a wedge style to be superior to levitating style; we could point the nose of our G into the wind (as long as the wind didn't change direction) and not have tent sides flapping as much.
Yes. Worst case you can move the car a bit, but so far storms kept hitting us from one direction all night all the time.

CryHavoc

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, you know the drill from your OVRLND camper. Just like a FWC camper, aluminum construction will make the interior sweat like a wet sauna when you get people/dogs in there, especially with propane heat.

Some LizardSkin coating on the exterior(interior not possible for most RTT's as it's finished off/upholstered) of an alum RTT would be an interesting test; that's supposed to reduce thermal transfer. Many of the camper van guys use it.
Insulated ours with isopro panels and ducting insulation wrap to act as a thermal break over the studs. Plywood walls on top of all that. We have a Webasto Air Top petrol burning heater in there tapped to the fuel tank. Our second night in it saw 13 degrees with wind chill and I didn’t even have the thermal pack on the vinyl. Not an ounce of condensation with the roof fan on exhaust at just 10% speed (mainly to help move the heat around).

I still love the RTT, but there’s just something about having a small apartment to escape to 🤣

vandrarhenrik

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi. Can an Alucab rtt gen 3r be mounted directly on to the Rhino rack when it comes with 270 awning? The rack, that is. Or is it better with crossbars and mount the gen 3r to them along with the Alucab 270 awning?

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why would you carry a full rack under a RTT and awning? It all can be done, but the setup seems much lighter with 2-3 crossbars, no?

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
Hi. Can an Alucab rtt gen 3r be mounted directly on to the Rhino rack when it comes with 270 awning? The rack, that is. Or is it better with crossbars and mount the gen 3r to them along with the Alucab 270 awning?
That combination of the Alu-cab RTT and awning seems pretty neat. I believe they also do load bars, which I think may be a bit wider than the Rhino versions.

Local time
Reaction score
We also want to use a rooftop tent with the Rhino Rack platform. The tent is mounted far forward, we can then use the rear ladder and stand on the platform behind the tent. Alternatively, a box fits there.

Local time
Reaction score
Why would you carry a full rack under a RTT and awning? It all can be done, but the setup seems much lighter with 2-3 crossbars, no?

Some folks might be using the RTT only for a couple of weeks a year and the roof rack for other purposes the rest of the time. Also when an RTT is mounted that doubles in size when unfolded, i.e. most softshell type models, it leaves room on the rack for whatever you don't want to carry inside the truck.

I had a look at an iKamper a few days ago when a truck turned up here that had one mounted. That seems to be well thought out and of good quality indeed. The owners were entirely happy with it.

On another note, when considering an Oasis: the tent seems to be sturdy albeit its lightweight construction, which itself is a distinct advantage..but..it does not have a mattress and cannot be equipped with one. You sleep in a hammock type thing, that is attached to the structure and unfolds when you open up the tent. I tried that out when they came out about twenty years ago and thats definitely not for me. Different when you are used to sleeping in hammocks I suppose.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
Some folk might be using the RTT only for a couple of weeks a year and the roof rack for other purposes the rest of the time. Also when an RTT is mounted that doubles in size when unfolded, i.e. most softshell type models, it leaves room on the rack for whatever you don't want to carry inside the truck.

I had a look at an iKamper a few days ago when a truck turned up here that had one mounted. That seems to be well thought out and of good quality indeed. The owners were entirely happy with it.

On another note, when considering an Oasis: the tent seems to be sturdy albeit its lightweight construction, which itself is a distinct advantage..but..it does not have a mattress and cannot be equipped with one. You sleep in a hammock type thing, that is attached to the structure and unfolds when you open up the tent. I tried that out when they came out about twenty years ago and thats definitely not for me. Different when you are used to sleeping in hammocks I suppose.
Good point re. the OASIS RTT. The "trampoline"-type webbing base can be tightened as required to suit one's bodyweight. I have also fitted mine with a self inflating mat which stays in the tent.

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
Do any of the brands in the US offer awnings or awning rooms with their roof tents? All I can see is one of the ARB models doing it.

Back
Top Bottom