The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hard shell rooftop tent

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Do any of the brands in the US offer awnings or awning rooms with their roof tents? All I can see is one of the ARB models doing it.
An awning (at the least) is pretty much a given "freebie" with a lot of the RTTs sold in the US; particularly as part of a sale. More common with the side opening hardshells. But nearly all of the ones I've ever looked at purchasing have awnings available (and most have annexes as well) save for wedge/clamshell styles.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
I mean if cash is not an object check out red tail overland.https://www.redtailoverland.com/

Also antishanty is making a hard side shell. They have one that doubles as a carrier but now coming out with a thin version. https://antishanty.com/rooftop-camper/

Being in PNW, I like the idea of a hard shell RTT

Local time
Reaction score
Check out the South African brands such as Eezi-Awn…

You beat me to it.

I mean if cash is not an object check out red tail overland.https://www.redtailoverland.com/

Also antishanty is making a hard side shell. They have one that doubles as a carrier but now coming out with a thin version. https://antishanty.com/rooftop-camper/

Being in PNW, I like the idea of a hard shell RTT

Fully agreed!

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My top two RTT options at the moment are Alu-Cab's Gen 3R (Alu-Cab 3R) and The Bush Company's AX27 Mk.2 (AX27 Mk.2). Both appear to be top-notch, but, at least right now, I'm leaning Alu-Cab, just because they seem to be a little more innovative with the prop-up mattress feature, drop down table, side vents for heating/cooling, and pre-wired connection for solar panels. I love hearing about other options. I do prefer the Bush Company's 270 XT Max Mk. 2 awning over Alu-Cab's 270 offering, however.

Local time
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My top two RTT options at the moment are Alu-Cab's Gen 3R (Alu-Cab 3R) and The Bush Company's AX27 Mk.2 (AX27 Mk.2). Both appear to be top-notch, but, at least right now, I'm leaning Alu-Cab, just because they seem to be a little more innovative with the prop-up mattress feature, drop down table, side vents for heating/cooling, and pre-wired connection for solar panels. I love hearing about other options. I do prefer the Bush Company's 270 XT Max Mk. 2 awning over Alu-Cab's 270 offering, however.

Never heard of TBC over here in the USA, so can't comment about their products. But Alu-Cab are typically top notch.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Never heard of TBC over here in the USA, so can't comment about their products. But Alu-Cab are typically top notch.
Midguard Adventure is an authorized U.S. Bush Company dealer. They are in Dickinson, TX. Bush Company products seem every bit as high quality as Alu-Cab's, at least based on reviews I have seen. I have not had a chance to see either of their products up close and personal.

Local time
Reaction score
Midguard Adventure is an authorized U.S. Bush Company dealer. They are in Dickinson, TX. Bush Company products seem every bit as high quality as Alu-Cab's, at least based on reviews I have seen. I have not had a chance to see either of their products up close and personal.

Thanks for the info. The double action roofs are pretty slick, for when it's appropriate to deploy more than just an angled roof.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The double action roofs are pretty slick, for when it's appropriate to deploy more than just an angled roof.
Indeed, they take double action roofs to the next level with the TX27 Max, but I think that 293 lbs. weight of that Absolute Unit would be a serious challenge to the 150 kg (331 lbs.) dynamic load limit for the Grenadier roof, particularly after you added mattress, ladder, bedding, solar panel, awning, etc. The regular TX27 is more reasonable at a sprightly 271 lbs. Yeesh. Solid build.

Pfk

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:48 PM
Reaction score
I am aware this is a hardshell Rtt thread, but I’d like to ask if anyone has any experience with a soft shell Rtt, specifically the Autohome brand and overland model.

Considering one for my overland trailer in large as it is quite spacious for a family (180cm x 220cm).

Local time
Reaction score
Indeed, they take double action roofs to the next level with the TX27 Max, but I think that 293 lbs. weight of that Absolute Unit would be a serious challenge to the 150 kg (331 lbs.) dynamic load limit for the Grenadier roof, particularly after you added mattress, ladder, bedding, solar panel, awning, etc. The regular TX27 is more reasonable at a sprightly 271 lbs. Yeesh. Solid build.

Yeah, either is getting too heavy for sure IMHO.
Why I'd only do another Autohome again in Medium size; 143lbs(fiberglass) - 121lbs(carbon).

Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
An awning (at the least) is pretty much a given "freebie" with a lot of the RTTs sold in the US; particularly as part of a sale. More common with the side opening hardshells. But nearly all of the ones I've ever looked at purchasing have awnings available (and most have annexes as well) save for wedge/clamshell styles.
What?? I feel like we're getting ripped off in the UK then! It's very rare to get an awning or an annexe with the RTT and I've seen some of the sales and they haven't included them. They sometimes offer them when a particular model is being discontinued.
Like the RTTs below only one comes with an annex.
https://outdoorroadie.co.uk/pages/top-10-rooftop-tents

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What?? I feel like we're getting ripped off in the UK then! It's very rare to get an awning or an annexe with the RTT and I've seen some of the sales and they haven't included them. They sometimes offer them when a particular model is being discontinued.
Like the RTTs below only one comes with an annex.
https://outdoorroadie.co.uk/pages/top-10-rooftop-tents
It’s got to depend on the quality of the RTT and the awning. I can’t see any supplier giving away a quality awning worth £1500 when you buy a quality RTT for £3500. Really cheap awnings are not worth fitting in my view. 🤔

Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
It’s got to depend on the quality of the RTT and the awning. I can’t see any supplier giving away a quality awning worth £1500 when you buy a quality RTT for £3500. Really cheap awnings are not worth fitting in my view. 🤔
Also depends on one's definition of "awning". I'm not talking a 180 or 270 that attaches to the vehicle, but a zip-on 180 that's common with something like an iKamper side-opening style. Not much to those as it's a piece of fabric with a section of zipper in the middle and grommets along the edges. But they're highly effective and, honestly, far more adaptable than an awning with aluminum arms as one can anchor them in such a way to block wind/rain/sun from various angles.

Attachments

• awning.jpg
    awning.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 39
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever seen a £1,500 Awning.. The most I've seen over in the UK are £300-500 ranges where it is predominantly a 180 awning.

Do you have a link to the awnings you're mentioning?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever seen a £1,500 Awning.. The most I've seen over in the UK are £300-500 ranges where it is predominantly a 180 awning.

Do you have a link to the awnings you're mentioning?
Here’s what I had before on my Defender and am also going to be putting one of these on my Grenadier. The quality is great and super strong. It’ll take my weight to do pull-ups on at the hinge end with no support poles. Poles and guys can be added for windy conditions. If had other makes inc eazyawn which buckled in the first camping trip And at £800 was a poor investment on my part. You get what you pay for. Only down side is the 270 awnings are substantially heavier. 👍🏼

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s what I had before on my Defender and am also going to be putting one of these on my Grenadier. The quality is great and super strong. It’ll take my weight to do pull-ups on at the hinge end with no support poles. Poles and guys can be added for windy conditions. If had other makes inc eazyawn which buckled in the first camping trip And at £800 was a poor investment on my part. You get what you pay for. Only down side is the 270 awnings are substantially heavier. 👍🏼
not bad for 24kgs. considering that's approx. the weight difference between my missus and I (I am the fat one) then I'd need stick it on the LHS of the Gren.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
LHS is standard fitting RHS special order. Personally I think the weight goes hand in hand with the quality and price. I suppose some one could make a super light and strong titanium one but the price would be too high. I just know from experience this one suits me and I prefer the 270 degree although if going for a fold out roof top tent Maybe 180 would suffice for some. Horses for courses as they say.
not bad for 24kgs. considering that's approx. the weight difference between my missus and I (I am the fat one) then I'd need stick it on the LHS of the Gren.

Back
Top Bottom