The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hard shell rooftop tent

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience, Christoph. It makes it easier for me to justify ordering the "officially sanctioned" Ineos crossbars. It's frustrating they will only let you order a pair. I will need to pick up a third at some point for the RTT.

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience, Christoph. It makes it easier for me to justify ordering the "officially sanctioned" Ineos crossbars. It's frustrating they will only let you order a pair. I will need to pick up a third at some point for the RTT.
Happy that this is helpful for you :)

The sad part is: I would have also gone original - but there is no way anybody guarantees you when it will be delivered :-(

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score
I ordered now the Thule cross Bars for the roof Top Tent, my Ordered and paid Ineos Cross bars are still out for delivery….. But I dońt want to wait until winter 20xx… to get them .
For the Thule I will work out something similar like from das Mo. Maybe Prototyping in Aluminium. Thule bars are sold out too, at the moment, but available end of next week.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A shared buy with a forum mate?

Sounds like a buy & share item for our classifieds forum.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Good point. I didn't even consider this. Wondering what made Expedition Parts recommend this.
Perhaps it's no problem. You could send a picture togther with a dimensioned sketch to Thule and ask for their assessment.

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The dynamic roof load is 150 kg - but I also wonder whether this is true for the rain gutter.

I am about to prepare my Grenadier for a roof tent and have bought the Thule ProBar Evo (https://www.thule.com/de-de/roof-rack/car-roof-racks/thule-probar-evo-_-39xx?fitassistant=make:INEOS|Ineos,model:Grenadier+5-T+SUV|Grenadier%205-T%20SUV,year:2022-|2022-,variation:roof-type-617954|Regenrinne) as
1. it is explicitly approved for the Grenadier by Thule
2. it seems to be one (if not the only one) available to order currently

Ordered it via Amazon and all pieces arrived today and I assembled it and put it up.

Now, I did read on a German reseller website (Expedition parts: https://shop.expedition-parts.de/detail/index/sArticle/362922/sCategory/2449 - they sell the exact same Thule kit), they recommend:

German original:

English translation:

So, I bought some metal sheets and 3 mm rubber plates and created the following:

View attachment 7818200

View attachment 7818201

View attachment 7818202

View attachment 7818203

View attachment 7818204

So far, so good. But in practice it becomes this:

View attachment 7818205

So, theoretically the suggestion was appealing to me, distributing the load better on to the rain gutter, but this does not look stable / reliable at all and I am wondering whether I should withdraw the metal sheets again and just use it plain as intended by Thule.

Anybody any thoughts or experience with this?

Best,
Christoph
I also have the crossbars from Thule, as nothing else was available. When I ordered the kit, the reference to the metal plates was definitely not there (but in the end I didn't order the kit, as I got the parts individually much cheaper elsewhere). I have (at least temporarily) also taken such rubber plates, but placed them not on the bottom of the channel, but on the side, so that the foot is further towards the vehicle and the lever in the gutter is not so big (unfortunately I can't take any pictures right now, I'll add them later). So far and after a few overnights without problems (I have four cross bars mounted).

But it was still a quick fix for me after the reports of the bent gutters here in the forum. I'll probably go for sheathed metal profiles. However, the approach of pushing the loaded foot towards the vehicle seems better (for me) than just increasing the contact surface. However, you don't have too much space, otherwise you'll get into trouble with the sockets.

JoeS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The dynamic roof load is 150 kg - but I also wonder whether this is true for the rain gutter.

I am about to prepare my Grenadier for a roof tent and have bought the Thule ProBar Evo (https://www.thule.com/de-de/roof-rack/car-roof-racks/thule-probar-evo-_-39xx?fitassistant=make:INEOS|Ineos,model:Grenadier+5-T+SUV|Grenadier%205-T%20SUV,year:2022-|2022-,variation:roof-type-617954|Regenrinne) as
1. it is explicitly approved for the Grenadier by Thule
2. it seems to be one (if not the only one) available to order currently

Ordered it via Amazon and all pieces arrived today and I assembled it and put it up.

Now, I did read on a German reseller website (Expedition parts: https://shop.expedition-parts.de/detail/index/sArticle/362922/sCategory/2449 - they sell the exact same Thule kit), they recommend:

German original:

English translation:

So, I bought some metal sheets and 3 mm rubber plates and created the following:

View attachment 7818200

View attachment 7818201

View attachment 7818202

View attachment 7818203

View attachment 7818204

So far, so good. But in practice it becomes this:

View attachment 7818205

So, theoretically the suggestion was appealing to me, distributing the load better on to the rain gutter, but this does not look stable / reliable at all and I am wondering whether I should withdraw the metal sheets again and just use it plain as intended by Thule.

Anybody any thoughts or experience with this?

Best,
Christoph
Hi, I have the same problem. But I want to built a construction between the bars and the roof tubes of the grenadier. I think, that’s a better solution.

Best,
Jörg

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

JoeS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Christoph, that’s is my solution in the last minute. It was strong enough for a trip through Norway and Sweden with Al lot of rain and stormy weather.

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you, Jörg, for sharing!

Do you by chance have a photo that shows how the Thule foot is mounted on the rain gutter?

Best, Christoph

JoeS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I attached normally at the rain gutter.👍

Attachments

• IMG_4870.jpeg
    IMG_4870.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 67

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
A shared buy with a forum mate?

Sounds like a buy & share item for our classifieds forum.

I'm up for a shared buy as also need 3 bars - but need the stock to exist first......still waiting on the wee table and side runners :)

Arlette

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, interested in your experience with rooftop tents (RTT as I learned).
I have an older Maggiolina hard shell rooftop tent. Used that in the past on my VW bus and like the concept of a hard shell design that opens parallel.
My tent has entries on both sides but not at the rear. And you already guess it: that just does not match with the ordered Trialmaster having the cool ladder at the back… 🫢
So tent with separate ladder at the side can only be a compromise for some time.
Has anybody experience with RTT with entry at the back? Which model would work well with the grenadier setup?
Does it work to step from ladder directly into RTT without stepping onto roof edge? Or do I need to forsee something there?
I plan to use crossbars, maybe 3 for offroading. When aftermarkets provide an option for crossbars fixed to IG side rail I might go for that instead of rain gutter mounting.
Thanks for your views.

Attachments

• IMG_3453.jpeg
    IMG_3453.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom