The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grrrr. Very mixed feelings

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:17 AM
Reaction score
Pissed of at my self, pissed off at INEOS, pissed off at Canberra local government, but also grudgingly impressed.

Today tried to go into a Canberra car park, no sign at entrance saying it was full but got to boom gate and it was clear no opening until a space freed up and so sign of that being imminent. Other than waiting an indeterminate amount of time the only option was to back out. Was backing out at a slowish pace when all of a sudden crash. I had reversed into a pole. The pole was entirely out of the field of view of the camera. The PDC sensors entirely failed. And the pole was in a mirror blind spot. I could only see it when I moved forward again.

To the credit of the robustness of the vehicle there is no damage to body or lights, howevever it has pushed the metal bumper forward and closer to the body. Now to see how easy it is to remove and refit and bend back to shape. 😡😡😡😡
IMG_5258.jpeg
IMG_5259.jpeg
This is the other side, how it is supposed to look.
IMG_5260.jpeg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better I’ve done exactly the same thing in a 3 Series BMW - I blamed the poor parking sensors at the time as well. Made me feel much better knowing it was BMW’s fault. 😉

Look on the bright side, we’ll all get to know how good the spare parts situation is, being a three piece bumper you only have to replace a bit of it, and if the bumper was plastic you’d have more bits to fix. 😂😂

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
Pissed of at my self, pissed off at INEOS, pissed off at Canberra local government, but also grudgingly impressed.

Today tried to go into a Canberra car park, no sign at entrance saying it was full but got to boom gate and it was clear no opening until a space freed up and so sign of that being imminent. Other than waiting an indeterminate amount of time the only option was to back out. Was backing out at a slowish pace when all of a sudden crash. I had reversed into a pole. The pole was entirely out of the field of view of the camera. The PDC sensors entirely failed. And the pole was in a mirror blind spot. I could only see it when I moved forward again.

To the credit of the robustness of the vehicle there is no damage to body or lights, howevever it has pushed the metal bumper forward and closer to the body. Now to see how easy it is to remove and refit and bend back to shape. 😡😡😡😡
View attachment 7835494
View attachment 7835495
View attachment 7835496
2.9T of mass pushing on that! Yeah the sensors are hit and miss... side mirrors bit narrow. That can be straightened though but suggest finding a structural fabricator and using a pair of rigid sheet metal clamps to pull out out in a press (will make life easier that way). A banner at home won't work...

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
Old Defender same. Crunched mine reversing into a pole at the covid jab place. Same location of car, hard to see.

Shame :cautious:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update: can confirm that judicious application of a rubber mallet at this point has effectively rectified the problem, at least so a casual look doesn’t show a problem. 😀
IMG_5258.jpeg

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better I’ve done exactly the same thing in a 3 Series BMW - I blamed the poor parking sensors at the time as well. Made me feel much better knowing it was BMW’s fault. 😉

Look on the bright side, we’ll all get to know how good the spare parts situation is, being a three piece bumper you only have to replace a bit of it, and if the bumper was plastic you’d have more bits to fix. 😂😂
The bumper itself was fine, not distorted at all really, more the mounts have been compressed

Woody

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another Britannia Blue in Canberra @AnD3rew , good choice. How does the Scottish white roof look? I was tempted to do the same, but ended up with all blue. Still waiting on a couple parts on backorder. Hopefully arrive prior to Christmas.

Reactions: Sam

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Another Britannia Blue in Canberra @AnD3rew , good choice. How does the Scottish white roof look? I was tempted to do the same, but ended up with all blue. Still waiting on a couple parts on backorder. Hopefully arrive prior to Christmas.
Love the Brittania Blue, Scottish white Combo, perfect in my eyes. Was only in Canberra for the day. Sydney based. IMG_4892.jpeg

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7835494
View attachment 7835495
View attachment 7835496
I. Fitted the Wolfbox rear view mirror/dash can. Very happy with the results and for not a lot of money.

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7835494
View attachment 7835495
View attachment 7835496
Just a flesh wound!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Just a flesh wound!
terry gilliam film GIF

prjenns

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
I. Fitted the Wolfbox rear view mirror/dash can. Very happy with the results and for not a lot of money.
How easy was that to install and is it a neat fix?- I pick up my car next week and that was my plan too.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How easy was that to install and is it a neat fix?- I pick up my car next week and that was my plan too.
Easy enough, running the cables the most time consuming. Some info here.

Back
Top Bottom