The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hands Free Phone Mic - quality / performance / position, is unacceptable.

Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
I believe many more owners have this problem than they actually realise. - (Please stick with this to the bottom of this post)
In my case, I can hear who I am talking to on hands free phone perfectly clearly though the car system speakers, but the recipient struggles to hear me most of the time.
I use my phone on hands free frequently and this issue is seriously spoiling my enjoyment of the vehicle.
I received my car in October 2023 in the UK and this was a problem from day one. People who I were talking to initially didn't tell me how bad the reception was for them and the novelty soon wore off. I find my self semi shouting at the overhead panel to make my self heard.
Reported to the dealer many times but Ineos don't give them any fixes or any true acknowledgement that its is a know problem. I have spoken to Ineos Help Line several times direct on the problem and all they have ever done is refer me back to the dealer, who's hands are tied.
After checking with as may people I know well enough, how bad this is whist on the phone with them, it confirmed my theory - try it yourself !....remember it fools you by you herding them perfectly well.
Summary of the problem and my findings
  • With the engine running various sound is picked by the microphone whist in use
  • Phone microphone is located behind the perforations in the overhead panel
  • Microphone position under the panel exposes it to a void up to the roof steel panel and has direct contact to any noise generated by -
    • the engine and powertrain via the body work construction.
      • call recipients can hear the turbo spooling up from low revs, the same noise you can hear with the drivers window down on right hand drive cars from the engine air intake in the right hand wing (fender)
    • wind noise from the safari window next to the overhead panel, which increase with vehicle speed.
  • The microphone picks up an electronic interference with the engine off, ignition on and vehicle stationary.
I have suggested to the dealer that -
  • a better quality noise canceling microphone is required and possibly repositioning.
  • sound insulation material is needed between the overhead panel / microphone and the steel roof body panel and the safari windows side inner sections.
All I am trying to do here is get a fix as for me its ruining a great vehicle

IMG_4740.jpeg

IMG_4614.jpeg

IMG_4615.jpeg

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
Mine is also crap. I found an easy way to test it is using a recorder app. I have tested two Grenadiers with two phones. Just to make sure it is not my phone. The other grenadier seems much better than mine. Engines not running. So what do you think it could be? Is the microphone easy accessible? Have you taken off the panel? Maybe it can be replaced?

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
+1, same problem.
Have spoke to dealer but no fix at present, only told that Ineos will have to source a suitable replacement microphone. This was only from the dealer not Ineos.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
Same issue. Everyone complains they cannot hear me. Pretty disappointing to hear I am not the only one. Seems like a microphone sensitivity setting to me. Or add some noise reduction to the software.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
I have two different model iPhones and have been using the handsfree for 6 months to call customers and family.
When this issue first came up months ago I was concerned so checked with the people I was calling.
All said no problems at all.
To be honest I didn't know where the microphone was so generally just talked to the windscreen.
I always close the windows and Safari window when making a call and have done the same on all previous vehicles.
Main issue I have with the phone system is running two different phones for work and private.
My previous vehicle used to automatically change to my personal phone after hours and on weekend when I didn't have my work phone in the car.
On the GRenadier I have to select them manually every time.

Back
Top Bottom