The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadiers Towing

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
Trailer was way overkill for the 4 troughs i was collecting, but only trailer i own that currently has 13pin electrics!

Still grenadier looked awesome hauling 20230524_143202.jpg

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Trailer was way overkill for the 4 troughs i was collecting, but only trailer i own that currently has 13pin electrics!

Still grenadier looked awesome hauling View attachment 7813710
You could always buy a 13 - 7 pin adapter. I always carry one in my Discovery since my bike carrier is 7 pin.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sadly as my Grenadier is still captive in dry dock, the old JLRange JLRover (isn’t that the potitically correct term now?) is what was required to help a mate collect a vehicle today. I suppose you could say it’s the best of BMW-mash up?4FF0B40C-0A1D-4C2B-A778-1857FA5BC8B0.jpeg

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all, anyone towed a caravan yet with their Grenny?
I am just on a trip with mine and am sure the power feeds for the fridge and battery are not working. I specifically asked when ordering the tow package if it fully wired the 13 pin plug to include these power feeds and the answer was yes.
I don’t have my meter’s with me, whilst I’m away, any chance one of you guys with the towing pack options checking yours out please. I know it should only work when the alternator is providing the power, but I seem to have nothing.
Thanks from sunny Shropshire. 😎

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am just on a trip with mine and am sure the power feeds for the fridge and battery are not working. I specifically asked when ordering the tow package if it fully wired the 13 pin plug to include these power feeds and the answer was yes.
I don’t have my meter’s with me, whilst I’m away, any chance one of you guys with the towing pack options checking yours out please. I know it should only work when the alternator is providing the power, but I seem to have nothing.
Wasn't @DCPU charging his batteries thru the permanent live. Which suggests that the intent is to wire all 12 terminals.
PS. I also asked the question of IA when I ordered a tow kit and it was confirmed as full 13 pin.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wasn't @DCPU charging his batteries thru the permanent live. Which suggests that the intent is to wire all 12 terminals.
PS. I also asked the question of IA when I ordered a tow kit and it was confirmed as full 13 pin.
I'm charging via the towing socket, but to my shame, I don't know which pin it's using ~ I'll unplug and have a check later today and report back if nobody does it earlier.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Just had a look around the batteries and can’t see any obvious split charge relays that would supply the power to the 13 pin plug. However there is every chance I’m looking in the wrong place!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm charging via the towing socket, but to my shame, I don't know which pin it's using ~ I'll unplug and have a check later today and report back if nobody does it earlier.
If it was charging without the ignition on then it's the right pin 9 🤣 and 13 for that pins earth
10 for ignition live eg fridge with 11 earth,

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Just had a look around the batteries and can’t see any obvious split charge relays that would supply the power to the 13 pin plug. However there is every chance I’m looking in the wrong place!
Would you use a split charger for no. 10 pin if you have the auxiliary battery arrangement?

Reactions: PBD

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, I towed my Bailey Unicorn Vigo caravan this week, all electrics were fine including the fridge. The caravan is 7.34m long and weighs something like 1.6 tonnes. It was a breeze to tow having used my Defender TD5 90 previously!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm going to take the question out of the photo thread and reply here:

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Grenadier completed its first 3.5 ton towing mission today. 1 hour away, so plenty of opertunity to get a feel for its manners.
Have to say it excelled. Loads of low down grunt gets you moving with ease, and its super stable. Doesn't get bumped or pushed around at all. Even with the 33 inch mud tires and roof top tent (which hasn't helped my mpg since I put it on but that's another story!) She held 8th gear at 60mph up a long motorway incline.

all in all, as a tow rig its fantastic
20230606_083424.jpg

Back
Top Bottom