The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadiers Towing

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
I know that is a SWB defender on an IWT.
But I have seen pics of a grenadier towing a grenadier on IWT. How is legal, an IWT to tow 3.5T weights at least 890kg. So a grenadier is 2.8T + 0.89T = over the 3.5T vehicle limit, the trailer limit and in some cases over the drivers licence 3.5T limit. (Model dependant but in some cases things are getting close to the limits.)

Last edited:
Reactions: PBD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know that is a SWB defender on an IWT.
But I have seen pics of a grenadier towing a grenadier on IWT. How is legal, an IWT to tow 3.5T weights at least 890kg. So a grenadier is 2.8T + 0.89T = over the 3.5T vehicle limit, the trailer limit and in some cases over the drivers licence 3.5T limit.
Are you sure it was an IWT? I've only seen Ineos themselves using this trailer. I think it was discussed, but buried in a general thread maybe, but the trailer was French, lightweight aluminum(?) and when you looked at the specs it just came in under weight:

FB_IMG_1681369247826.jpg

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you sure it was an IWT? I've only seen Ineos themselves using this trailer. I think it was discussed, but buried in a general thread maybe, but the trailer was French, lightweight aluminum(?) and when you looked at the specs it just came in under weight:

View attachment 7813049
You're probably right and I can't see IA getting caught out. But in the UK it is something to watch out for as IWT are the biggest manufacture/supplier of trailers. As a rule of thumb, in my flatbed, I know if my load is 2.5T or less then I'm OK to tow.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great to see the Gren towing.

I like the shot with the back doors fully open which is handy.

And my D4 has some of those Lab claw marks on the doors!

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m still waiting for my Ineos tow bar to be supplied, but frankly, I couldn’t wait any longer - I need a vehicle that can tow. So after asking the question of Ineos Heritage in Gloucester if there was any reason I couldn’t just fit a certified 3,500kg tow bar, they confirmed it would be fine. Thank You again for answering the phone, as I’m still waiting for my assigned dealer to return my calls, texts and emails after more than a week - I realise they are not going to! I also have had a formal letter from Ineos telling me they can’t give me a date when a tow bar will be available. So after a visit to my local agricultural fabrication shop and fitters, I picked up a tow bar. Two 16mm bolts, a torque wrench and 5 minutes later - problem solved.

I then decided to fit a 20mm spacer. I could have used the standard tow bar, but the hitch of my Ivor Williams came very close to the tow plate (didn’t measure it, but probably less than 10mm) and I didn’t want it catching on uneven surfaces. Sorry, forgot to take a picture.

20230522_162223.jpg

This morning went cross country to Gloucester, with the last 10 miles on the motorway, to collect some pallets. Hardly towing much weight, so not much of a test, but it easily coped with the trailer. Motorway was effortless.

One thing I did notice was the lack of Sport mode in the gearbox. In previous BMWs with same engine and gearbox, Sport mode was excellent for towing. It changed up later in the rev range, taking the stress off the engine when climbing hills, and also changed down earlier on descents, giving excellent engine braking. I found leaving it in drive, it wanted to change up very quickly, even going up hills and you could feel the drive train dealing with the low down torque. Switching to manual override solved this, but so would the Sport mode.

I will follow up with Ineos and see if this can be added back into the BMW stack they started with via a software update. I doubt it, but it’s worth a question.

20230524_134614.jpg

I’m not sure what the towing mpg was, but looking at the impact to my overall average mpg, it was in the ’teens. Most of the miles were minor roads crossing Cotswold hills.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It looks to be towing pretty level, if anything slightly down? Maybe the ground, or weight in the boot?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys are putting in the back tyres? Ineos recon 49 psi but that seems a lot.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys are putting in the back tyres? Ineos recon 49 psi but that seems a lot.
I didn’t change mine today (37psi all round) and it was fine - no TPMS warnings

• Love

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
I have found that using the manual mode and the rev counter to be better choice when towing. I think the engine even in sports mode can't pick up what's ahead so the downshift or upshift end up being late.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's not small. 👍

Back
Top Bottom