The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier winch bumper uk vs australia

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
No need to cut anything, the loop is the correct size for the S-RING to be popped into the loop when needed and removed when not in use.
View attachment 7798131View attachment 7798132View attachment 7798133
We find that a castration band on the rope is a useful addition as under load it allows the rope to take its natural shape but when the load is removed the band holds the ring in place.
Looks like most people will need two snatch rings in their recovery kit then. One S ring 50 for the winch rope end loop and another possibly S ring 120 for the double line pull set up when seriously stuck or winching a heavy load. I was thinking S Ring 120 as has a bigger internal diameter and so less friction when being used as a snatch ring.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Are the different rings not sized to diameter of the rope being used?

It may be different with synthetic rope, but pulley wire rope was always best matched to the inner groove radius:

1623fig02.jpg

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are the different rings not sized to diameter of the rope being used?

It may be different with synthetic rope, but pulley wire rope was always best matched to the inner groove radius:

View attachment 7798147@
Just checked on Red winch website and the s ring 120/ 12T model has a recommended running rope dimension as 10mm-16mm

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry didn’t finish my answer. But from what I can gather the bigger the radius of snatch ring means less friction so i would be happier with a bigger S ring 👍🏼

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
just seen this on the Red winches website and never seen it mentioned before on this forum. Apparently all Red winches are supplied with a plasma rope retention system so that you always have enough turns left on the drum when pulling out the winch rope. A good idea 👍🏼

Local time
Reaction score
Why can't they just stick a hook on it ? Red supply ropes with hooks wouldn't that be a more universal solution. You cant hook a ring to things but you can hook a ring. Bet a decent sized hook won't fit under the plastic cover which most will leave off.
Red hook.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
That's the video I tried to find this afternoon. (No result as the telephone rang and priorities changed).

I dare call him "Mr. Recovery".

Thank you!

Local time
Reaction score
No need to cut anything, the loop is the correct size for the S-RING to be popped into the loop when needed and removed when not in use.
View attachment 7798131View attachment 7798132View attachment 7798133
We find that a castration band on the rope is a useful addition as under load it allows the rope to take its natural shape but when the load is removed the band holds the ring in place.
That green ring is rated at 5T the winch is rated at 5.5T more if used with a snatch block don't you need a ring with a much higher rating for safety bigger rings won't fit the splice soo again I have to cut it off have they thought this out???? I doubt all this will fit inside the cover.

Local time
8:44 PM
Reaction score
That green ring is rated at 5T the winch is rated at 5.5T more if used with a snatch block don't you need a ring with a much higher rating for safety bigger rings won't fit the splice soo again I have to cut it off have they thought this out???? I doubt all this will fit inside the cover.
I would presume there would be a significant safety margin built in to "that green ring" for instance a 3.2 ton bow shackle does not start to distort until the load reaches somewhere between 12 - 15 ton, and a 4.5 ton bow shackle 22 ton. Even if the green ring is double the 5 ton that would be plenty.

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score

3 cable ties (and potentially some duct tape) would be more appropriate here in Australia

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would presume there would be a significant safety margin built in to "that green ring" for instance a 3.2 ton bow shackle does not start to distort until the load reaches somewhere between 12 - 15 ton, and a 4.5 ton bow shackle 22 ton. Even if the green ring is double the 5 ton that would be plenty.
The following is meant to show that the S-Ring-50 is suitable for what Ineos and Red Winches have intended. This isn’t meant as any kind of definitive instruction. As most will understand a detailed understanding of equipment and it’s limitations is required before attempting winching operations. There can be no reliance on WLL (Working Load Limit) as this can change depending on the use of the equipment ie choking a strop reduces it’s WLL by 50%.

There is a mountain of information on the internet and time spent viewing that will help those new to winching and those not familiar with ropes, soft shackles and associated equipment.

MBS - Minimum Breaking Strength. This is the minimum breaking point of a piece of equipment under testing. Most will have failed at a higher point but this is the minimum that any failed at.

WLL - Working Load Limit.
WLL is the safe work load for regular use under normal conditions. The WLL is a fraction of MBS. Safety Factors in the rigging industry range from 2:1 to 6:1 depending on the product and the potential for safety risk.

Now for the S-Ring-50 the MBS is 10197kg. Where as the WLL is 5t (5000kg). A Safety Factor ratio of 2:1.

I was hoping someone with greater knowledge than myself would reply but no luck, so I’ve kept it simple.

Back
Top Bottom