The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier winch bumper uk vs australia

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
Hello Guys ,

I think by now its is almost certain that the Uk model will be getting a very different winch bumper to Australia . Not just the fact that it will be plastic vs metal in Australia ( not commenting on the bulbar .) The bit that really annoys me is the plastic cover that needs to be removed in accessing the rope instead of the very cool in my opinion flip up licence plate .

My question is if the winch is in the same position in both variants are the bumpers interchangeable ? Or even the central portion? Having a good look at pictures it looks to me that the fairlead is really recessed into the bumper of the Uk model compared to the Au model .

Beyond aesthetics the way the fairlead is buried in the bumper i am afraid it will limit the angle you can winch ( i know you are not supposed to winch at that steep of an angle but there are times where you can take educated risks) .

Looking forward to your thoughts .

Regards

Tinki

Tinki

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello Guys ,

I think by now its is almost certain that the Uk model will be getting a very different winch bumper to Australia . Not just the fact that it will be plastic vs metal in Australia ( not commenting on the bulbar .) The bit that really annoys me is the plastic cover that needs to be removed in accessing the rope instead of the very cool in my opinion flip up licence plate .

My question is if the winch is in the same position in both variants are the bumpers interchangeable ? Or even the central portion? Having a good look at pictures it looks to me that the fairlead is really recessed into the bumper of the Uk model compared to the Au model .

Beyond aesthetics the way the fairlead is buried in the bumper i am afraid it will limit the angle you can winch ( i know you are not supposed to winch at that steep of an angle but there are times where you can take educated risks) .

Looking forward to your thoughts .

Regards

Tinki

Tinki
Good point. Can see that plastic bumper getting wrecked in certain situations
in my previous life of many years building power lines, we would often be using winches at extreme angles, for winching equipment and structures into place and vehicle recovery in extreme situation. Sometimes even using the winch to extricate ourselves out backwards by threading the winch cable underneath the vehicle to an anchor point. You certainly won’t be doing that with such a recessed winch surrounded by a plastic bumper.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just been looking on the internet at images of vehicle mounted front winches. Every one I’ve seen even with a recessed winch, has the fairlead attached at the very front of the vehicle or bumper so avoiding any fouling of the winch rope. Maybe Ineos has some extended fairlead or other solution for customer models ?

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The way the uk bumper is set up is like winching form the depths of a plastic funnel. Extended fairleads will not work due to the lenght of the studs that will be needed . I think it might be the only compromise that they accepted. Hence why i am
Hoping i can get a different bumper on it .

Local time
Reaction score
The way the uk bumper is set up is like winching form the depths of a plastic funnel. Extended fairleads will not work due to the lenght of the studs that will be needed . I think it might be the only compromise that they accepted. Hence why i am
Hoping i can get a different bumper on it .
The UK winch is set further back I think we will be scouring the AUS parts manual for the better set up the UK one is a joke but regs are regs with the winch there is nowhere to mount spotlights on the UKversion

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I could possibly be done but in the event of an accident, I think the insurance company would take a dim view of it.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve just pulled this photo from the new Landrover defender U.K. brochure. They have the fair lead at the front of the bumper.
I think that for a vehicle that is “Built on purpose “ as the Grenadier is. Then this winch will be used for work as well as self recovery and often in extreme conditions as the utility models may get used by emergency services, utility companies, forestry contractors etc. The Red 4171640C-84CC-4DA7-89D4-975BDC9A2AAF.jpegwinch although good and built on purpose needs to be mounted so it can be used on purpose in my view.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
I’ve just pulled this photo from the new Landrover defender U.K. brochure. They have the fair lead at the front of the bumper.
I think that for a vehicle that is “Built on purpose “ as the Grenadier is. Then this winch will be used for work as well as self recovery and often in extreme conditions as the utility models may get used by emergency services, utility companies, forestry contractors etc. The Red View attachment 7797582winch although good and built on purpose needs to be mounted so it can be used on purpose in my view.
I had to reread your post because on first glance I though you said the new Defender was “built with purpose “ and I started to laugh. I don’t think I’ve ever been so disappointed by a new vehicle I was looking forward to. I don’t want to hijack the thread but jeeze. What a let down.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To be honest i am not an expert but seeing as so many other vehicles have metal bumpers ( not bullvars) see older generation defenders , g class . Swapping the bumper of the grenadier if its is compatible and simply declaring it might be an option . What my fear is is that the front mount for the which will be different between the two versions . In the pictures i just cannot see how it can be the same with a differnt bumper ( unless the uk bumper is double the length ) .
As for the defender i agree very disappointing. But i guess that is why we are all here :)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you're working off nominal fleet angles of a few degrees, then there seems more than enough "tolerance" to exceed these before the limit of the edges of the bumper are reached.
IMG_20221212_081827.jpg

Too many trucks

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Still undecided whether to add a winch to my order, already spec'd the aux wiring just in case. I think on balance having the winch is better than not but I agree with comments that the EU spec Bruce Forsyth Chinny 'chin 'chin plastic bumper does appear to be inferior to the Aus steel jobbie when it come to Man points. I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh to decide further.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you're working off nominal fleet angles of a few degrees, then there seems more than enough "tolerance" to exceed these before the limit of the edges of the bumper are reached.
View attachment 7797653
Agreed! In most situations it will be fine. Only time will tell. The proof will be when the winch starts getting used in anger for self rescue in extreme conditions or by utility and rescue organisation. 👍

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
Still undecided whether to add a winch to my order, already spec'd the aux wiring just in case. I think on balance having the winch is better than not but I agree with comments that the EU spec Bruce Forsyth Chinny 'chin 'chin plastic bumper does appear to be inferior to the Aus steel jobbie when it come to Man points. I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh to decide further.
I added the front tow hitch so I get the wiring and decide if I want a winch later

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I added the front tow hitch so I get the wiring and decide if I want a winch later
If you add the current integrated front Red winch at a later stage (purchase from the agent or direct from Red?) would you upgrade the front springs?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you add the current integrated front Red winch at a later stage (purchase from the agent or direct from Red?) would you upgrade the front springs?
No
25kg makes very little difference.
putting me in the passenger seat or filling the fuel tank would have more impact.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7797653
Thats not a particularly good position for the fairlead, with either a left or right pull there is a possibility of it coming into contact with the bumper

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score

(Approximated) worst case looks a bit different.
IMG_20221212_081827.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
(Approximated) worst case looks a bit different.
View attachment 7797662
But still huge fleet angles...I'm wondering if anyone worrying about this has actually tried to winch at these angles and seen one of two things happen ~ multiple wraps at one end of the drum jams rope against link bars or rope bites down between wraps and becomes a tangled mess.

There's ways to change the fleet angle by using a snatch block or even slewing the front of the vehicle that your winch and winch rope will thank you for.

There are a few things that Ineos have had to compromise on with regard to the winch but fleet angles really isn't one of them IMHO.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But still huge fleet angles...I'm wondering if anyone worrying about this has actually tried to winch at these angles and seen one of two things happen ~ multiple wraps at one end of the drum jams rope against link bars or rope bites down between wraps and becomes a tangled mess.

There's ways to change the fleet angle by using a snatch block or even slewing the front of the vehicle that your winch and winch rope will thank you for.

There are a few things that Ineos have had to compromise on with regard to the winch but fleet angles really isn't one of them IMHO.
Understood. I understand they have to compromise to meet pedestrian safety standards. I’m not building power lines any more as per my previous posts. So don’t think it will bother me too much. But believe me the things we have done with winches in Landrovers, Reynold Boughton RB44’s and Unimogs is unbelievable when building power lines with most extreme angles and abuse of vehicles and winches imaginable, just to get the job done. 20 years since I left the industry, so imagine health and safety wouldn’t let us do those things anyway 😎

Back
Top Bottom