The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier winch bumper uk vs australia

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
Interesting video. A lot was talked about the dynamic bend radius. The Red winch s ring 80 used in the video, I can’t see that version on the Red winch website. But for comparison the Red winch s ring 50 /green ring as supplied in the kit, has an internal diameter ( the face the winch rope sits on ) of 28mm. The Red winch s 120 /12T version has an internal dimeter of 36mm. With an 11mm winch rope which I think we are getting. That leaves a pretty small dynamic bend radius. You do the maths.
I feel the factor55 and the sabre snatch rings came way out on top here.
Just my thoughts. Maybe “Booker78” could elaborate B031FFC0-225E-4872-826A-C7A7858CBE21.pngDE9187E5-9562-46E0-97B4-07005CBAF9B9.png7D594AE2-C6F7-44C2-AA6F-6207468C4D2C.png

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Factor 55 one does seem to be the pick of the bunch with some nice engineered attention to detail.
Maybe it’s just marketing on behalf of Sabre but their website states that they are one of only a few manufacturers that produce snatch rings with a dynamic bend radius of 8:1 and therefore re suitable for winch line sizes of 10 - 12 mm and with a 96mm internal diameter and a winch line of 11mm that’s a 8.7:1 bend radius.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
Does the AUS Grenadier with a steel bumper, but without a winch, have the same front springs as the UK Grenadier with a plastic bumper, also without a winch?

If the answer to that question is "Yes" - then if you purchase an AUS Grenadier with the steel bumper, and you add a winch later, then you are adding much more than just the weight of the winch, you've got the bumper as well.

Adding both a steel bumper and a winch (as weight in front of the front axle), without increasing the load-rating of the front springs, will be very noticeable, and will degrade handling of the vehicle. It is not equivalent to carrying the same weight in the passenger compartment (i.e. between the two axles).

Maybe Ineos has developed multiple spring rates for the different variants of the Grenadier. They wouldn't need all eight of these options (below), as there will be some cross-over in weight between some variants. In other words, the eight options listed below do not represent eight distinct weight-classes, but they certainly represent more than two.

1. Gas engine / plastic bumper / no winch - lightest vehicle
2. Gas engine / plastic bumper / winch
3. Gas engine / steel bumper / no winch
4. Gas engine / steel bumper / winch
5. Diesel engine / plastic bumper / no winch
6. Diesel engine / plastic bumper / winch
7. Diesel engine / steel bumper / no winch
8. Diesel engine / steel bumper / winch - heaviest vehicle

Does anyone know how many front spring variants Ineos has developed? Just for comparison - Ram Heavy Duty trucks have dozens of different front springs, based on engine, bumper, payload, snow-plow package, and winch options.
I have heard it said there are 7 different front springs for different markets and configurations. I suspect Australia already has a different spring from UK, and I believe if you have roo bar and winch you do get a different spring.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have heard it said there are 7 different front springs for different markets and configurations. I suspect Australia already has a different spring from UK, and I believe if you have roo bar and winch you do get a different spring.
If that’s the case I’m surprised you can’t nominate a spring / shock on order? Imagine if you could increase the rating from factory based on what aftermarket mods you were going to fit straight away, without having to toss the OEM set and replace with aftermarket shocks / springs. That’d be ideal.

I get they wouldn’t want the geometry altered based on what was delivered though.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If that’s the case I’m surprised you can’t nominate a spring / shock on order? Imagine if you could increase the rating from factory based on what aftermarket mods you were going to fit straight away, without having to toss the OEM set and replace with aftermarket shocks / springs. That’d be ideal.

I get they wouldn’t want the geometry altered based on what was delivered though.
Yes but how many customers would truly know enough about suspension spring rates to take up that option?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes but how many customers would truly know enough about suspension spring rates to take up that option?
Hence my last comment. And sure for most it wouldn’t be a consideration, but no other coy would have seven different factory options either I would think. Real issue is that without driving it first you wouldn’t know what adjustments were required given your application requirements anyway.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Agree that might be nice but a potential headache for them with inconsistency in ride and handling from the factory, I get why they don’t. If you do it yourself you take all the responsibility if they do it, it’s on them

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In finalising the build (Jan) and getting ready for contract my Ineos rep has been advised by Ineos Operations that the front towing plate is incompatible with a portable winch. Also confirmed was that ordering the winch does involve a suspension upgrade. That is in Australia, so it is quite possible the steel bar is an upgrade level and the winch is a second level.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah be good to know. Given the roos bar, side protection and sliders/steps are all dealer accessories wonder how they would deal with any suspension issues.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah be good to know. Given the roos bar, side protection and sliders/steps are all dealer accessories wonder how they would deal with any suspension issues.
I was told the roobars etc come with the vehicle from the factory and are fitted locally by my dealer.
therefore the factory knows exactly what you are getting.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've posed the question via my dealer. I get they might install these items at the dealer. But accessory items should not change the build, otherwise they should be referred to as factory options. The brochure clearly differentiates between accessories (roo, bar, sliders etc) and options (integrated winch etc).

But as we have seen, sometimes the marketing dept isn't aligned with the engineering dept.

I can only imagine the chaos these sorts of issues (e.g. front tow plate/removable winch) are creating in what is effectively a start-up.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've posed the question via my dealer. I get they might install these items at the dealer. But accessory items should not change the build, otherwise they should be referred to as factory options. The brochure clearly differentiates between accessories (roo, bar, sliders etc) and options (integrated winch etc).

But as we have seen, sometimes the marketing dept isn't aligned with the engineering dept.

I can only imagine the chaos these sorts of issues (e.g. front tow plate/removable winch) are creating in what is effectively a start-up.
I can see a situation where you order with removable winch or roo bar and your build is January.
Then they get advised by supplier of winch or bar that they can't supply until April.
Do they build your vehicle and park it in the car park until April or do they push back your build date?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hence my last comment. And sure for most it wouldn’t be a consideration, but no other coy would have seven different factory options either I would think. Real issue is that without driving it first you wouldn’t know what adjustments were required given your application requirements anyway.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Landrover:
Springs rates-0~1.jpg

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In finalising the build (Jan) and getting ready for contract my Ineos rep has been advised by Ineos Operations that the front towing plate is incompatible with a portable winch. Also confirmed was that ordering the winch does involve a suspension upgrade. That is in Australia, so it is quite possible the steel bar is an upgrade level and the winch is a second level.
I think you have been given the wrong information, I think you have to have the front towing plate to use the porttable winch at the front. The front towing plate is incompatible with the mounted permanent front winch.

Back
Top Bottom