The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier winch bumper uk vs australia

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
Sadly the Grenadier will not come with any solution, they have all been put forwards but adding anything hard ahead of the Fairlead would have meant the vehicle would not have passed the pedestrian safety tests
Ah, it’s good to understand that - thanks @Brookers78 .
I’m not sure the same constraint exists for Australia but that‘s a conversation for Ineos not you guys.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
It's interesting to see how JLR met the same legislation with the new Defender. There's a closed thimble on the eye and is held out of the way, beneath and behind the fairlead by a pin through a bracket.

The plastic coverplate also looks near identical to the Ineos solution.
Screenshot_20221217_093521_com.google.android.youtube.jpgScreenshot_20221217_094115_com.google.android.youtube.jpgScreenshot_20221217_093944_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
The kit also includes a hook:
Screenshot_20221217_132832_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
So we just get a spliced loop??????????????
The spliced loop is sized to take the S-RING-50 from the recovery kit so you can carry out closed loop winching.
I run the same system on my own vehicle and prefer it to having a hook as it is a lot more versatile.
When not in use I keep the S-Ring in the glovebox.
received_357071835285226.jpeg

Local time
Reaction score
The spliced loop is sized to take the S-RING-50 from the recovery kit so you can carry out closed loop winching.
I run the same system on my own vehicle and prefer it to having a hook as it is a lot more versatile.
View attachment 7798115
Do we have to cut the loop off and splice the ring into the rope ? for £3400 seems a little stingy why not supply something you can winch with out of the box. Why not just use the steel cable I have with fitted hook . I thought I had ordered a useable winch now we have to modify it from the start.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7798115
Closed system I’m onboard with. This being my issue with the Red recovery kit - I’m wanting to move to a system with soft shackles throughout, where the only potential missiles are the (aluminium) winch shackle and recovery ring.

Local time
Reaction score
Closed system I’m onboard with. This being my issue with the Red recovery kit - I’m wanting to move to a system with soft shackles throughout, where the only potential missiles are the (aluminium) winch shackle and recovery ring.
The problem is if you just use a soft shackle you end up with a rope on rope rigging situation that dramatically reduces the MBS of the rope hence the need for the S-RING

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The problem is if you just use a soft shackle you end up with a rope on rope rigging situation that dramatically reduces the MBS of the rope hence the need for the S-RING
Is that because of the bending radius in the winch rope 🤔

Local time
Reaction score
Do we have to cut the loop off and splice the ring into the rope ? for £3400 seems a little stingy why not supply something you can winch with out of the box. Why not just use the steel cable I have with fitted hook . I thought I had ordered a useable winch now we have to modify it from the start.
No need to cut anything, the loop is the correct size for the S-RING to be popped into the loop when needed and removed when not in use.
received_3824878677565021.jpegreceived_422087865828807.jpegreceived_307158730689399.jpeg
We find that a castration band on the rope is a useful addition as under load it allows the rope to take its natural shape but when the load is removed the band holds the ring in place.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So in the recommended setup you are illustrating above, was there a consistent place that the rope was snapping at when tested?

Local time
Reaction score
So in the recommended setup you are illustrating above, was there a consistent place that the rope was snapping at when tested?
Yes, using the above set up the first point of failure was consistently where the rope enters the drum.
Please bear in mind to achieve this we took the load way beyond the rating of the components.

The integrated winch is a 5.5T model which is possibly more than is needed on a vehicle of this size.
We have spent many weeks field testing over the last few years taking the vehicles into situations that the average owner is unlikely to find themselves in and all testing was done with single line pulls.
The vehicles were always fully loaded to the GVW of 3.5T and to get the line load to 5.5T we had to secure the Grenadier in place and use a much larger vehicle to achieve the max load.
Even with a trailer on this winch will certainly do the job to get the Grenadier through.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, using the above set up the first point of failure was consistently where the rope enters the drum.
Please bear in mind to achieve this we took the load way beyond the rating of the components.

The integrated winch is a 5.5T model which is possibly more than is needed on a vehicle of this size.
We have spent many weeks field testing over the last few years taking the vehicles into situations that the average owner is unlikely to find themselves in and all testing was done with single line pulls.
The vehicles were always fully loaded to the GVW of 3.5T and to get the line load to 5.5T we had to secure the Grenadier in place and use a much larger vehicle to achieve the max load.
Even with a trailer on this winch will certainly do the job to get the Grenadier through.
That’s very reassuring. Thanks 🙏🏼

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We find that a castration band on the rope is a useful addition as under load it allows the rope to take its natural shape but when the load is removed the band holds the ring in place.
I note it's common with some of the soft shackles sold in the sailing markets to have such bands:
Screenshot_20221218_104717.jpg
but they also feature lanyards to help free off connections that have become tight under load. Any thoughts on these?

Are Ineos going to get a part number for the castration bands? 😉

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I note it's common with some of the soft shackles sold in the sailing markets to have such bands:
View attachment 7798137
but they also feature lanyards to help free off connections that have become tight under load. Any thoughts on these?

Don’t give the part number for the castration bands to my wife or I’m out of here 😳🤣

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
View attachment 7798137

You mean those rubber rings they use on young male sheep?

Back
Top Bottom