The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier speedometer (fix)

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
OK, this isn’t really a fix, but some people might consider it to be.

I have noticed that a few reviews released have pointed out that they didn’t like the speedo being on the central screen only and reviewers thought that at least vehicle speed should have been available as a HUD or small screen in front of the driver.

This set me thinking about things like WAZE (sat nav app) and the old dash Satnav’s that used to show you your speed. Everyone used to say they were more accurate than vehicle ones. I also noticed that there is a shelf just about the drivers warning light cluster.

So

I know people have mentioned costly aftermarket HUD systems they intend to retrofit, but what about a GPS Speedo ?

At first I wondered if they exist, but they do and Amazon seem to have a few from about £30. My thinking is these could be mounted on the shelf about the warning lights with those magnetic discs one stuck to the shelf and the other to the unit itself.

I will look at one of these if I find it’s a bit confusing having to glance down and across to the vehicle speed indicator. It doesn’t look like it will break the bank either.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For 30 quid that's tempting - hopefully it fits right in that little area.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
I would be interested in one that works without a mobile phone. I don’t want to pair my phone with some dubious hardware every time I enter the car.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For £30 this one has a built in light sensor and should be no better or worse than a dash mounted sat nav to see in the sunlight etc. I have also noticed some come with a cradle you can mount to the dash or windscreen

I‘ve got some different GPS speedos in my Oldtimers.
this one is the best of all.
connect immediatel, needs no Phone, very good visibilit.
the only thing I don’t like, all of them need a power cable

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am using Waze almost every day, my phone sits in the middle of my console (you getr used to it!), and indeed the speed is way more accurate than the speedo of my car. When my car says that I am driving 132 km/h, it is in fact driving 127 km/h (from 129 km/h on I get fine, although the official limit is 120 km/h).

So, I am also wondering to buy a HUD, but I want it to show the speed of my cellphone. Anyway, I will need a navigation system, and I want to be able to call handsfree, so my (Android) phone will be connected to the Grenadier system.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
If you know on which side to touch a soldering iron, this would be a solution.

There are many projects like this, I just picked one at random. A 3D printer for a case would be handy, but it's not mandatory.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope to find a smart Phone holder for the IG, to get this in the correct point of view!

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you know on which side to touch a soldering iron, this would be a solution.

There are many projects like this, I just picked one at random. A 3D printer for a case would be handy, but it's not mandatory.

Love it, :love: I even have that test-board, but I think it will be easier and cheaper to buy a complete system on AliExpress! No burning injuries required. :eek:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
OK, this isn’t really a fix, but some people might consider it to be.

I have noticed that a few reviews released have pointed out that they didn’t like the speedo being on the central screen only and reviewers thought that at least vehicle speed should have been available as a HUD or small screen in front of the driver.

This set me thinking about things like WAZE (sat nav app) and the old dash Satnav’s that used to show you your speed. Everyone used to say they were more accurate than vehicle ones. I also noticed that there is a shelf just about the drivers warning light cluster.

So

I know people have mentioned costly aftermarket HUD systems they intend to retrofit, but what about a GPS Speedo ?

At first I wondered if they exist, but they do and Amazon seem to have a few from about £30. My thinking is these could be mounted on the shelf about the warning lights with those magnetic discs one stuck to the shelf and the other to the unit itself.

I will look at one of these if I find it’s a bit confusing having to glance down and across to the vehicle speed indicator. It doesn’t look like it will break the bank either.
I'm in a minority of one. I like the speedo in the centre display and the uncluttered forward view. But there again I'm not a lover of the HUD.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I would love to just have not too fancy display, not too big, showing nothing but speed. And no overhead display as in my experiwnces they are useless with polarized sunglasses. Haven’t found anything suitable here in Germany yet, though.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would love to just have not too fancy display, not too big, showing nothing but speed. And no overhead display as in my experiwnces they are useless with polarized sunglasses. Haven’t found anything suitable here in Germany yet, though.
Have you noticed with polarised sunglasses and laptops etc that if you rotate the screen by 90 degrees all of a sudden there's clarity - not the perfect solution as one cannot drive with one's neck at right angles!

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Have you noticed with polarised sunglasses and laptops etc that if you rotate the screen by 90 degrees all of a sudden there's clarity - not the perfect solution as one cannot drive with one's neck at right angles!
Yes. Same effect when you tilt your head. But that hurts after a while.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm just going to guess - but I think that the first few times we drive the Grenadier, the speedometer location will be annoying, but after that, we will get used to it. I think it stands out as a negative in the reviews, because the journalists don't have enough time with the vehicle to get used to the a-typical location.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
There seems lots to chose from with uncluttered screens in different sizes. As Hannes01 says the only downside I can see is they nearly all need a power cable.

Ineos didn’t think to pre-wire for that accessory did they 😃

As daft as that sounds my Amarok does have a dash shelf and they put a 12v socket on the shelf as well. Clever the Germans !!

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
This was s supposed to be a back to basics truck, why on earth would the copy Tesla for the gauges? Tesla's reason for putting it on the screen was because it has active safety. The Grenadier doesn't have any of that.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
I am using Waze almost every day, my phone sits in the middle of my console (you getr used to it!), and indeed the speed is way more accurate than the speedo of my car. When my car says that I am driving 132 km/h, it is in fact driving 127 km/h (from 129 km/h on I get fine, although the official limit is 120 km/h).

So, I am also wondering to buy a HUD, but I want it to show the speed of my cellphone. Anyway, I will need a navigation system, and I want to be able to call handsfree, so my (Android) phone will be connected to the Grenadier system.
why do i think i'm listening to an indian 😉 really I tell you.

Back
Top Bottom