The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Servicing Price Australia

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
To help you, there is a thread on oil filters here, including third party filters.

A thread here on air filters. They all seem to be using Mahle air filters.

Thread here on rear diesel fuel filter.
Thanks for that, lots of handy info there!

Haven't looked into oil filters a huge amount, but know I can get them form BMW and Toyota OEM or from Ryco aftermarket with an OEM quality guarantee.

I was actually looking at the K&N engine air filter after having a good run with them on my previous cars (and bikes, Ducati) as well as my old man's BMWs (including an M5), not so sure now!

Have read the diesel/water filter thread earlier, no alternatives at the time based on part numbers but a trusted mechanic has suggested it looks like a BMW filter based on images, I'm going to buy one from someone other than my dealer at a lower cost (SLV seems reasonable with their prices) for him to have a look at.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for that, lots of handy info there!

Haven't looked into oil filters a huge amount, but know I can get them form BMW and Toyota OEM or from Ryco aftermarket with an OEM quality guarantee.

I was actually looking at the K&N engine air filter after having a good run with them on my previous cars (and bikes, Ducati) as well as my old man's BMWs (including an M5), not so sure now!

Have read the diesel/water filter thread earlier, no alternatives at the time based on part numbers but a trusted mechanic has suggested it looks like a BMW filter based on images, I'm going to buy one from someone other than my dealer at a lower cost (SLV seems reasonable with their prices) for him to have a look at.
Keep us informed.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
There are instances of specific oils being needed though! For anyone with a petrol Grenadier in AUS which I'm guessing there is very few of (probably lots of petrol ones in the US though), the oil is engine specific and there are no off-the-shelf alternatives (appears to be manufactured specifically for BMW by Fuchs), but can be bought from BMW and Toyota dealers for no doubt less than Ineos agents are trying to slug us...
my agent charged $18.90/l for the Fuchs engine oil

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,

First service update (15K/1Y), Adelaide SA, this is going to be a long one!

Booked in for the service with Adelaide Hills Nissan in Bridgwater who has recently become our Ineos agent and got a date in a few weeks time, asked for some warranty issues to be looked at, listed below, was aware of some recalls being needed after speaking to the former Adelaide agent (Adelaide Hills Motor Group who were in Fullarton) in their final few weeks and asked for a price.

The warranty issues were:
- Main cargo door upper seal coming off
- Heater not working

Recalls I’m aware of:
- Something to do with the bottle jack handle not being able to operate the jack
- A sheath being required for a section of wiring
- Some minor software updates (not a full firmware update)

I got a very quick response booking in the service via text but no confirmation on the warranty/recall issues or price. Though about a week later I received an email informing me they had the seal in but nothing else so I followed them up. The price was $1300 which didn’t sit well with me so instantly asked them for a full breakdown of costs, labour, parts and fluids etc.

I spent some time speaking with redundant staff from the original agent (who spent their last week of employment training the staff that were replacing them) as well as other agents, independent mechanics and just searching the net. At the end of the day found that they were charging 3 hours for 2 hours of work and had prices of 50-100% more for parts and fluids etc.

After another chat with a former employee of the former agent was suggest a first service was around the $900 mark from his memory, for everything including engine air filter and wiper blade rubbers.

Eventually got them down to $1020 but that would mean the air filter would just be inspected/cleaned (assume banged on a bench then hit with an air compressor) rather than replaced (and I’d source a new one to replace it with myself), same for the wiper blade rubbers. Still looked elsewhere but getting my car serviced in time for a planned trip was going to be difficult due to their current workload and we weren’t 100% sure we’d be able to source all the parts required in that time either so just had to suck it up and deal with it.

I took it up first thing THU, booked it in at 8:30 and left it for the morning having gone through everything I wanted done, was assured it would all be good.

Fast forward a few hours…

Cold called to see if my car was ready after a couple of hours, it was but I hadn’t been called, so although I picked it up 2.5H after dropping it off I still got charged what appears to be 3 hours labour (at over $150 and hour), either that or their labour rate is over $225 an hour if it took the suggested 2 hours.

First the warranty stuff, when I picked my car back they said the heater worked fine (it didn’t work at all on the way up) but it was a bit hard to check on the way home, it was 25 degrees outside. The cargo door seal hadn’t been replaced either, got told they hadn’t ordered it in yet despite a week earlier being told they had it, wasn’t impressed…

As for recalls, they didn’t do any of them either, said they would when they got the cargo door seal in so they could do them all at the same time, not sure what was stopping them from doing what was required so wasn’t too happy about this either as it would mean another trip back.

Didn’t drive it on FRI as I had my wife’s car to do some running around in, namely fitting some proper tyres. Ironically it is a Suzuki Jimny we bought from them (they’re also a Suzuki dealer) when I booked my service in and were very well looked after by the sales team, both in terms of price and securing a vehicle within a week despite the 6-12 month wait typical of what we were after.

Took my car out early this morning (SAT) and still no heater so once I was home let it cool down and decided to open the hood and have a look at what had been done.

First thing I noticed was that it didn’t appear to have been touched, it was pretty dusty after getting back from a trip a few weeks ago and I hadn’t had time to give the car a full wash which includes a house out of the engine bay, I’d just pressure washed the exterior an underside to get off any salt and caked on dirt/mud. There wasn’t a single finger print on anything, none of the fluid caps or oil filter housing.

So I started checking things, first up the cooling as I’d been having problems with the heater, the reservoir levels were very low, clearly they hadn’t looked at the heating, or even checked the coolant levels as part of the service. I also ran the automated oil level check which came back as the car being low on oil, OK for on-road use but not off-road, which is where it was when I took it in.

Drove up to the dealer in the hope of them giving me the fluids required to top it up to spec (fluids I had already paid above RRP for) but despite advertising as being open on SAT mornings they are not, had a chat with the service team and they jumped straight on it, after hearing what I had to say they go the dealer manager on the phone (who had been off for a week with COVID) to go through it, we then went out to my car to get photos of the engine bay and fluid levels etc. to send him. The recommendation was that the car is not suitable to be driven without causing damage in the near term.

Even the sales team member who I do like said it looked like it hadn’t been touched, he said the first thing done by the service team was a dust out of the engine bay to prevent contamination etc, something that clearly hadn’t been done, and he also noticed the lack of fingerprints in the dust around the engine bay.

It’s now been left there so the dealer manager can look into things when he gets back next week, in the meantime I have their demo as a loan car. Ironically as soon as I started it to head home the service warning messages came up on the infotainment screen, it’s 37 days overdue for it’s first service, I’m not even going to bother looking at the fluid levels in it, their car, their problem! And a pretty bad look for prospective buyers, and mores myself who’s just been given the car as a loan while they sort out the servicing of my own!

Short of it is, I have no confidence or trust in them to service a Grenadier, they may be grossly incompetent but it appears more likely they’re just ripping people off assuming we don’t know anything about the car while charging a premium for the service. It appears I’ve paid $1020 to have the service warning codes cleared, the outside be hosed (but not actually washed) and some tyre black put on it.

Also gotta question their log-book entry, it’s just a stamp from the previous agent with it being noted as a 15K/1Y service, they’ve left off all other details regarding service manager and comments that I would have thought should be completed regarding warranty and recall work requested/conducted.

Will keep you posted on the outcome!

Cheers,

Miltz

Last edited:

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,

First service update (15K/1Y), Adelaide SA, this is going to be a long one!

Booked in for the service with Adelaide Hills Nissan in Bridgwater who has recently become our Ineos agent and got a date in a few weeks time, asked for some warranty issues to be looked at, listed below, was aware of some recalls being needed after speaking to the former Adelaide agent (Adelaide Hills Motor Group who were in Fullarton) in their final few weeks and asked for a price.

The warranty issues were:
- Main cargo door upper seal coming off
- Heater not working

Recalls I’m aware of:
- Something to do with the bottle jack handle not being able to operate the jack
- A sheath being required for a section of wiring
- Some minor software updates (not a full firmware update)

I got a very quick response booking in the service via text but no confirmation on the warranty/recall issues or price. Though about a week later I received an email informing me they had the seal in but nothing else so I followed them up. The price was $1300 which didn’t sit well with me so instantly asked them for a full breakdown of costs, labour, parts and fluids etc.

I spent some time speaking with redundant staff from the original agent (who spent their last week of employment training the staff that were replacing them) as well as other agents, independent mechanics and just searching the net. At the end of the day found that they were charging 3 hours for 2 hours of work and had prices of 50-100% more for parts and fluids etc.

After another chat with a former employee of the former agent was suggest a first service was around the $900 mark from his memory, for everything including engine air filter and wiper blade rubbers.

Eventually got them down to $1020 but that would mean the air filter would just be inspected/cleaned (assume banged on a bench then hit with an air compressor) rather than replaced (and I’d source a new one to replace it with myself), same for the wiper blade rubbers. Still looked elsewhere but getting my car serviced in time for a planned trip was going to be difficult due to their current workload and we weren’t 100% sure we’d be able to source all the parts required in that time either so just had to suck it up and deal with it.

I took it up first thing THU, booked it in at 8:30 and left it for the morning having gone through everything I wanted done, was assured it would all be good.

Fast forward a few hours…

Cold called to see if my car was ready after a couple of hours, it was but I hadn’t been called, so although I picked it up 2.5H after dropping it off I still got charged what appears to be 3 hours labour (at over $150 and hour), either that or their labour rate is over $225 an hour if it took the suggested 2 hours.

First the warranty stuff, when I picked my car back they said the heater worked fine (it didn’t work at all on the way up) but it was a bit hard to check on the way home, it was 25 degrees outside. The cargo door seal hadn’t been replaced either, got told they hadn’t ordered it in yet despite a week earlier being told they had it, wasn’t impressed…

As for recalls, they didn’t do any of them either, said they would when they got the cargo door seal in so they could do them all at the same time, not sure what was stopping them from doing what was required so wasn’t too happy about this either as it would mean another trip back.

Didn’t drive it on FRI as I had my wife’s car to do some running around in, namely fitting some proper tyres. Ironically it is a Suzuki Jimny we bought from them (they’re also a Suzuki dealer) when I booked my service in and were very well looked after by the sales team, both in terms of price and securing a vehicle within a week despite the 6-12 month wait typical of what we were after.

Took my car out early this morning (SAT) and still no heater so once I was home let it cool down and decided to open the hood and have a look at what had been done.

First thing I noticed was that it didn’t appear to have been touched, it was pretty dusty after getting back from a trip a few weeks ago and I hadn’t had time to give the car a full wash which includes a house out of the engine bay, I’d just pressure washed the exterior an underside to get off any salt and caked on dirt/mud. There wasn’t a single finger print on anything, none of the fluid caps or oil filter housing.

So I started checking things, first up the cooling as I’d been having problems with the heater, the reservoir levels were very low, clearly they hadn’t looked at the heating, or even checked the coolant levels as part of the service. I also ran the automated oil level check which came back as the car being low on oil, OK for on-road use but not off-road, which is where it was when I took it in.

Drove up to the dealer in the hope of them giving me the fluids required to top it up to spec (fluids I had already paid above RRP for) but despite advertising as being open on SAT mornings they are not, had a chat with the service team and they jumped straight on it, after hearing what I had to say they go the dealer manager on the phone (who had been off for a week with COVID) to go through it, we then went out to my car to get photos of the engine bay and fluid levels etc. to send him. The recommendation was that the car is not suitable to be driven without causing damage in the near term.

Even the sales team member who I do like said it looked like it hadn’t been touched, he said the first thing done by the service team was a dust out of the engine bay to prevent contamination etc, something that clearly hadn’t been done, and he also noticed the lack of fingerprints in the dust around the engine bay.

It’s now been left there so the dealer manager can look into things when he gets back next week, in the meantime I have their demo as a loan car. Ironically as soon as I started it to head home the service warning messages came up on the infotainment screen, it’s 37 days overdue for it’s first service, I’m not even going to bother looking at the fluid levels in it, their car, their problem! And a pretty bad look for prospective buyers, and mores myself who’s just been given the car as a loan while they sort out the servicing of my own!

Short of it is, I have no confidence or trust in them to service a Grenadier, they may be grossly incompetent but it appears more likely they’re just ripping people off assuming we don’t know anything about the car while charging a premium for the service. It appears I’ve paid $1020 to have the service warning codes cleared, the outside be hosed (but not actually washed) and some tyre black put on it.

Also gotta question their log-book entry, it’s just a stamp from the previous agent with it being noted as a 15K/1Y service, they’ve left off all other details regarding service manager and comments that I would have thought should be completed regarding warranty and recall work requested/conducted.

Will keep you posted on the outcome!

Cheers,

Paul
Should also point out that the sales team member seemed unaware the Grenadier had a second bonnet stay location that allowed the hood to be opened to 90 degrees, first time he'd seen it was when I used it to show him the fluid levels etc. this morning. Said he knew they opened further but had only ever seen them with the bonnet resting on the windscreen in the service area, no use of the extra bonnet stay position...

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One suggestion buy a Dynamat roller and go over the door seals yourself - to ensure they are properly in place.

Press firmly not hard when doing it. I found parts of my seals not correctly in place. The roller fixed that.

Photo and more details here.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One suggestion buy a Dynamat roller and go over the door seals yourself - to ensure they are properly in place.

Press firmly not hard when doing it. I found parts of my seals not correctly in place. The roller fixed that.

Photo and more details here.
Can get similar from Car Builders (or maybe even from Bunnings), not sure how prices compare. Unfortunately the seal in question isn't going to stick itself back on no matter how much I roll it, the adhesive is done and covered in dust. Could get some quality double sided tape and then hit it with the roller but shouldn't need to be doing this with a 6 month old, $130K car! And if the warranty people don't hear about the issues nothing will be done to address them...

Drivers side door seal also dropped off soon after delivery and that was replaced under warranty a couple of days after I notified my previous agent at the time that it was coming loose. They had a new seal within a day or so and I just dropped in unannounced while in the area and they swapped them on the spot a few days later. They had great service and I really miss their sales/service team being involved with the Grenadier in Adelaide!

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I read the above in despair. 😔

I hope Justin Hoecvar does as well.
I don't even know what to do about this, I got no other agents here, just got slugged over $1K to have my service alarms cleared and for them to disregard all warranty work I requested & even ignore their own recall notices.

All I can think of doing is sourcing all the parts myself and then having an independent mechanic redo all the work for me to ensure the car is serviced to log book/warranty requirements!

I'd also expect a full refund for my "service", and costs paid for me to source parts/fluids & labour for someone else to do the work properly as I have no trust whatsoever in my new agent.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't even know what to do about this, I got no other agents here, just got slugged over $1K to have my service alarms cleared and for them to disregard all warranty work I requested & even ignore their own recall notices.

All I can think of doing is sourcing all the parts myself and then having an independent mechanic redo all the work for me to ensure the car is serviced to log book/warranty requirements!

I'd also expect a full refund for my "service", and costs paid for me to source parts/fluids & labour for someone else to do the work properly as I have no trust whatsoever in my new agent.
Deeply disappointing is an understatement
Some thoughts...
1. Prima facie,they've perpetrated a fraud ...it might have been due a monumental SNAFU due to the absence of the Service Manager
I wouldn’t be surprised if the stuff up will have gone around the dealership's "grapevine" already ...

2.I'd recommend contacting the After Sales manager at Ineos Australia at the Melb. office... he's responsible for the agency servicing arrangements. Ask for his advice.

3. The outcome of your discussion with Ineos Australia HQ, should help you get your " ducks in a row" before you visit the dealership....
Good luck Mate!

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score

The entire ordeal is shameful on behalf of IA and their cluster F servicing outcomes - where is my manual??? I cannot bring myself to spend anywhere near the $$$ asked by the agents. I have a local BMW mech (independent) and seeking costs from him Monday - they have extensive experience in the diesel engines.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Deeply disappointing is an understatement
Some thoughts...
1. Prima facie,they've perpetrated a fraud ...it might have been due a monumental SNAFU due to the absence of the Service Manager
I wouldn’t be surprised if the stuff up will have gone around the dealership's "grapevine" already ...

2.I'd recommend contacting the After Sales manager at Ineos Australia at the Melb. office... he's responsible for the agency servicing arrangements. Ask for his advice.

3. The outcome of your discussion with Ineos Australia HQ, should help you get your " ducks in a row" before you visit the dealership....
Good luck Mate!
Hi Denis!

1. Certainly sounds like fraud to me, charging (and providing an invoice) for work not undertaken is pretty much the definition of it!

2. Have you got contact details you are able to provide, private message will be fine if you don't want to share them in a public forum

3. I'll be up there before they open tomorrow, I'll be asking that I watch all work they do and look at all parts/consumables used, the moment I see anything go astray I'll be asking them to stop and have the service manager get Ineos AUS on the phone. That may happen pretty quickly if they can't work out how to put the hood stay into the service position, if they can't do that they shouldn't be touching the car!

If need be they might need to get Ineos AUS to send one of their "Flying Spanners" to their own service centre to do a first service, that would be embarrassing... Under "OFF GRID SUPPORT" towards the bottom of the page:

Cheers,

Miltz

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The entire ordeal is shameful on behalf of IA and their cluster F servicing outcomes - where is my manual??? I cannot bring myself to spend anywhere near the $$$ asked by the agents.
You seem angry.
Just burn it off by working harder
That's what us booming seniors have done 😆

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Denis!

1. Certainly sounds like fraud to me, charging (and providing an invoice) for work not undertaken is pretty much the definition of it!

2. Have you got contact details you are able to provide, private message will be fine if you don't want to share them in a public forum

3. I'll be up there before they open tomorrow, I'll be asking that I watch all work they do and look at all parts/consumables used, the moment I see anything go astray I'll be asking them to stop and have the service manager get Ineos AUS on the phone. That may happen pretty quickly if they can't work out how to put the hood stay into the service position, if they can't do that they shouldn't be touching the car!

If need be they might need to get Ineos AUS to send one of their "Flying Spanners" to their own service centre to do a first service, that would be embarrassing... Under "OFF GRID SUPPORT" towards the bottom of the page:

Cheers,

Miltz
From memory at the Tech Tour talk in Brisbane, Glen Boyd was introduced as the Aust/NZ Senior After Sales Manager...
The only number I could find for the corp. HQ in Melbourne is (03) 8523 1337.
Hope this helps
D.

Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
Hi Denis!

Cheers,

Miltz
Customer complaints are a case by case issue between that customer the workshop management, the brand management and the mechanic the previous comment about a poor service experience is likely a one off event and not the norm for a large workshop.
The workshop has and the mechanic has every right to decline the job if the customer is difficult or the customer poses a safety risk in the workshop. Remember most dealer techs at some stage attend national training and comment on forums. A very common general conversation is about the good and the bad customers and their vehicles with only the vehicle brand and model being enough to describe the owner demographic. So going into a workshop for the first time and being an arse will be discussed further then the customer realises.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From memory at the Tech Tour talk in Brisbane, Glen Boyd was introduced as the Aust/NZ Senior After Sales Manager...
The only number I could find for the corp. HQ in Melbourne is (03) 8523 1337.
Hope this helps
D.
Glen is a top bloke - one of the good guys.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Customer complaints are a case by case issue between that customer the workshop management, the brand management and the mechanic the previous comment about a poor service experience is likely a one off event and not the norm for a large workshop.
The workshop has and the mechanic has every right to decline the job if the customer is difficult or the customer poses a safety risk in the workshop. Remember most dealer techs at some stage attend national training and comment on forums. A very common general conversation is about the good and the bad customers and their vehicles with only the vehicle brand and model being enough to describe the owner demographic. So going into a workshop for the first time and being an arse will be discussed further then the customer realises.
I’m not really sure what you’re getting at here…

Local time
Reaction score
I hope you are right, and it is a one off, but I have got to ask the question, are you a corporate lawyer ?
Miltz is not a safety risk or a "Karen", if you had met him you would know he is a gentleman.
The poor service experience was a no service at all experience, besides a superficial wash and a service reset, and a bill for over $1,000.
In my unqualified opinion it would be reasonable for Miltz to expect better.

Back
Top Bottom