The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

"Gear box error" message

Wing1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
We just picked up our Grenadier yesterday, drove home and wanted to go out for an icecream. Gear won’t shift, error message: Gear box error. Car won’ t budge.
While we are waiting for the service car to stop by, anyone has had the same experience??

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:37 PM
Reaction score
So it just wont shift into D, or R? Try locking/unlocking/locking it and leaving for 10mins then have another go. I need to do this when my Jeep has a hissy fit. Failing that you may need to disconnect the battery to reboot the systems.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
We just picked up our Grenadier yesterday, drove home and wanted to go out for an icecream. Gear won’t shift, error message: Gear box error. Car won’ t budge.
While we are waiting for the service car to stop by, anyone has had the same experience??
I am sure you are doing all this but I was not used to the BMW auto box and initially did not follow correct procedure eg do you have foot on brake as you attempt to engage gear plus are you pressing side button on the gear knob as you attempt to change gear. Also what gear setting does the display suggest you are in? Good luck

Wing1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So it just wont shift into D, or R? Try locking/unlocking/locking it and leaving for 10mins then have another go. I need to do this when my Jeep has a hissy fit. Failing that you may need to disconnect the battery to reboot the systems.
Yeah we did

Wing1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am sure you are doing all this but I was not used to the BMW auto box and initially did not follow correct procedure eg do you have foot on brake as you attempt to engage gear plus are you pressing side button on the gear knob as you attempt to change gear. Also what gear setting does the display suggest you are in? Good luck
P 🙃

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
when you turn on the ignition, wait until the lights extinguish on the panel in front of the steering wheel, except for engine and handbrake. Then foot on brake and start engine....
Are the doors shut "properly"? They need to be shut VERY firmly otherwise the vehicle will not move out of park!

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
Check the fuses, I had the same issue with another 4wd a few years ago, a mate stuck on a hill, very steep, very rocky, needing to winch. Car wouldn’t come out of park, after over an hour of mucking around and dragging the car back down the hill to a safer location and thinking a very expensive recovery was going to be needed I had the brain wave idea to check all the fuses, 10 minutes later he was driving back up the hill

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
Check the bonnet / hood it also needs to be closed it can look closed but still not be latched a good drop from at least a foot (30cm) should do it.

Wing1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Check the fuses, I had the same issue with another 4wd a few years ago, a mate stuck on a hill, very steep, very rocky, needing to winch. Car wouldn’t come out of park, after over an hour of mucking around and dragging the car back down the hill to a safer location and thinking a very expensive recovery was going to be needed I had the brain wave idea to check all the fuses, 10 minutes later he was driving back up the hill
It was indeed parked in P w/o handbrake on a slight incline. The service guy mentioned that it might be “stuck “ due to the gravity and he managed to manually shift it into Neutral via the underside of the car. However still no possibility to shift. Finally towtruck has towed him away back to the dealer. Still a mystery

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
If bonnet is closed properly and the doors are as well: Did you push the side release button on the shifter when trying to shift?

Might sound like a dumb question - but you never know ...

Wing1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If bonnet is closed properly and the doors are as well: Did you push the side release button on the shifter when trying to shift?

Might sound like a dumb question - but you never know ...
We did!

Wing1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Please keep us updated as we might find ourselves in a similar situation and need a solution . hope all turns out good for you.
Will do!!! We have the 8 th Grenadier delivered in The Netherlands so asume it is still unfamiliar and new for the road assistance and cardealer 😇

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
Sorry @Wing1 for the issues, please do keep us informed. Here is a video of what you have to do to release the zf8 transmission. The grenadier manual may superceded this but incase of a emergency.

View: https://youtu.be/k3TJiHuc0ag
Can someone with a Grenadier confirm that this bolt exists on the transmission?

I ask because included with the factory tool kit is an offset wrench specifically to place the vehicle into a roll-able neutral state, and the method in the video is much easier to get to

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
I think each car might be different. When it was mention the AA driver need to get underneath, I figured he went this route. My L663 that uses thr same transmission has a lever under the hood that you pull but that's because the skid plate is covering the transmission. It takes something like 25 bolts to get to the transmission

Back
Top Bottom