The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Critical malfunction Petrol N1

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
I have seen enough problems with new diesels and will go to petrol. All the emission stuff plus possibly unsuitable drive profile may make modern diesel a real pain in the ass.
"new diesels" generally or the BMWB57 in particular? Have you driven the B57 version of the Grenadier to judge its "drive" profile?
Just asking... :cool:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have seen enough problems with new diesels and will go to petrol. All the emission stuff plus possibly unsuitable drive profile may make modern diesel a real pain in the ass.
The “drive profile” is supurb, from an owner. It is an absolute delight to drive.

Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
I only have experience on later Land Rovers and Jaguars but they use mainly German (and some Japanese) technology on the diesel fuel and emission side. I see two problems:
  1. Complicated systems, especially on emissions: EGR, DPF, Def fluid. These include massive sensoring as e.g. TdV6 diesels have 7 exhaust temperature sensors! And if one fails engine goes to limp mode. User can't override that in any way.
  2. Drive profile: New diesels can't be used only on short trip driving. They need to be driven at least once a week on a highway at constant speed minimum 50-80 km and not going below 60 km/h at any point to be able to burn automatically carbon residues from the diesel particulate filter (DPF). For example Finnish Army has bought about 20 pieces of 2011-12 models of Defender 110 2,2Puma (or 2,2Tdci if you prefer that). They are used mainly on garrison areas and they need to change DPF's once a year as they get clogged to a point even forced burning can't be done. Cost is about 4000 €/shot.
As I live on an island 100 km by 40 km with only one highway and no special need for any longer trips my drive profile has much too many short distances to suit "new diesels".

Therefore I believe AnD3rew has made just the right choice of engine.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
I only have experience on later Land Rovers and Jaguars but they use mainly German (and some Japanese) technology on the diesel fuel and emission side. I see two problems:
  1. Complicated systems, especially on emissions: EGR, DPF, Def fluid. These include massive sensoring as e.g. TdV6 diesels have 7 exhaust temperature sensors! And if one fails engine goes to limp mode. User can't override that in any way.
  2. Drive profile: New diesels can't be used only on short trip driving. They need to be driven at least once a week on a highway at constant speed minimum 50-80 km and not going below 60 km/h at any point to be able to burn automatically carbon residues from the diesel particulate filter (DPF). For example Finnish Army has bought about 20 pieces of 2011-12 models of Defender 110 2,2Puma (or 2,2Tdci if you prefer that). They are used mainly on garrison areas and they need to change DPF's once a year as they get clogged to a point even forced burning can't be done. Cost is about 4000 €/shot.
As I live on an island 100 km by 40 km with only one highway and no special need for any longer trips my drive profile has much too many short distances to suit "new diesels".

If I would live in such an area I wouldn’t have choose the diesel neither.
But as soon as you have some longer distances to drive from time to time you will tend more and more towards it. After a while it is the character of a diesel that you find appealing in itself. But this comes even more with a manual shifted car as the automatic transmission does „blur“ the advantage of the low rpm torque of the diesel.
Despite of extreme examples like I think no one can really make the wrong decision with the engine!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Yes your use case isn’t ideal for diesels. However most people can manage enough of a drive regularly enough for dpfs to regenerate. I had a Mitsubishi diesel with DPF for 7 years and it did mostly short city drives with long thousand km Highway drives a couple of times per year. Never had any DPF problems. The B57 engine needs over 10L of fuel in the tank and 20-30-minute journey time of above 40mph for a dpf burn.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes your use case isn’t ideal for diesels. However most people can manage enough of a drive regularly enough for dpfs to regenerate. I had a Mitsubishi diesel with DPF for 7 years and it did mostly short city drives with long thousand km Highway drives a couple of times per year. Never had any DPF problems. The B57 engine needs over 10L of fuel in the tank and 20-30-minute journey time of above 40mph for a dpf burn.
Also depends if the DPF sits nice and close to manifold to get maximum heat throughput or if it's located further away and fails like the Toyota/Nissan/Subaru variants of years passed! That's my dories with DPFs!

sky22

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As an updated I finally got back the car after 1 month at the shop.
Shout out to the Ineos After Sales Country Manager for having stepped up and taken the matter under his control.
A BMW engineer was sent from Germany to Italy and with a couple of days work managed to identify the issue that was not related to the Vanos system but to the electronic commands sent to the throttle body.
Still an engine problem that none of the diagnostics of Ineos could actually pick up as apparently it is a very modest diagnostic system.
As much as the local service centres can put effort in trying to solve minor problems, it seems to me as though the true knowhow is with the BMW service teams hence keep one as close friends if you want to avoid be sure of not having maintenance issues.
Hi , i have exactly the same issue with my Grenadier , misfire/hiccup under mild acceleration , did you get an exact diagnosis from the engineer , going to take mine back in to workshop but due to head to southern Spain in a few weeks so could do with sorting very soon , any help much appreciated .

Back
Top Bottom