The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Factory rock slider modified into side step

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
You might want to contact RockSlide Engineering to discuss with them about producing a set of their rock rails that also have integrated steps. I have these on my lifted Jeep and my wife (5'2") says they are the best upgrade I have made to the Jeep. It is literally a non-issue for her to get into the Jeep. My biggest concern is that RSE may be unaware of IG and not realize the potential market for their product.
Hi Caveman, There have been multiple forum members including myself who have reached out to them and provided them information about the Grenadier and they told all of us that they are not supporting the Grenadier. DaBull

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I posted the below to a different slider/step discussion in April, but my hope still remains. They're made by N-Fab to fit their sliders, but somebody can/should/will(?) make something similar. I ordered the factory sliders gambling it'll happen. 🤞 BTW, my mom is now 95 and can still climb in and out easily!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm hoping that something like this becomes available. These are $100/pair steps that attach to existing holes in the stock sliders on my FJ Cruiser. Two bolts. Easy on, easy off.

My 94(!) year old mother can climb in and out without any trouble, then when we go to Colorado it's ~5 minutes to take 'em off. Best of both worlds.

Attachments​

• PXL_20230213_165642665.PORTRAIT.JPG
    PXL_20230213_165642665.PORTRAIT.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20230213_165739149.JPG
    PXL_20230213_165739149.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20230213_165918240.PORTRAIT.JPG
    PXL_20230213_165918240.PORTRAIT.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 31

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Caveman, There have been multiple forum members including myself who have reached out to them and provided them information about the Grenadier and they told all of us that they are not supporting the Grenadier. DaBull
Myself included.

Hopefully as they see more on the road and shows in the coming months they will opt to support. I was surprised they has sliders for the G550, how big could that market be?

GrenX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
@DaBull Im now following what your saying and that would certainly be possible. In fact i have the exact setup you describe on my Nissan patrol GQ which are step/sliders that are strong enough to support the full weight of the vehicle. Here is a photo side by side for comparison. Obviously there is a advantage offroad when they are angled up so less likely to get stuck on a rock but thats not really a concern as its not a dedicated rock crawling buggie its a overland touring vehicle. If you got stuck on a rock just winch off and keep on trucking.

Attachments

• IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4301.jpeg
    IMG_4301.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DaBull Im now following what your saying and that would certainly be possible. In fact i have the exact setup you describe on my Nissan patrol GQ which are step/sliders that are strong enough to support the full weight of the vehicle. Here is a photo side by side for comparison. Obviously there is a advantage offroad when they are angled up so less likely to get stuck on a rock but thats not really a concern as its not a dedicated rock crawling buggie its a overland touring vehicle. If you got stuck on a rock just winch off and keep on trucking.
Hi Caveman, Thanks for your continued input and photos. Seeing the two photos side by side is very helpful and your comments about it being fit for overlanding vs rock crawling is on point. I would be interested to know the ground clearance height from the ground to the top of the lower horizontal tube if you have the time. Perhaps you could measure it at the blunt end or the tube to catch an accurate measurement vs having to use a level. That way I would know the step height if I added my mod idea twist to to your mod. Thanks in advance and keep the comments coming. DaBull

GrenX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Caveman, Thanks for your continued input and photos. Seeing the two photos side by side is very helpful and your comments about it being fit for overlanding vs rock crawling is on point. I would be interested to know the ground clearance height from the ground to the top of the lower horizontal tube if you have the time. Perhaps you could measure it at the blunt end or the tube to catch an accurate measurement vs having to use a level. That way I would know the step height if I added my mod idea twist to to your mod. Thanks in advance and keep the comments coming. DaBull
Here are the measurements but keep in mind I have fitted 295 70 17 tires so my car is lifted.

Attachments

• IMG_4311.jpeg
    IMG_4311.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4312.jpeg
    IMG_4312.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 128

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here are the measurements but keep in mind I have fitted 295 70 17 tires so my car is lifted.
Thanks Caveman, Thanks for the photos and measurements and for pointing out the tire mod, I will make the necessary calc change.
DaBull

Robert T

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great ideas for modifying the factory rock sliders. On my LR4 I have rock sliders that have a nerf bar (that's what the manufacturer called them, not sure if this is a universal term) that serve as a step and also protect the side of the vehicle when going around rocks/tree stumps. I was thinking of adding something similar on the factory sliders that protrude out enough for a step. I don't have my vehicle yet so would appreciate the feedback about feasibility from those who have the factory sliders. See attached pic for a crude drawing

Thanks

Attachments

• 1 (12).jpeg
    1 (12).jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 109

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great ideas for modifying the factory rock sliders. On my LR4 I have rock sliders that have a nerf bar (that's what the manufacturer called them, not sure if this is a universal term) that serve as a step and also protect the side of the vehicle when going around rocks/tree stumps. I was thinking of adding something similar on the factory sliders that protrude out enough for a step. I don't have my vehicle yet so would appreciate the feedback about feasibility from those who have the factory sliders. See attached pic for a crude drawing

Thanks
Hi re100516, Here's a modification that @Caveman did for adding a step to his Grenadier Rock Sliders. I like his modification alot. DaBull

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I see you went with 295s versus the 285s mentioned earlier in the thread.
I‘m tossing up between the two at present.
I wonder if you had any thoughts/why you ended up with the wider tyre?

Robert T

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi re100516, Here's a modification that @Caveman did for adding a step to his Grenadier Rock Sliders. I like his modification alot. DaBull
Hi DaBull. I saw the mod by Caveman and like that as well. I was just looking at an option that does not alter the lower bar, which provides a lot of the protection under the sill as AnD3rew pointed out. I think adding the nerf bar on the side would allow for a step and provide additional side protection and not remove any protection from the sill. Once I get my truck it will be easier to see which is the best option. Thanks

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi DaBull. I saw the mod by Caveman and like that as well. I was just looking at an option that does not alter the lower bar, which provides a lot of the protection under the sill as AnD3rew pointed out. I think adding the nerf bar on the side would allow for a step and provide additional side protection and not remove any protection from the sill. Once I get my truck it will be easier to see which is the best option. Thanks
That’s kinda what I was thinking as well, not modify the factory slider tube, but maybe add an additional parallel tube to the outside just to give more space for a “perch” for the toe of your foot to step on. Could add some grip tape to it or maybe add checker plate supported from the two tubes. I don’t have the fabrication tools to do this, just thinking of solutions.

Robert T

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That’s kinda what I was thinking as well, not modify the factory slider tube, but maybe add an additional parallel tube to the outside just to give more space for a “perch” for the toe of your foot to step on. Could add some grip tape to it or maybe add checker plate supported from the two tubes. I don’t have the fabrication tools to do this, just thinking of solutions.
Exactly. The "step" on my LR4 rock sliders is made with square tube and I put grip tape on top. You are in SoCal so check out Tactical4x4 (https://tactical4x4.com/index.php/product/lr3-lr4-rock-sliders/). That's where I got my LR sliders before moving up to WA. They are a small shop and might do some custom work for you. The owner is a very nice guy.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing something similar. When I looked at the sliders, the issue seems to be that the center support (that attaches to the frame) is too short and that sets how far outside the body the sliders (and steps) stick out. The mounting point is on the interior side of the frame rail, it looks like moving it over to the exterior side, you can get about an extra 1" or so with a spacer.

Does anyone know if the nuts at this point are pre welded into the frame? Thx.

Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I had considered getting the stock sliders and zapping some 3/16 steel to the side to add some stepping platform and lateral protection from trees/hi-lift/idiots-in-parking-lots. Thought 1x1.5-2” tube would suit but haven’t measured since I don’t have my truck yet, after cutting out the inner side to make it an appropriately sized U-channel. It would be fun but I think I will probably end up with the buzz overland or the dissent off-road sliders instead.

Back
Top Bottom