The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Rupert's Overlanding Build

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
As I am anxious about the delivery of my Trialmaster tomorrow, I am also contemplating and planning the build. Please feel free to subscribe to my build thread for ideas and the like.

First, as I mentioned I am taking delivery tomorrow of my slate blue Trialmaster with oxford white top. Mods currently planned are the White KNuckle Off Road Sliders. I ultimately went with White Jnuckle as they are a proven commodity for me since I have had them on my Land Cruiser for several years. They are solid, hold up well, and also have an adequate step that my wife doesn't gripe about very much.

I did quite a bit of research on the sliders and was trying to find something that I felt confident would support the weight of the vehicle when crashing over a rock. I reached out to Buzz Overland in the UK. Alex was the first to field my request to order the sliders and advised me of the US Distributor, OK4WD. He was super nice and responded quickly. Later, I requested some detail as to the construction and attachment of the sliders to the vehicle. I was curious and a little concerned asd the pictures I could find did not provide much detail as to the attachment and support of the sliders. Ryan, also a partner at Buzz, jumped in with the following comments and photos. WOW! What perfect detail and response to my question. Take a look at the details and the photos. If you ever had any question on the strength of these sliders, I am sure there wont be any further confusion.

10:38 AM (12 hours ago)
to me, Alex
Hi John,

Our Rock sliders use the same mounting points as the factory rock sliders. So the front and rear plates bolt onto a pad specifically designed to support the weight of the vehicle. The central bracket bolts directly to the chassis rail in the same place the factory sliders do.

All three of the brackets on our sliders also have a central rib welded into them (you can see the slots in the centre of the arm in the photo below, this is welded on the top and bottom of the bracket) to provide further rigidity to any impacts to the underside. You can see this in the photos below along with the welds. On the base plate we run approx. 3” of weld in a hit and miss configuration, so definitely not spot welds. We do this to reduce the amount distortion on the baseplate. Everything else is fully welded including where the bracket attaches to the slider body.

image001.png

In terms of the welding of the upper portion of the steps, are you referring to the slider body? If so, these are fully welded. I don’t have any photos of the top of the slider to hand. In the photo below you can see along the length of the slider body which you’ll be able to see is fully TIG welded.

image002 Large.jpeg

If you have any other questions or would like any more photos please do let me know.

Cheers,

Ryan Thomson

Needless to say, I am super impressed with these sliders and have already placed my order. Additionally, I am working on placing my order for the Bull Bar (factory) from Expedition HQ's in Australia. Shipping is madly expensive but I honestly think it is worth it. Expedition HQ also has some very sun screens for the safari windows I have ordered.

So far, this is the plan in the immediate future. There will be more, so stay tuned.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT ANY AND ALL MODIFICATIONS I MAKE MAY OR MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR YOUR VEHICLE.

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
As I am anxious about the delivery of my Trialmaster tomorrow, I am also contemplating and planning the build. Please feel free to subscribe to my build thread for ideas and the like.

First, as I mentioned I am taking delivery tomorrow of my slate blue Trialmaster with oxford white top. Mods currently planned are the Buzz Overland Step Sliders (ordered from OK4WD in New Jersey). I did quite a bit of research on the sliders and was trying to find something that I felt confident would support the weight of the vehicle when crashing over a rock. I reached out to Buzz Overland in the UK. Alex was the first to field my request to order the sliders and advised me of the US Distributor, OK4WD. He was super nice and responded quickly. Later, I requested some detail as to the construction and attachment of the sliders to the vehicle. I was curious and a little concerned asd the pictures I could find did not provide much detail as to the attachment and support of the sliders. Ryan, also a partner at Buzz, jumped in with the following comments and photos. WOW! What perfect detail and response to my question. Take a look at the details and the photos. If you ever had any question on the strength of these sliders, I am sure there wont be any further confusion.

10:38 AM (12 hours ago)
to me, Alex
Hi John,

Our Rock sliders use the same mounting points as the factory rock sliders. So the front and rear plates bolt onto a pad specifically designed to support the weight of the vehicle. The central bracket bolts directly to the chassis rail in the same place the factory sliders do.

All three of the brackets on our sliders also have a central rib welded into them (you can see the slots in the centre of the arm in the photo below, this is welded on the top and bottom of the bracket) to provide further rigidity to any impacts to the underside. You can see this in the photos below along with the welds. On the base plate we run approx. 3” of weld in a hit and miss configuration, so definitely not spot welds. We do this to reduce the amount distortion on the baseplate. Everything else is fully welded including where the bracket attaches to the slider body.

View attachment 7842322

In terms of the welding of the upper portion of the steps, are you referring to the slider body? If so, these are fully welded. I don’t have any photos of the top of the slider to hand. In the photo below you can see along the length of the slider body which you’ll be able to see is fully TIG welded.

View attachment 7842323

If you have any other questions or would like any more photos please do let me know.

Cheers,

Ryan Thomson

Needless to say, I am super impressed with these sliders and have already placed my order. Additionally, I am working on placing my order for the Bull Bar (factory) from Expedition HQ's in Australia. Shipping is madly expensive but I honestly think it is worth it. Expedition HQ also has some very sun screens for the safari windows I have ordered.

So far, this is the plan in the immediate future. There will be more, so stay tuned.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT ANY AND ALL MODIFICATIONS I MAKE MAY OR MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR YOUR VEHICLE.
Hi Rupert, Congratulations on your soon to be delivered Shale Blue Trialmaster. I just found out yesterday that my Shale Blue Trialmaster is on a ship headed to my port of entry, Port Heneme. Like yourself I am working with Ryan at Buzz Overland on a pair of Rock Sliders for me too. I happened to be at Ineos Grenadier Pasadena a couple days ago and saw 3 Shale Blue Grenadiers. One had a black contrast roof, one a body colored roof like my order and one a Scottish White roof like your build. All looked incredible!
Look forward to seeing your build and Grenadier in the near future. DaBull

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am working on placing my order for the Bull Bar (factory) from Expedition HQ's in Australia. Shipping is madly expensive but I honestly think it is worth it.
High Five Tom Cruise GIF by Hollywood Suite

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Delivered and PROPERLY christened!!
Appropriate. And maybe one of the rare times one should be permitted to dump a perfectly good Guinness. Maybe it needs a touch of France or Austria. Naw.

Congrats on your rig.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Rupert, Congratulations on your soon to be delivered Shale Blue Trialmaster. I just found out yesterday that my Shale Blue Trialmaster is on a ship headed to my port of entry, Port Heneme. Like yourself I am working with Ryan at Buzz Overland on a pair of Rock Sliders for me too. I happened to be at Ineos Grenadier Pasadena a couple days ago and saw 3 Shale Blue Grenadiers. One had a black contrast roof, one a body colored roof like my order and one a Scottish White roof like your build. All looked incredible!
Look forward to seeing your build and Grenadier in the near future. DaBull
Thanks for the kind words!

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nothing to add yet. Parts are on order and unfortuantely coming on the slow boat from AU......stay tuned

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, I was honestly hoping I would be immune from any gremlins.....today 236 miles and now the vehicle will not recognize Apple Car Play. So, I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to get it sorted. Other than this minor item I am thrilled with Rupert! Roadtripping on Thursday for 400 miles, working through the breakin as fast as I can!

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
My CarPlay was working then suddenly locked up and the screen went black…came back on about a half hour later no issues since

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went to the dealership today and he walked through all the steps I did last night to no avail. Then I suddenly had the stroke of genius (not Guiness) to power the phone down, and VOILA! it works again.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I went to the dealership today and he walked through all the steps I did last night to no avail. Then I suddenly had the stroke of genius (not Guiness) to power the phone dowen, and VOILA! it works again.
You might have figured that out quicker BEFORE drinking all those brown beers!

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Congrats on your delivery. I think I ended up restarting my phone after pairing to correct some connection issue and like you, it worked after and ever since without issue.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Quite a bit of rain here at the house last night and pretty much all day. A tiny bit of water rolled down the inside of the large rear door. Couldn't see anything that looked like it would create the leak or impact the seal. I'll keep you posted as I plan to advise the dealer of this issue when I take it for the first service.

Back
Top Bottom