The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Rupert's Overlanding Build

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:51 AM
Reaction score
Dropped Rupert off yesterday for a little plastic surgery. Yep, a little nip and tuck.

10mm Xpel entire front clip and down both sides all the way to the back corner. He will be out of surgery Monday. No gifts please, send Guinness.

Miles

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
Your original post made me smile, as my name is Rupert, the date of your 1st post is my birthday and I have owned a Donny Grey SW 5 seat diesel since August 2023 and have covered 9,000 miles. I love the vehicle, it's not perfect but it has character and is very capable, we have another couple of vehicles but this is always my go to. I hope you enjoy yours!

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Your original post made me smile, as my name is Rupert, the date of your 1st post is my birthday and I have owned a Donny Grey SW 5 seat diesel since August 2023 and have covered 9,000 miles. I love the vehicle, it's not perfect but it has character and is very capable, we have another couple of vehicles but this is always my go to. I hope you enjoy yours!
Hey Miles (Rupert), thanks for the kind words. I named my truck after my Grandad who was named Rupert. I too have a handful of vehicles and right now Rupert is my go to as well. Good luck on the next 90,000 miles and keep in touch.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, didn’t get to the install tonight…Rupert is having Xpel 10mm film installed. Hopefully, install will be tomorrow! Party pic of box!

IMG_6244.jpeg

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s going on tomorrow. I’ll work to be sure I have several photos and good description if anyone else ever needs to install one of the bull bars. I already have the bar attached to my crane, bolts and other parts all laid out and ready!

IMG_6246.jpeg

IMG_6248.jpeg

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I need the hook up. Who do I contact in Australia and about how much is the total cost to get one of these bad boys on the front of my truck? All the cool kids are doing it.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK I spent some time on the bumper today. Without Bruce talking me off the ledge the day would have been much worse.

Firs tthing to do is lay out all the parts and all the tools. I find this helpful to get organized and have everything in one place.

40 and 50 TORX are needed in a 3/8 ratchet configuration. You will allos need a Torque wrench that can measure up to 45 newtons meters. Newtons are the European measurement, Foot Pounds are what we use in the US. You can utilize this converter

https://www.unitconverters.net/energy/ft-lb-to-nm.htm

My torque wrench measures both as It is electronic. Best to send some decent money on a Good Quality torque wrench. Chinese crap is just that. A good one should cost between $175 to $200, measuring ft lbs starting at around 8 lbs.

Next we have to remove a handful of tiny surface screws that are Torx 20 or 30. Remove those ac cordxing to the instructions and set them aside. Next, remove the four inner screws as shown here:

F560486E-7539-4DF1-BA22-6C7C4571C641_1_105_c.jpeg

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Next, above the tow hook on each side, there is a singkle Torx 30 that must be removed. See photo: The silver bolt on this photo is the one that will need to be removed.

AA42ACDC-F951-464B-9E04-2A5924CC5B96_1_105_c.jpeg

Next, and with some guidance from Bruce, I mounted the bumper to the truck using the four inside bolts. The long bolts are the one to use here. These bolts came in the kit and are about 2.5 inches long. I would STRONGLY suggest that ALL bolts be loosely fitted. Take extra caution to thread them by hand initially. I found it very helpful to screw them in first before trying to attach anything. This allows the threads to be cleaned from any loose metal particles that the Chinese are so good at including on their bolts.

92291136-CFDA-4E87-866A-B35714B15C91_1_105_c.jpeg

The bumper is now on with the 4 longer bolts. I used Anti-Seize on all these bolts jst in case.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The next part gets to be a little frustrating, but with some tenacity you will be able to knock it out. Word to the wise, follow Bruce's lead as he installed the two black headed bolts to the bumper first although the instructions suggest attaching the silver bolt first. If you follow Bruce's guidance, then you should have no trouble attaching the silver bolt. See the picture here:

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 11.00.04 PM.png

By attaching the two black screws first screwing ino the bracket, then all that is needed is the washer behind the bracket and then insert the sliver bolt. After that check the torques and then you should be able to insert the rubber caps into the fron of the bumper and you are done!

Last, but not least, feel free to drop me a PM if you have troubles.

Regalz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
Next, above the tow hook on each side, there is a singkle Torx 30 that must be removed. See photo: The silver bolt on this photo is the one that will need to be removed.

View attachment 7845075

Next, and with some guidance from Bruce, I mounted the bumper to the truck using the four inside bolts. The long bolts are the one to use here. These bolts came in the kit and are about 2.5 inches long. I would STRONGLY suggest that ALL bolts be loosely fitted. Take extra caution to thread them by hand initially. I found it very helpful to screw them in first before trying to attach anything. This allows the threads to be cleaned from any loose metal particles that the Chinese are so good at including on their bolts.

View attachment 7845076

The bumper is now on with the 4 longer bolts. I used Anti-Seize on all these bolts jst in case.
Looking good, mine will be here Monday, just cleared customs in Los Angeles 20 minutes ago!

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
Happy to help! Talking through it with you was just the motivation I needed to get that last bolt in my stubborn bracket. Thanks for posting such a detailed guide. Hopefully helps others too although we won't all have such a nicely equipped shop as yours!

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments on the shop. I hope it will help some folks too.

Back
Top Bottom