The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

European Delivery?

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
Getting the cart waaaaaay in front of the horse, but by the time North America sales start do you think there will be a European delivery option? 

I don't think I've seen any mention of being able to 'pick it up from the factory', or did I miss it?

Just thinking out loud.

(That's what it's usually called here in the states. I guess there it's just factory delivery?)

Local time
Reaction score
I also hope for an answer regarding this possibility of picking it up at the factory, rather than waiting for it in Canada.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:39 PM
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score
I understand that the European Delivery Option is still very much on the table, but maybe down the list a bit in terms of being resolved.

Similar picture with factory visits. Hambach has the facilities and used to entertain them in the days of exclusive Smart production.

Monty

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I too inquired when the prototype was I Seattle and heard it was ‘being considered’ I am very keen on the European delivery option.

Local time
Reaction score
I would LOVE to get an EU delivery then bring it to PR after gallivanting about Europe. Maybe I could slip in a diesel thru Puerto Rico customs?!

Local time
Reaction score
I talked with an Ineos rep at the Overland Expo in Colorado last month, and he said that European delivery was still on the table for North American customers. He also said that it is not high up on their priority list, and that they are more focused on trying to deliver vehicles to North American customers in North America "on-time" - meaning vehicles arriving during calendar year 2023. He also mentioned that it took BMW a pretty long time to work out all the details with their European delivery program when they first launched it; in other words - don't hold your breath. I would most likely take delivery in Europe if it were an option - depending on the timing of the delivery.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:39 PM
Reaction score
> I would most likely take delivery in Europe if it were an option

But how would you bring it to America? Container?

Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score

They should model after the Volvo Euro delivery. Volvo pays to fly you R/T and shipping the car. All this and it is cheaper for US customers and for the Swiss company. Something about tax and export laws. It is similar to long term (2+ weeks) 'renting' a car in France. The car company 'sells' you the car, you drive it around for weeks and then you 'sell' it back to them minus the rental term. Another tax dodge. Has something to do with us being foreigners.

Local time
Reaction score

For the record, Audi ended European delivery for North American customers in 2018, and BMW ended it in 2020. But here is a link that explains how BMW's program used to work:

Many people extended the insurance in Europe beyond the 14-day free insurance provided by BMW, and toured the continent. Back in 2008 when I looked into it, you saved about $2,500 off the sticker price by taking European delivery. You would end up spending that money in the course of a European holiday, and then you had to wait for the car to be delivered to the U.S., then you had to arrange to pick-up your car at a port, or have it delivered by train from the coast to where you live. There were certainly inconveniences, but touring Europe in a brand new vehicle - likely of higher quality than one would rent if one were visiting - looked like a lot of fun.

Local time
Reaction score
I also hope for an answer regarding this possibility of picking it up at the factory, rather than waiting for it in Canada.
Pick up would be one thing, importing another. That would be my concern. You'd definately want a pre-authorization before going there.

At this point I think you'd need a 'special circumstances' exemption - the imported vehicle bought 'new' and certified to meet Canadian standards, presumably from the mfr.

'New', meaning I imagine if it had been registered to drive in another country first, (other that USA or MX), you'd be out of luck.

Naturally IG will need to certify to sell/import into Canada. But will they do that early for the few who might follow through on an overseas pick up ? IDK, what I've read on here about their CS so far makes me doubtful.

I think this lack of market specific certification might have been brought up in another tread (talking about lack of consumer versions to street drive). I lost the plot on that tread so could be wrong...

Back
Top Bottom