The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Hard'ish way home..... what if we had one here...

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
Apparently Lyle Pearson Ineos is already scouting....

1699929268760.png

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
Am I the only one who does not know what BDR means?? Come on, guys...

Years back I led a few multi day off road adventures for the So CA Landrover Club, and attended many others. I also led some 4x4 Sportsmobile and Sprinter van trips thru Death Valley and vicinity. I'd do it again for us.....I also know many wonderful locations in Southern Utah.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have no need to be guided by a motorcycle website to find fun routes to overland. Been doing it for decades. I'm sure I know way more great routes than that site can provide.

Chelsea Tractor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The BDR routes are really interesting. Do we have any more ideas or suggestions for the eastern half of the continent?
There is an eastern half BDR - the Mid-Atlantic route see link:
Agree that BDRs are a good option especially as trail conditions are regularly updated. Camp sites, food, gas options are clearly defined. Also they have by-pass options for those not experienced / comfortable taking the difficult sections.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here, would like a few hundred miles to gently break my truck in before attacking anything serious. Might sound nerdish, but going full bore out of the gate doesn’t seem like a good idea if I’m honest.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here, would like a few hundred miles to gently break my truck in before attacking anything serious. Might sound nerdish, but going full bore out of the gate doesn’t seem like a good idea if I’m honest.
Its valid - especially given how widely distributed dealerships are. It is mildly concerning that we are weeks away from taking delivery of new vehicles and have so few service centers identified.

As I start sketching out my cross country route - I'm inclined to drive in the general direction of Ineos dealerships along the way.

This would be much easier if the promised Bosch service network was better understood. Interestingly, the UK site indicates the availability of a GLOBAL agreement with Bosch, as well as the 'Flying Spanners', which are not mentioned on the US site.

I'll have AAA in addition to whatever "experienced roadside assistance partners" Ineos has on offer.

I've got a chat conversation going on currently, to find out whether or not US consumers have access to this global contract with Bosch, as well as who the roadside assistance partner is in the US.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Its valid - especially given how widely distributed dealerships are. It is mildly concerning that we are weeks away from taking delivery of new vehicles and have so few service centers identified.

As I start sketching out my cross country route - I'm inclined to drive in the general direction of Ineos dealerships along the way.

This would be much easier if the promised Bosch service network was better understood. Interestingly, the UK site indicates the availability of a GLOBAL agreement with Bosch, as well as the 'Flying Spanners', which are not mentioned on the US site.

I'll have AAA in addition to whatever "experienced roadside assistance partners" Ineos has on offer.

I've got a chat conversation going on currently, to find out whether or not US consumers have access to this global contract with Bosch, as well as who the roadside assistance partner is in the US.
The list of things that could actually cripple the vehicle and render it undriveable is quite small, so I wouldn't feel the need to be near dealers at all times. Besides, if we were to do a hard way home of sorts stateside, I'm fairly confident it would have the same sort of Ineos support that the original had, which, to put it in a word, was substantial.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Besides, if we were to do a hard way home of sorts stateside, I'm fairly confident it would have the same sort of Ineos support that the original had, which, to put it in a word, was substantial.
I don't share your confidence regarding factory support for a US "Hard way home". That strikes me as a one time marketing expenditure for a new product launch. Any other efforts appear to be local dealership initiatives, and largely disconnected from Ineos Corporate efforts.

I don't doubt that Ineos USA will undertake some level of promotional activities, including owner driving events, I'm certainly looking forward to them in the future.

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The BDR’s generally aren’t “serious” outside some short sections that can be avoided. Section 5-1 of the original Oregon BDR’s is a great example of that. Mostly nice logging roads that offer amazing views, fantastic dispersed camp sites, and logistical support not too far off if needed. But nothing that would mechanically threaten the IG. I’d consider something like the Rubicon to threaten the IG haha. The BDR’s don’t have any of that that I am aware. Especially the routes on ridebdr.com. Those are setup for two wheels anyway. They barely acknowledge four-wheeled folk haha.

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have no need to be guided by a motorcycle website to find fun routes to overland. Been doing it for decades. I'm sure I know way more great routes than that site can provide.
Have you done those BDR routes that you could expand on how you know way more great routes than that site can provide? Can you share your GPX or KML’s of your better routes? I’m planning for next year and need some options. TIA!

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have you done those BDR routes that you could expand on how you know way more great routes than that site can provide? Can you share your GPX or KML’s of your better routes? I’m planning for next year and need some options. TIA!
I've ordered the MA BDR paper maps and intend to make a go of it once I get back to the east coast w/my Grenadier. They regularly update the routes and the online videos do a good a job of letting you know what to expect. I find it quite admirable that they publish the routes and if I had more time in the PNW, I'd be doing some of those routes as well.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've ordered the MA BDR paper maps and intend to make a go of it once I get back to the east coast w/my Grenadier. They regularly update the routes and the online videos do a good a job of letting you know what to expect. I find it quite admirable that they publish the routes and if I had more time in the PNW, I'd be doing some of those routes as well.
MA BDR is the mildest of them all and a nice relaxing route for the most part (barring serious rain or snow, pretty much the entirety can be done in a stock SUV in 2WD); it is a great ride through the countryside though with some awesome views

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did a couple sections of the original Oregon BDR’s over the last couple years, and they are amazing. Doing Washington next year. Ride BDR just published their Oregon route and it’s nothing like the original five routes, which is great because you get to experience even more of the state. I’d take an IG group through 5-1 in a heartbeat.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
In 40 years of four wheeling throughout the west, I've done dozens of dozens of nice routes. I can't remember them all and have not documented them in any way other than some scribbling on a map. Most were before anything like KML or GPX existed. Primarily in eastern California, the Mojave desert, Death Valley, southern Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona. If there's an area that interests you, I'm happy to chat about it with you. I'm not claiming to know everything, but since I've stopped to think about it, they have sure added up. In fact, I'm leaving this afternoon to explore some old mining roads that lead to an historic tramway that brought salt out of the Saline Valley over the Inyo Mountains and down to the narrow gauge railroad near Keeler, CA. Last time I was there was 22 years ago! The railroad shut down in 1959.

Boise

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
Apparently Lyle Pearson Ineos is already scouting....

View attachment 7832578
We are offering all of our clients that want it, a Hard Way Home handover. We will have a few different options to be able to tailor it around the customer. This location here in the photos will make for a scenic and adventurous handover.

Back
Top Bottom