The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Seating position.... Is there anyone 6'-4" plus having comfort issues?

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Ok, my order is due in April, so drove 4.5 hrs to test drive one. It's exciting but...

I had difficulty with the seating position.

1) I think the lack of even a manual lumbar adjustment was a miss. I'm tall and the typical factory setting is always a bit low which it is.

2) If I adjusted the seat height to put some weight on my thighs, I had a difficult time seeing the traffic lights. If I lower it to its lowest setting, much my weight was on my bum bones on a stiff pad, and the wheel didn't really lower to match. An adjustable thigh support would rectify that, but, there isn't one of those either.

One of the worst aspects of my '93 NAS was the inability to adjust seating for anyone that wasn't 5'4' to 5'-10"... A long drive was fatiguing. Is anyone else noticing this, or is it just me?

Reactions: Max

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m 6’4” and perfectly comfortable. I think I have the seat set mid-point between high/low. I never really gave it much thought beyond the forward/back position, seatback angle and wheel position. I find the seating is in no way fatiguing, quite the opposite.

Driving home last Saturday, through Philly outskirts, I did lean forward for a couple traffic lights, but not for every one. I’m used to driving D1, RRC and Series LR’s.

Reactions: Max

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m 6’4” and perfectly comfortable. I think I have the seat set mid-point between high/low. I never really gave it much thought beyond the forward/back position, seatback angle and wheel position. I find the seating is in no way fatiguing, quite the opposite.

Driving home last Saturday, through Philly outskirts, I did lean forward for a couple traffic lights, but not for every one. I’m used to driving D1, RRC and Series LR’s.
Same for me. I have the seat higher and more upright than any other vehicles I have owned and I find that it is very comfortable to drive the Grenadier this way.

slukell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
I'm 197cm (I believe just shy of 6'6") and don't find it uncomfortable at all. Maybe I'm just used to having to "fit in" given my size..
The ultimate test for me was driving from Sydney to Melbourne the other day (~900km / ~560 miles) with two stops for lunch and a coffee. I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable I found it. Sure, I have to sometimes duck to see the traffic lights and I have to stretch my lower back every hour or so, but this is nothing new to me. The infamous left foot "hump" doesn't bother me at all, probably because I'm used to pulling my left foot back anyway (when not working the clutch pedal). The only real discomfort for me is that my (rather big) right thigh sometimes ends up pushing against the right edge of the seat. I can manage this fine by moving slightly to the left, and I'm pretty sure that edge will soften up over time anyway.

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
In my test drive I struggled with a bulgy area in the upper back going straight between my lower shoulders and feeling uncomfortable. Perhaps if the seat wore in with me as the driver it would be better. Other than that the Grenadier I find to be really tall friendly.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
I'm 5'10 and it's a tough gig driving anything over 1 hour due to the same issues you explain so it could be a general ergonomic issue that affects one person and not the next. We also have a big footrest to contend with in RHD types and that is harsh for the primary driver for discomfort - in my view.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
2) If I adjusted the seat height to put some weight on my thighs, I had a difficult time seeing the traffic lights.

At an easy 6'3" I haven't seen a traffic light while sitting comfortably in years. I have to hunch over the wheel and crane my neck upward to see them. Doesn't seem to matter what vehicle I'm in other than maybe older single cab American pick ups.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
At 6'2" I have the seat at the lowest setting and back just a bit, elbows still with a slight bend. I find that I can stretch my left foot out on the foot rest comfortable and have a slight bend in my right leg. It's more dependent on what shoes I'm wearing than anything else. I find this gives me the most lower leg support. Seats and position for me make it one of the most comfortable vehicles I've been in for a while. I drive fairly upright as well, and have the same issue with seeing traffic lights (as with many other cars I've been in).

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m about 6’4” or just over (194cm) and find it really comfortable, no issues at all. I have the seat quite high up though and fairly upright - it’s just the driving position that suits me. Footwell hump is not a problem, loads of knee rooom, perfect height to rest my arm on door, can see both front corners.

I’ve been daily driving a van for the last 4 years though so probably developed that driving position by driving that. It feels very natural and I can drive all day without any discomfort.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is really interesting, taller people seem to find it more comfortable, it’s usually the opposite!

Safety boots, wellys, trainers, smart shoes, whatever, doesn’t seem to have any effect on comfort for me.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m about 6’4” or just over (194cm) and find it really comfortable, no issues at all. I have the seat quite high up though and fairly upright - it’s just the driving position that suits me. Footwell hump is not a problem, loads of knee rooom, perfect height to rest my arm on door, can see both front corners.

I’ve been daily driving a van for the last 4 years though so probably developed that driving position by driving that. It feels very natural and I can drive all day without any discomfort.
Your head must be hitting the roof???... im 177cm and with the seat upright and high, I physically cannot see out the driver's window without ducking!!! Is your seat all the way back though?

Local time
Reaction score
At an easy 6'3" I haven't seen a traffic light while sitting comfortably in years. I have to hunch over the wheel and crane my neck upward to see them. Doesn't seem to matter what vehicle I'm in other than maybe older single cab American pick ups.
I drive an f150, f350, lx470, fj40, fj60, Gwagon and an mgbgt. The f350 has sucky seats, but the others are serviceable and I can see traffic lights. This one reminds me of the 110NAS with the sight line/seat height difficulties.

I emailed Recaro and Scheel Mann to see if they had drop in replacements with actual adjustments. I also ordered a dash cam with view screen to test if it works as a digital periscope. :)

Local time
Reaction score

It actually received good reports from a HotRod site from guys that shaved their roof down or used visors. It seems simpler than the glass ones that I would have to adapt to a suction mount, and many of those had poor reports as the new stuff is crap. I'll report back. It may solve most of my issues.

Local time
Reaction score
Your head must be hitting the roof???... im 177cm and with the seat upright and high, I physically cannot see out the driver's window without ducking!!! Is your seat all the way back though?
Me too. I'm 193. 91.5 inseam. proper set height puts me too high.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
I’m 6’4 (193) 44” chest and I fit. I wouldn’t want to be any bigger as the seat is back at max and down as low as it goes. My head does not hit the roof and I find the seating and vision comfortable. I have the Safari roof option. But my head is slightly behind the back of that so it’s not giving me extra headroom probably reducing it a fraction with the frame.

I’ve never seen traffic lights in any of my cars and the Grenadier is no different. Cars include Germans and American: BMW M235i conv, Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015, Jeep Cherokee 2005, BMWiX1, BMW Z4, Audi TT Quattro, Chrysler Crossfire conv was the worst - scooped out the seat to min comfort and still head hit the roof support bar on bumps and no visibility of signals.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
When I was a kid the traffic lights were mostly on poles at the side of the road with a few major intersections having poles with arms reaching out a lane. They weren't that tall. Now you can fly a plane under some of these things.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I was a kid the traffic lights were mostly on poles at the side of the road with a few major intersections having poles with arms reaching out a lane. They weren't that tall. Now you can fly a plane under some of these things.
Lol. I hear you. Apparently we have to accommodate the dumbest of the dumb:

Back
Top Bottom