The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Electronic Throttle Control

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
Hi @Cheshire cat

#2 would win me over. That hesitation to move off quickly again after stopping is tedious. Not sure if it is diesel specific or if the transmission ECU is involved because sometimes there appears to be a lag while 1st gear is selected.

Have you noticed any difference in reverse? Reversing up my shallow incline driveway is weird and especially if I have my camper attached. In reverse the trans feels like it has a high stall torque converter. A lot more revs to get a response. It might be deliberate tuning to increase the starting torque in reverse gear. Quite noticeable.
Will find a hill and give it a go in reverse. Can’t say to date that I ever noticed any issues in reverse but not really exposed to that situation.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
So would fitment of a throttle controller affect Ineos warranty like say a tune or remap would?
Asking for a friend.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So would fitment of a throttle controller affect Ineos warranty like say a tune or remap would?
Asking for a friend.
I can’t see how but for the best technical explanation, contact one of the manufacturers producing them.
As I understand, they leave no footprint on the ECU or anywhere else. Removal if required, would likely be less than 15 mins.
No doubt any vehicle manufacturer would look for any excuse in the event of a warranty claim, especially if expensive. From my research I can see no downsides.

Reactions: PBD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Asking for a friend.
From one source
"

Will Fitting a Throttle Controller Void my New Car Warranty?​

Good question. Frankly, there is no simple and absolute answer to this question. With that said, there are a few things to consider when pondering the warranty implications of fitting a throttle controller to your new or near new vehicle. Firstly, since a throttle controller only modifies the signal travelling from your right foot to the ECU and nothing else, it seems reasonable to conclude a throttle controller would be unable to any damage or cause any sort of undue wear you couldn’t otherwise do with your right foot. On the other hand, an argument could be mounted that altering the factory throttle response, which has been tuned by the manufacturer to yield what it determines to be a reasonable compromise between performance, emissions, comfort, NVH and mechanical stresses the driveline are subjected to, that you could increase the loads experienced by the driveline. Accordingly, and considering a throttle controller can be easily installed and subsequently removed without making any modifications to your vehicle, it may be worthwhile removing a throttle controller prior to returning your vehicle to the dealer for service or warranty reasons."

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Asking for a friend.
Probably not, unless INEOS can prove it caused the problem. But I will install mine after the warranty work is done, to stop even the suggestion.

It is easy to install and remove these devices. You could also set it to Factory mode and hide the controller and they will not even know unless they go looking. Factory Mode uses the factory settings.

These devices only change the throttle response, they do not change the tune, timing, injectors, air/fuel mix or anything else. They are pretty safe. That said I never used Race Mode in the Patrol because throttle response was plain crazy.

I customised the settings in the Patrol so its throttle response was more like a large car, than a commercial vehicle.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm going more for the dampened response under certain conditions ; the stock petrol Grenadier has plenty of get up and go .
Start with Eco Mode and it should allow you to customise from their. Eco Mode dials down throttle response, even with a lead foot.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Start with Eco Mode and it should allow you to customise from their. Eco Mode dials down throttle response, even with a lead foot.
That's the plan. I'm on a small hilly acreage so can experiement with and without the van.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For me, it"s just that first 5 seconds or so after take off. To get anything remotely considered smooth, you either have to take off like your great grandma would, or punch it in the guts. anything in between and it lurches away in first but then wants to get to 5th / 6th gear as soon as it can like it has to be in 4th before 40km/h, 5th before 50km/hr etc. once it's away then it drives well in traffic.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
For me, it"s just that first 5 seconds or so after take off. To get anything remotely considered smooth, you either have to take off like your great grandma would, or punch it in the guts. anything in between and it lurches away in first but then wants to get to 5th / 6th gear as soon as it can like it has to be in 4th before 40km/h, 5th before 50km/hr etc. once it's away then it drives well in traffic.
Aye but the petrol one goes OK!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Received my unit. Getting the factory plug off is the biggest frigging PITA! They installed this and then built the vehicle around it. Have a look for yourself!
No doubt there is a short angled factory tool ( same ends as fuse pulling pliers which I nearly took my grinder to) but without the special tool you may end up in the same gnashing teeth frame of mind I was in.
Anyway, never give up.
We've driven down to our holiday home and in Ultimate mode it is perkier.
Later I'll test other modes.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Received my unit. Getting the factory plug off is the biggest frigging PITA! They installed this and then built the vehicle around it. Have a look for yourself!
No doubt there is a short angled factory tool ( same ends as fuse pulling pliers which I nearly took my grinder to) but without the special tool you may end up in the same gnashing teeth frame of mind I was in.
Anyway, never give up.
We've driven down to our holiday home and in Ultimate mode it is perkier.
Later I'll test other modes.
Exactly the same experience for me. I found that use of a small screwdriver helped me pry the plug off as I pressed the locking tabs. Not easy.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly the same experience for me. I found that use of a small screwdriver helped me pry the plug off as I pressed the locking tabs. Not easy.
I managed to get the bottom tab just off the socket then tried various tools to hold/ pry the top tab down. Once I could see with my dental mirror both were down with no tools I gave it a pry with finger and screwdriver.
I had to go inside and unpack my troubled mental state for a couple of minutes!
Oh and I contemplated dremelling the plastic overlying the plug for a better view

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I managed to get the bottom tab just off the socket then tried various tools to hold/ pry the top tab down. Once I could see with my dental mirror both were down with no tools I gave it a pry with finger and screwdriver.
I had to go inside and unpack my troubled mental state for a couple of minutes!
Oh and I contemplated dremelling the plastic overlying the plug for a better view
My experience exactly. I had to walk away, take a cup of coffee, and then think "What would the dealer do while charging me over £100.00 per hour"? That motivated me enough to accomplish the task.

Back
Top Bottom