The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Electronic Throttle Control

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
My plan is to use it also for "entertainment" I.e. to mess with my son's head when he's driving it and I'm in the passenger seat via surreptitious use of the phone app.. :devilish:
Don't trigger anti-slip when he's overtaking. Just don't!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For those of us who are mechanically/ electrically inept, would this be an hours work by a auto lecy?

Installation I meant, not putting it in anti-slip. 😉
@bigleonski :According to the pundits, it's a simple install for the DIY.. 10 mins and a couple of mins to connect to the relevant app. It's 'plug n play ' with this particular version on the Grenadier.
There are numerous vids on YouTube on how to install and adjust. 😉

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Cado is always right never wrong and wears a oversized watch.
Has a few fanboys.
@bigleonski the device is unplug>plug
It adjusts the friskiness of your ironhorse.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For those of us who are mechanically/ electrically inept, would this be an hours work by a auto lecy?

Installation I meant, not putting it in anti-slip. 😉
Hey @bigleonski

I installed my EVCx X401 today. I was resisting using a throttle controller but that throttle lag just off idle got the better of me.
I would consider it a fiddly task but not especially technical. It really is plug and play.
Here's what I suggest:
  • Leave the vehicle off for 15 mins to ensure it has powered down.
  • Floor liner out.
  • Sill trim cover off.
  • RH kick panel out.
  • RH dash corner out.
  • Remove the pedal from the floor (single screw then slide the pedal back and up)
  • Rotate the pedal to access the plug. Plug is PITA tight. If you have sausage fingers you may struggle getting onto the clips. Squeeze both short sides of the plug to release. See pic.
  • Plug the harness in. Only goes one way. Click into place.
  • Run the USB C interface cable to your preferred location. Connect the controller. Leave it loose until you know it's all working.
  • Start the vehicle. Follow the instructions to sync the App and controller.
  • Once all appears to be ok (controller is registered and no vehicle errors), turn off the vehicle and tidy up the harness and wiring. Mount the controller. I used some fleece tape around the interface unit to stop any rattles against the floor.
  • Refit everything.
I haven't had a drive on the road yet but I set my controller at Ultimate 4 for starters and did notice the pedal is more responsive while parking back in the garage🤞

I'm just up the hill from you so yell out if you want some assistance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_051320155.jpg
    PXL_20240414_051320155.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20240414_051340349.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240414_051340349.MP.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20240414_052818356.jpg
    PXL_20240414_052818356.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20240414_055904052.jpg
    PXL_20240414_055904052.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20240414_061715428.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240414_061715428.MP.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20240414_051619409.jpg
    PXL_20240414_051619409.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Clark Kent now you can see how the struggle is real...especially if you don't remove anything!
My fingers have taken a few days to recover.
But IMO it's money well spent...esp with that deal
Based on your earlier comments that the plug was a be-atch to get off I went ahead and cleared the path. I pulled out more shite than was necessary for the exercise but I wanted to get some pix for this crowd-sourced workshop manual project we're all building 🧑‍🔧

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
So
Glad to see this thread gain some traction. For me, the B57 always felt a little stifled. Not anymore.
Is there a uk link for purchase I keep getting aus link.

Reactions: PBD

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
So

I recently bought the Pedalbox Pro, which due to personal problems I have not yet been able to assemble, and as I said a little above, I asked the CEO in Spain the possibility of them making a suitable offer for the members of the forum, they informed me yesterday that they were interested and that on Monday they would send me an offer, when they do so I will put the link here. Greetings Paco

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So

The manufacturer of the EVCx X401 is Ultimate 9 based in Melbourne, Australia. The website notes complimentary international shipping via DHL. You could contact them to ask if they have a UK distributor.
They also have a US operation based in Houston, Tx.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I find if I need to get away quickly to break into traffic I use my left foot on the brake pedal and my right on the accelerator.
Build the revs up a bit so the turbo spools up.
Works well on aircraft so why not on a Grenadier
Cost = $0
Installation time = 0 hours and 0 minutes.
Takes off like a rocket.

It's usually followed by wife saying words to the effect of "really--was that necessary---grow up"

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I find if I need to get away quickly to break into traffic I use my left foot on the brake pedal and my right on the accelerator.
Build the revs up a bit so the turbo spools up.
Works well on aircraft so why not on a Grenadier
Cost = $0
Installation time = 0 hours and 0 minutes.
Takes off like a rocket.

It's usually followed by wife saying words to the effect of "really--was that necessary---grow up"

Something like this?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is not worth the risk of fitting fit it on a new vehicle based on that video - whether Mazda is right or wrong. It is not worth the grief.

Injector failures is a known issue with that model Ranger/BT50.

I have not fitted mine and was not going to do so early on. I am always careful in the first 2-3 years what I do to the car.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is not worth the risk of fitting fit it on a new vehicle based on that video - whether Mazda is right or wrong. It is not worth the grief.

Injector failures is a known issue with that model Ranger/BT50.

have not fitted mine and was not going to do so early on. I am always careful in the first 2-3 years what I do to the car.
My Mazda BT50 had a crank sensor failure and the first thing they did was check over the vehicle for any signs of modifications, particularly to the engine management system.
I had to put in writing that I had not done any mods.
1713159415617.jpg

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Mazda BT50 had a crank sensor failure and the first thing they did was check over the vehicle for any signs of modifications, particularly to the engine management system.
I had to put in writing that I had not done any mods.
View attachment 7852993
Looking for excuses so they could avoid paying for a known failure. But I have seen people blow their motor (on a WRX) due to massive increase in turbo PSI for performance, then restore it to stock and defraud the car maker.

I made no engine mods or exhaust changes on the Patrol. I added 3 Autron gauges (now Redarc) so I could monitor engine performance in real time (the gauges monitored 9 things like EGT, turbo boost, oil temp, oil pressure, main battery voltage, aux battery charging amps, etc). After the warranty expired I added an electronic throttle controller - that was it.

The Autron gauges allowed me to head off any issues before they became problems - prevention is better than a cure. One reason I may install a Redarc gauge for EGT and Turbo boost on the Grenadier - unless we get them on the Infotainment unit.

Last edited:

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey @bigleonski

I installed my EVCx X401 today. I was resisting using a throttle controller but that throttle lag just off idle got the better of me.
I would consider it a fiddly task but not especially technical. It really is plug and play.

I haven't had a drive on the road yet but I set my controller at Ultimate 4 for starters and did notice the pedal is more responsive while parking back in the garage🤞
So, first drive today. Many metaphores come to mind but @Tazzieman nailed it: 'It adjusts the friskiness of your ironhorse.'

I would describe the difference by saying that it feels like my vehicle suddenly lost a heap of weight. The increased response to the pedal makes the vehicle feel more responsive and enjoyable to drive.
It's not a violent action, depending on the setting used it's just more urge felt earlier. It is not putting any more fuel or boost into your engine that the ECU already permits. It's just modifying the timing and value sent from the accelerator pedal to the throttle table stored in the ECU.
It changes the driving experience, not the vehicle performance. You can extract the same amount of power using just your foot.

That annoying, esp. diesel, flatspot above idle is gone. That's an ECU/electronic throttle artifact that is present in most modern vehicles to some degree because there is a host of sensors and an ECU full of lookup tables debating and voting when and how far to 'open the throttle'. Apparent throttle lag is a function of how fast 'the management committee' can reach consensus of how much fuel to add, plus boost pressure, fuel pump/rail pressure, ignition, injection and camshaft timing and many other things, but this is an oversimplified explanation solely for this purpose. Don't fight me over it. Not forgetting you can also soften the throttle response rate in anti-slip mode for soft or loose surfaces. Clever stuff.

Thanks to those crazy risk-taking forum members who spent went first (y)

Australia website with free domestic and international shipping: https://www.ultimate9.co/au/
USA (Houston): https://www.ultimate9.co/
Model Ultimate 9 evcX Model X401
For Australian customers it's currently on sale here for A$268.73 with free delivery.

Back
Top Bottom