The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Dumb question: why is it a Trialmaster and not a Trailmaster?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody know why is it named Trialmaster Edition rather than a Trailmaster Edition? When a trial is normally a court process and a trail is something you explore.

Trailmaster makes more sense when the other model is a Fieldmaster Edition

Perhaps all that litigation by Land Rover influenced the name?

Last edited:

prjenns

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Does anybody know why it is named Trialmaster rather than a Trailmaster? When a trial is normally a court process and a trail is something you explore.

Trailmaster makes more sense when the other model is a Fieldmaster.

Perhaps all that litigation by Land Rover influenced the name.
I believe it comes from their Belstaff "motorcycle trials" jacket so its a legacy thing rather than a Grenadier relevant theme. But yes, we all call it trail in error!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody know why is it named Trialmaster Edition rather than a Trailmaster Edition? When a trial is normally a court process and a trail is something you explore.

Trailmaster makes more sense when the other model is a Fieldmaster Edition

Perhaps all that litigation by Land Rover influenced the name.
It comes from their Trialmaster jackets that are also owned by Ineos. The trialmaster was a motorcycle jacket designed for the motorcycle trialling scene back in the 1950s I think.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
I can't find the thread but there was a long discussion around the six-day trials event in Scotland that inspired the jacket.

jamgolf

Forum Supporter
Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
It feels like a misguided choice, at least to me. The context is so local and narrow that it’s completely lost on most people unaware of the company that makes these jackets or whatever they do.

Trail-master would have conveyed the purpose of the vehicle very clearly just like Jeep’s Trail Rated badge.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It feels like a misguided choice, at least to me. The context is so local and narrow that it’s completely lost on most people unaware of the company that makes these jackets or whatever they do.

Trail-master would have conveyed the purpose of the vehicle very clearly just like Jeep’s Trail Rated badge.
Belstaff jackets are known worldwide by the biking fraternity and now known worldwide for their fashion range just behind Barbour in wax cotton wear. The exception to world wide is probably the USA where protective rain proof wax cotton I don't think really caught on

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
Belstaff jackets are known worldwide by the biking fraternity and now known worldwide for their fashion range just behind Barbour in wax cotton wear. The exception to world wide is probably the USA where protective rain proof wax cotton I don't think really caught on
I never heard of these jackets before being interested in the Grenadier, and to be honest, I would prefer a slightly cheaper purchase price of my Grenadier instead of a "free" Trialmaster Belstaff, so that I can choose a jacket that I like!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I never heard of these jackets before being interested in the Grenadier, and to be honest, I would prefer a slightly cheaper purchase price of my Grenadier instead of a "free" Trialmaster Belstaff, so that I can choose a jacket that I like!
I have to be careful of my words here @Jean Mercier. I thought from recollection that the trading position of Belstaff was not as good as it might be. And IMHO it is a gimmick to refresh the Belstaff brand. Obviously the base manufacture cost of a jacket would not have much impact on the price of the vehicle. If you look on the internet you can get a Fieldmaster jacket at considerable less than the manufacturers list price.

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Yeah, the Six Day Trials (ISDT) used to be a big thing. Sort of like Dakar before Dakar?

Also, it feels a little mean to dealers and sales people, in the same way Porsche is messing with them with their naming conventions now. When a customer comes in and says Trialmaster, or Panamerica, or Maycan, or... do you smile and keep trying for that sale? Or do you correct them and hope they don't get offended?

Wait... did I just express a tiny bit of sympathy for a car salesman? 😲 Sorry. Need more coffee. 😁

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
When I was young, and motorcyclist, Sammy Miller was the hero of trial championship, wellknown around the World. Onviously, saying 'wellknown around the World' ha a meaning very different from now, Wit ecception of Pelé for countries interested in soccer, or John Weissmuller during the Olympics, the lack of media globalization produced a particular kind of notoriety. If we want to believe that investing a billion pounds in a niche adventure, among colossal opponents, has a lot to do with nostalgia and with the pleasure of giving emotional value to one's unlimited money (better if earning money as well...), Sammy Miller Era, BSA Gold Star, corduroy trousers and tweed jackets are part of this ethos. I could add Norton Manx or MV Agusta, but we would enter another context. There is elegance in all of this and I don't think more than ten thousand people would argue on a forum for a long time without any of them still having the subject of the discussion at home.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I was young, and motorcyclist, Sammy Miller was the hero of trial championship, wellknown around the World. Onviously, saying 'wellknown around the World' ha a meaning very different from now, Wit ecception of Pelé for countries interested in soccer, or John Weissmuller during the Olympics, the lack of media globalization produced a particular kind of notoriety. If we want to believe that investing a billion pounds in a niche adventure, among colossal opponents, has a lot to do with nostalgia and with the pleasure of giving emotional value to one's unlimited money (better if earning money as well...), Sammy Miller Era, BSA Gold Star, corduroy trousers and tweed jackets are part of this ethos. I could add Norton Manx or MV Agusta, but we would enter another context. There is elegance in all of this and I don't think more than ten thousand people would argue on a forum for a long time without any of them still having the subject of the discussion at home.
Speaking of nostalgia, and going completely off thread have you seen and what do you reckon of the new BSA Gold Star. Modern replica, I'm smitten and may just buy one despite my age

Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score

Not being confused with (or tripping over the trademark of) a Trailhawk is reason enough. Trialmaster is a defensible mark. Plus, it’s much better than the Probe, Swinger, or Guppy.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I would have never guessed.

Reactions: PBD

Del

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
Trial is an old name given in this context to a sporting challenge.

In the dog world we have field trials - the ultimate test for working dogs etc.

In the UK we have sporting car trials - check it out it’s great fun.

In academia it may be described as the action or process of trying or putting to the proof - test.

Back
Top Bottom