The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Dumb question: why is it a Trialmaster and not a Trailmaster?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
Reading this thread has put a big smile on my face.

so does anyone know why the other model is a Fieldmaster ?

Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
Reading this thread has put a big smile on my face.

so does anyone know why the other model is a Fieldmaster ?

Named after the Fieldmaster jacket, which is a classic chore coat style. Tough enough for farm work, stylish enough to go into town with it.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
Not a good choice as it'll be forever spelt wrong, and triggers my OCD. 🙃 😉

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
Belstaff jackets are known worldwide by the biking fraternity and now known worldwide for their fashion range just behind Barbour in wax cotton wear. The exception to world wide is probably the USA where protective rain proof wax cotton I don't think really caught on

Depends on which part of the country you live in.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score

I’m a Barbour chap myself. Go to the factory shop in South Shields and you can get some of the non production variants if you want something unique.

Love a good waxed jacket.

Hopefully I’ll be lucky enough to get one with a Grenadier here in North America

Speaking of the automotive events. The idea of an off-road hill climb sounds like music to my ears.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m a Barbour chap myself. Go to the factory shop in South Shields and you can get some of the non production variants if you want something unique.

Love a good waxed jacket.

Hopefully I’ll be lucky enough to get one with a Grenadier here in North America

Speaking of the automotive events. The idea of an off-road hill climb sounds like music to my ears.
For Australian’s Driza Bone would be the waxed cotton familiar standard. I doubt many here outside of older motorcycling enthusiasts would ever have heard of Belstaff before the Grenadier. Pretty smart of INEOS though, to take two niche brands and use them to cross promote each other to new audiences.

TRAILMASTER

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
my forum name was intentional not a mistype
Trailmaster selecting a Trialmaster

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I’ve got their Mackinaw wool cruiser jacket and vest, I bloody love them!

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And Aussie’s can pretend it's named after the famous Redex Trials. 🙂

View: https://youtu.be/BoQYM7TOnLI
I recall see another Redex Trials video with some foreign cars being unloaded off the ship. One in particular comes to mind. A Citroen or Peugeot from memory. The bull bar was like a grader blade from a D10 dozer. Funniest thing.

Local time
Reaction score
I had aa Belstaff jacket back in the 1970s. I was starting out as an advertising photographer and needed something rugged that I could wear on weekends but also stylish for when I went to pitch art directors. Economic reality was that I could only afford one quality jacket. The Polaroid design director used to rag me unmercifully about the jacket, but he gave me lots of work. One joke waxed cotton jacket wearers had was that Belstaff jackets had a comfort range of 28°F to 38° F, but only if the sun was not out (UK did not know how to design clothing for sunny days...)

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
It seems to also passed many by that about 8-10yrs ago Belstaff became THE jacket to wear and lots of Hollywood stars and fashionistas were all wearing Trialmaster jackets. It was during that time that the vintage 70’s and 80’s variants were changing hands for £400-£800 depending on condition.

Now a nice one is £200-£300 on a good day.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
It seems to also passed many by that about 8-10yrs ago Belstaff became THE jacket to wear and lots of Hollywood stars and fashionistas were all wearing Trialmaster jackets. It was during that time that the vintage 70’s and 80’s variants were changing hands for £400-£800 depending on condition.

Now a nice one is £200-£300 on a good day.
If you look at some of the current TV dramas the male co star wears a Trialmaster vis Vera and Annika

Back
Top Bottom