The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

drive.com.au Review (Australia)

zwu73oa6xnxzoroxp18h.jpeg

What's old is new again. Ineos is an all-new brand, and its first model is an unashamed four-wheel drive that focuses on practicality, capability and durability. But does it stack up as a proper contender?

Last edited by a moderator:
Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
This is the best review so far of the post Feb 8 era. This guy has enough relevant experience driving 4x4 vehicles to assess the steering and some other things in a way that the previous two reviews (Top Gear and Car Expert) could not.

Local time
Reaction score
This is the best review so far of the post Feb 8 era. This guy has enough relevant experience driving 4x4 vehicles to assess the steering and some other things in a way that the previous two reviews (Top Gear and Car Expert) could not.
Wait, maybe I put this in the wrong spot. Some threads have been moved (for good reason, but I got messed up). I was referring to this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvegw8fD2Ks

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7802684

Thanks Wayne.

Good & detailed review, covering many specific areas.

Overall positive review of the car with a 7.3/10.

The safety & handling scores were low, only 6.0 & 6.6 respectively, and this pulled the overall score down.

The key gripes (negatives) are that the steering is heavy and vague at times, the RHD driver's footwell is small, it's noisier and a less refined driving experience than other SUVs at this price point. It's heavy, the turning circle is big, and recent price rises have reduced the value-for-money equation quite a bit.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne.

The safety & handling scores were low, only 6.0 & 6.6 respectively, and this pulled the overall score down.

The key gripes (negatives) are that the steering is heavy and vague at times, the RHD driver's footwell is small, it's noisier and a less refined driving experience than other SUVs at this price point. It's heavy, the turning circle is big, and recent price rises have reduced the value-for-money equation quite a bit.
I have driven the test vehicles 3 times now... if you can get around the small footwell + big footrest + slightly cramped left leg wedged against the center console - then it will be your type of vehicle for you! Safety is not a concern for me personally, as I have never relied on new autonomous systems (Ranger, Mazda etc all had it and other cars I have owned), lane assist not a selling point for me etc. So, for my needs, they are scoring well over 8 on the things that matter to my personal use. Can't wait to get my vehicle in the mid-year fingers crossed.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have driven the test vehicles 3 times now... if you can get around the small footwell + big footrest + slightly cramped left leg wedged against the center console - then it will be your type of vehicle for you! Safety is not a concern for me personally, as I have never relied on new autonomous systems (Ranger, Mazda etc all had it and other cars I have owned), lane assist not a selling point for me etc. So, for my needs, they are scoring well over 8 on the things that matter to my personal use. Can't wait to get my vehicle in the mid-year fingers crossed.

I'll be driving it for the first time this coming Sunday in Sydney so looking forward to how it feels in action. I'm the same, don't care for the dumbed down lane assist tech that removes my own engagement.7acfmo.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne.

A negative to one person is a positive to another
I like the way he explains it is not for everyone.
I am glad it drives like a truck and you can hear the engine.
Exactly what I wanted.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:51 PM
Reaction score
Totes

and 'Design for Everyone' is design for no-one... you're either sold on the concept or not.

Anyway, this probably the most useful/ objective/ thorough of the reviews i've read thus far, from someone who seems to understand Australian 4WD mentality, conditions and content well (y)

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
drives like a truck
My wife took an instant dislike to the G-Wagen Professional (W461) due to it's "truck-like" (her words) driving experience... and yet the Grenadier had precisely the opposite effect.
Han was immediately more comfortable behind the wheel of the Grenadier than the G, or indeed than she is with the DS, describing it as "very easy to drive", "sure-footed" and "reminiscent of the Jeep" (JK Wrangler).
So frankly I have no idea what sorcery has been achieved by Ineos and how but I'll take it.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is the best review I've seen this morning - I think this guy gets it and I think I will like it too.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is the best review I've seen this morning - I think this guy gets it and I think I will like it too.
Try watching the spanish one with auto translate subtitles. It’s very good

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like the way he explains it is not for everyone.
I am glad it drives like a truck and you can hear the engine.
Exactly what I wanted.
Exactly DaveB (& welcome back!).

The best reviewers are those that can focus on one aspect of the Grenadier and see how it can impact different drivers (users).

E.g. the fact it is less refined than a city SUV is one reason that I WANT to buy it - it's not a negative for me.

Yes, it's heavy but that has benefits in coping with off road adventures

Yes - it may be noisier in the cabin at 100kph than another SUV but I don't want to be hermetically sealed in a spaceship.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Try watching the spanish one with auto translate subtitles. It’s very good
I'm on with that now - sub titles make it a bit difficult, you're either reading or watching. If only I wasn't such an ignorant Brit with no grasp of foreign languages I would be able to better enjoy his review! 😭

Edit: I will get no work done this morning...

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly DaveB (& welcome back!).

The best reviewers are those that can focus on one aspect of the Grenadier and see how it can impact different drivers (users).

E.g. the fact it is less refined than a city SUV is one reason that I WANT to buy it - it's not a negative for me.

Yes, it's heavy but that has benefits in coping with off road adventures

Yes - it may be noisier in the cabin at 100kph than another SUV but I don't want to be hermetically sealed in a spaceship.
Exactly! The absence of noise is a key factor in driver disengagement from the job at hand. Listening for noises... external and vehicle related is part and parcel of the full experience...a reason why I was chuffed somewhat when Gardner referred to the engine noise levels in the cabin!🤪

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm on with that now - sub titles make it a bit difficult, you're either reading or watching. If only I wasn't such an ignorant Brit with no grasp of foreign languages I would be able to better enjoy his review! 😭

Edit: I will get no work done this morning...
Yeah I can't understand how you guys have lived so close and not learned European languages in school.
like living in Southern US and not learning Spanish
I work with a lot of Asians, Europeans and South Americans who all speak 3- 5 languages

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
Yeah I can't understand how you guys have lived so close and not learned European languages in school.
like living in Southern US and not learning Spanish
I work with a lot of Asians, Europeans and South Americans who all speak 3- 5 languages
Our exchange students from the UK (England more precise) will arrive today. He has at least two years of German in school. I am really curious whether I can speak German with him or whether I will have to practice my English.

Back
Top Bottom