The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

drive.com.au Review (Australia)

zwu73oa6xnxzoroxp18h.jpeg

What's old is new again. Ineos is an all-new brand, and its first model is an unashamed four-wheel drive that focuses on practicality, capability and durability. But does it stack up as a proper contender?

Last edited by a moderator:

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
Our exchange students from the UK (England more precise) will arrive today. He has at least two years of German in school. I am really curious whether I can speak German with him or whether I will have to practice my English.
Unless he is particularly bright (most of us aren't), he won't be able to tell you much other than what his favourite subject is at school or how to ask for directions to the Town Hall!

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
Trouble is that English "WAS" the international language. Probably mandarin may become useful in the future.....especially as by stealth other continents become part of the greater Chinese empire. Africa, South America and Australasia are slowly falling.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
Yeah I can't understand how you guys have lived so close and not learned European languages in school.
The problem is that (in Germany) many students/pupils cannot even read properly. There are many who are simply not able to read a normal German text, even if they are already in the fifth grade.

And then on the one hand we have here in many schools the broken concept of the so called integrated comprehensive school. And they have to find the lowest common denominator to get everyone, even the most incompetent, through school somehow. And because the schools all want to proclaim success, they simply lower the required level.

On the other hand, more than 3 out of 10 students are no longer native German speakers, which makes the level even worse. According to my older sister (a high school teacher), in some schools there are classes with only one or no native German speaker anymore.

Not politics, but statistics.

Internationaler Vergleich: Fast ein Viertel der Schüler in Deutschland erreicht die Mindeststandards nicht. (International comparison: Almost a quarter of students (i.e. pupils) in Germany do not meet the minimum standards):

MUNICH. In Germany, the proportion of children and young people who lack basic skills in reading, writing and arithmetic is relatively high at 23.8 percent. This is shown by an international comparison carried out by the Munich-based ifo Institute on the basis of school performance studies such as PISA and TIMSS. Germany ranked just 30th - behind Russia.

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Unless he is particularly bright (most of us aren't), he won't be able to tell you much other than what his favourite subject is at school or how to ask for directions to the Town Hall!
He arrived and seems to be a nice and smart boy. I am sure his German will improve fast😀

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The problem is that (in Germany) many students/pupils cannot even read properly. There are many who are simply not able to read a normal German text, even if they are already in the fifth grade.

And then on the one hand we have here in many schools the broken concept of the so called integrated comprehensive school. And they have to find the lowest common denominator to get everyone, even the most incompetent, through school somehow. And because the schools all want to proclaim success, they simply lower the required level.

On the other hand, more than 3 out of 10 students are no longer native German speakers, which makes the level even worse. According to my older sister (a high school teacher), in some schools there are classes with only one or no native German speaker anymore.

Internationaler Vergleich: Fast ein Viertel der Schüler in Deutschland erreicht die Mindeststandards nicht. (International comparison: Almost a quarter of students (i.e. pupils) in Germany do not meet the minimum standards):
Sad but true!

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

In Belgium we have the same problem, but the main issue is indeed that some schools are "concentration schools".

My kids are non-native Dutch speaking (I spoke French with them and still do, my ex-wife "often" Portuguese), and started going to the Dutch (Flemish) primary school when they were 6, 8 and 10 years old. Only my oldest makes sometimes mistakes in his Dutch. But at their school, they were almost the only non-native speakers. Luckily! They had to adapt, and kids are sponges, they pick up a language at a tremendous speed.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
As a public school employee, I’d prefer this discussion over a few pints (as opposed to expressing my views in print). That said, many schools, school systems, and educational philosophies are broken.

Back
Top Bottom