The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff breathers

ninetubes

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Further to @ninetubes confirmation elsewhere (https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new.12412945/#post-1333234286 ) of the suitability of M10 x1mm push fit hose fittings for the diff breathers.... I would like to clarify as to whether there is one breather each per F/R axle or are two fitted to each axle?
Can the breathers for the auto transmission and the transfer case be extended as well?
Also, how does one route the 8mm hose to the front ... tied with cable ties?
thanks in advance!
DM
Hey Denis,
One vent per axle located on top of the diff “pumpkin” which are offset to the LHS of the vehicle. Jump under and they are pretty easy to spot. Look for the locker actuation wiring and follow that if you need a landmark.
I used a SAAS universal diff breather kit from eBay, plus bought M10x1.0 fittings so suit the hose in the kit. It comes with all the zip ties you could possibly need to secure the hose.
I ran the hoses down from the top of the diff housing along the lower control arms to the chassis. Then along and up the firewall into the engine bay. I terminated the hoses in the vent/filter block and mounted it in the back LHS of the engine bay (AUS passenger side, for clarity)
Took about 1/2 hour.
Next time I have it on the hoist I’ll snap some photos.
Hope this answers your question.
I felt like the tc & trans vents were high enough to be above factory wading depth limit, which I don’t anticipate needing to exceed (by much 😉)
Remembering that they shouldn’t suck water when they submerge if they have had a chance to cool first. Which you can control as a driver (don’t send it neck deep at 120kmh on the odd occasion you find yourself crossing water that depth). But I respect other folks operating needs will differ from mine, so each to their own.

Dan ✌🏻

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
Hey Denis,
One vent per axle located on top of the diff “pumpkin” which are offset to the LHS of the vehicle. Jump under and they are pretty easy to spot. Look for the locker actuation wiring and follow that if you need a landmark.
I used a SAAS universal diff breather kit from eBay, plus bought M10x1.0 fittings so suit the hose in the kit. It comes with all the zip ties you could possibly need to secure the hose.
I ran the hoses down from the top of the diff housing along the lower control arms to the chassis. Then along and up the firewall into the engine bay. I terminated the hoses in the vent/filter block and mounted it in the back LHS of the engine bay (AUS passenger side, for clarity)
Took about 1/2 hour.
Next time I have it on the hoist I’ll snap some photos.
Hope this answers your question.
I felt like the tc & trans vents were high enough to be above factory wading depth limit, which I don’t anticipate needing to exceed (by much 😉)
Remembering that they shouldn’t suck water when they submerge if they have had a chance to cool first. Which you can control as a driver (don’t send it neck deep at 120kmh on the odd occasion you find yourself crossing water that depth). But I respect other folks operating needs will differ from mine, so each to their own.

Dan ✌🏻
Hi Dan,
I very much appreciate your detailed explanation! Thank you.
cheers
Denis

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I already have about 20 (more than I need), I am just waiting for confirmation they fit.

AUSTRALIAN OWNERS ONLY
I can confirm I have spare diff connectors allowing you to fit diff breathers. @AnD3rew confirms they fit the INEOS. I have spares that can be bought at near cost plus packing and posting. If you are interested let me know and I will work out the cost. It can be arranged early next year - to avoid the Christmas/New Year madness.

Likely cost around AUD12 for two fittings posted within Australia. It maybe lower after I do some maths and checks, but not higher. Roughly 10 or 12 available.
img_4822-jpeg.7829249

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
AUSTRALIAN OWNERS
I can confirm I have spare diff connectors allowing you to fit diff breathers. @AnD3rew confirms they fit the INEOS. I have spares that can be bought at cost plus packing and posting. If you are interested let me know and I will work out the cost. It can be arranged early next year - to avoid the Christmas/ New Year madness.
img_4822-jpeg.7829249
Yes thanks to the Doc, I had a set of these installed today they are the correct thread and size.. The tubing was run alongside the wiring for the diff lockers to ensure it would have the appropriate flex etc and installed under the bonnet. I just bought this basic kit from Amazon

Universal 2 Port / 2 Point Diff Breather Kit blue for Toyota Hilux Landcruiser Prado Nissan Navara Mitsubishi Triton Pajero BT-50 and more https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0B2R3NCBQ?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_ECGBA4GGT6HHA8JRAF20&language=en-AU

IMG_5295.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5300.jpeg
    IMG_5300.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 112

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:23 PM
Reaction score
this is the work done years ago on my defender with 2 axels, gearbox and transfer case.

I would like to do the same work on my grenadier.
in addition to the two axels, can you also intercept gearbox and transfer case? do these always have 10x1.0 connections like axles?
What diameter do you recommend for the Rilsan tube?

thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-27 alle 17.35.50.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 alle 17.35.50.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 84
  • d.png
    d.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 66

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
this is the work done years ago on my defender with 2 axels, gearbox and transfer case.

I would like to do the same work on my grenadier.
in addition to the two axels, can you also intercept gearbox and transfer case? do these always have 10x1.0 connections like axles?
What diameter do you recommend for the Rilsan tube?

thanks
The bigger the tube the better basically however 6mm is the most common size, if you can find a kit and breather fittings that take 8mm then all the better. Mine are 6mm. I haven’t done the investigation myself but others have said thet there aren’t Transfer case or transmission breathers.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The bigger the tube the better basically however 6mm is the most common size, if you can find a kit and breather fittings that take 8mm then all the better. Mine are 6mm. I haven’t done the investigation myself but others have said thet there aren’t Transfer case or transmission breathers.
The Red Winch does NOT have a breather either. Red Winch confirmed that to me when I asked.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
AUSTRALIAN OWNERS ONLY
I can confirm I have spare diff connectors allowing you to fit diff breathers. @AnD3rew confirms they fit the INEOS. I have spares that can be bought at near cost plus packing and posting. If you are interested let me know and I will work out the cost. It can be arranged early next year - to avoid the Christmas/New Year madness.

Likely cost around AUD12 for two fittings posted within Australia. It maybe lower after I do some maths and checks, but not higher. Roughly 10 or 12 available.
img_4822-jpeg.7829249
There are only 8 adapters available for sale - Australia only.

$12 for two, including postage within Australia.

First order was posted today.

Last edited:

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The raised Air Intake is NOT a snorkel! It is NOT sealed item. For example, the indicator punches a square hole into (yes above 800mm) however it is NOT water sealed. Anyway a SNORKEL is meant to be underwater - I cant imagine the Grenadier roof being underwater, well "some mothers do have em", always a chance :)

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aust owners
Down to 8 breathers now. Going, going….

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Only 4 left.

EDIT: all gone.

Last edited:

camilondo

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
UNIVERSAL DIFF KITS (DIFFS, TRANSMISSION & TRANSFER CASE) - HARROP AND ARB - AUSTRALIA

I made some inquires in Australia from makers of two universal diff breather kits on whether they would work on the INEOS. First the Harrop version, and second the competing ARB version.

Harrop responded:
“I can confirm that the Universal Breather Kit will work with your vehicle, although you may possible need to purchase an extra length of breather hose which we will be able to provide to you.

I would suggest purchasing the kit as is as you may not need to additional length of Breather Hose.”

ARB responded:
“Our diff breather kit is very versatile and will definitely work with the Ineos, however you may need to change the fittings that plumb into the diff where the breather attaches.”

The provided links are to the main websites. I believe if you shop around you can get the Kits cheaper at third party suppliers.

Piranha Offroad diff breathers
Piranha Offroad also make a universal diff breather kit but I made no inquires. Their kit is for 2 breathers, the others handle 4. So, double the price if you need 4 breathers. Piranha also supplies a bracket and other diff breather accessories. Piranha seem to offer the most accessories for various model cars, but no INEOS parts.

More choices
Other suppliers include TJM, Superior Engineering, BRC (with a fancy air filter), Aussie Custom Kits and Boss Suspension. Superior Engineering, BRC and ACK kits all look promising.

PDP diff breathers
Here is the link to the PDP diff breather mentioned above. PDP have model specific kits, but no Universal Kit for the INEOS. This is the kit for the Toyota LC200 series. Hilux and 70 series kits are cheaper.

Warning: an important component in any breather kit is high quality tubing that can deal with hot and cold temperatures and contaminants.

I ended up buying the BRC kit, see why below.
Good morning AUS owners,
Has anyone completed universal diff breather kit install, is the supplied hose lenght enough? or extra hose is to be ordered?
Thanks.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
so all of you are only raising the diff breathers and not the gearbox and transfer one. right?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
AUSTRALIAN OWNERS ONLY

img_4822-jpeg.7829249
tks Doc, just ordered some myself here in the UK.

I'll try and route them up the RAI if poss

Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
so all of you are only raising the diff breathers and not the gearbox and transfer one. right?

Have you a picture of the Gearbox and Trasnfer-box breathers ?
Have you seen them or are you assuming that they have them ... if they do, it would be highly unusual (IMO).

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can't see anything from underneath, but they certainly must be there.

I would like to understand if it is difficult to raise them or not.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have you a picture of the Gearbox and Trasnfer-box breathers ?
Have you seen them or are you assuming that they have them ... if they do, it would be highly unusual (IMO).
Apparantly the Grenadier does not have them, or no one has found them. People have looked.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
tks Doc, just ordered some myself here in the UK.

I'll try and route them up the RAI if poss
I just priced another order (20), but the postage to Australia was 40 pounds. Pretty sure that is not the real cost, I suspect the website just adds postage for each item. Items about 1/3 of total cost, postage the other 2/3s. Total cost almost 50% more than the order (20) a few months ago, mostly postage

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom