The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff breathers

RTG

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:27 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,
do we know whether it comes with/needs diff breathers?

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Solid axel so definitely needs diff breathers.. no pictures of them or Where they route to. We asked in SF tour about them and weren’t given specifics 

Reactions: AWo

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
Should be routed to under the bonnet. I'll otherwise do it myself.

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all,
do we know whether it comes with/needs diff breathers?
Not only Diff breeathers, ZF Gearbox and the Transfer Case breathers. Wonder where they finish or even have a non return valve???? (At least just under bonnet height)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not only Diff breeathers, ZF Gearbox and the Transfer Case breathers. Wonder where they finish or even have a non return valve???? (At least just under bonnet height)
I assume at least 800mm off the ground
I doubt they would quote 800mm wading depth and then have the breathers lower than that. They would then have to cover any damage under warranty

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
Solid axel so definitely needs diff breathers.. no pictures of them or Where they route to. We asked in SF tour about them and werenât given specifics
I going to guess that there are two breathers per axle, both located just inboard of the wheel stations.

On the front axle:
Screenshot_20220823_171116.jpg
which is routed up the outside of the chassis and either terminates here in a valve or is a connector block to extend further into the engine bay:
Screenshot_20220125_153431_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
Screenshot_20220224_071726_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

And on the rear axle:
FB_IMG_1629548591279.jpg
Screenshot_20210821_173122.jpg
which is routed up the rear radius arms somewhere:
FB_IMG_1629565853981.jpg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I assume at least 800mm off the ground
I doubt they would quote 800mm wading depth and then have the breathers lower than that. They would then have to cover any damage under warranty
I suspect one of the 200 or so German engineers Ineos engaged has considered this!
"You only had one job!!!"

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I going to guess that there are two breathers per axle, both located just inboard of the wheel stations.

On the front axle:
View attachment 7796462
which is routed up the outside of the chassis and either terminates here in a valve or is a connector block to extend further into the engine bay:
View attachment 7796463
View attachment 7796464

And on the rear axle:
View attachment 7796467
View attachment 7796468
which is routed up the rear radius arms somewhere:
View attachment 7796473
The Breathers are normally from the diffs not the wheel area?
There should be 3 diff breathers, 1 transmission and 1 transfer case.
I could be wrong

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And
Not necessarily. The breathers are in theory mostly one way vent valves.

The old Landrover ones just screwed into the axle tube and so were never related to wading depth.
View attachment 7796480

People started extending them as the design of the jiggle valve was prone to getting dirt in and just remaining open all the time.
and yet no diff or transmission breathers and these ones were known to cause a problem.
OOPS I forgot - Landrover

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Diff breathers need to be two way not one way valves
If air can only get out when hot then what happens when it cools down?
That is why they are called breathers.
Not my comments below just some crazy person.

Where raised breathers become important, is when you’re trundling along with the short-stick locked in causing everything in your driveline to heat up. Wheel bearings, axles, CVs, diff centres, pinions – the works. As the air in your diff housings heats up, it expands, and pressurises the diff. The breather lets it release this pressure out into the atmosphere, instead of out via your axle seals.

So far, so good. So why would you want raised diff breathers? Because invariably, there’s going to be a water crossing, river, or boat ramp that you’ll want encounter during your travels. If you’re anything like me, you’re not going to want to sit there for hours waiting for your driveline to cool down before you get your hubs wet. As we said before, when the driveline gets hot, it vents air out. When it cools down, it sucks air back in. If your diffs are hot and the breather goes underwater, it is going to suck litres of water through the breather. In some cases, breathers have a one-way valve that closes when the pressure flips. In this case that water can be sucked in through your axle or pinion seals.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
It's almost the same design as used by Toyota and many other manufacturers ~ so not just a JLR issue.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's almost the same design as used by Toyota and many other manufacturers ~ so not just a JLR issue.
This is what a diff breather kit looks like
Totally different to a non-return valve based breather
They are two way and allow the diff to breath out and back in from a controlled location.

1669018626681.png

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Or you leave it permanently installed as it stops oil from leaking all over your drive; just take it out periodically to drain into an old tin...
I have a gravel driveway , so what has originally come out of the earth's crust is returned , slowly ;)

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ah I see .. ve seen similar 2way valves on gearboxes and engine. I am not a mechanical engineer. So what I gonna do - ask my car mechanic. Need to talk to the guy anyway. My front camera became dysfunctional during snowfall on Saturday ..

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
This is what a diff breather kit looks like
Totally different to a non-return valve based breather
They are two way and allow the diff to breath out and back in from a controlled location.

View attachment 7796483

That's what I'd expect. It's independent from having a snorkel or not, since wading always causes air in the diffs to expand or shrink. Even if I drive through only 30cm of water.

There is a wading limit for each car. So the breathers have to be mounted above that limit. I personally would avoid to have another gasket in a snorkel.

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom