The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff breathers

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
Never really understood that design ~ go to all that effort and terminate under the bonnet with no shield or cover. Drop into a hole whilst wading and...

Much prefer this arrangement:
View attachment 7796493

Of course any manifold introduceds a single point of failure, early Camel Trophy vehicles used to route all the separate breathers up the snorkel. Looked a little messy but where function is the absolute design criteria perhaps better.
I didn't design it, only posted it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd say engineers from Magna Steyr have some (limited :)) experience building proper 4 wheelers as they were involved in others similar cars before (like e.g. the G-wagon). Admittedly they are not german but austrian, though
Exactly my tongue in cheek comment
If I had to build a real 4Wd
and I was a billionaire
I would definitely invite them to the pub for a beer

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ric said this morning that the diffs are sealed and don't have breathers
I recall my RRP38 had 4 breather tubes that terminated at a common point in the engine bay..
Like others I am quite surprised that breathers appear to be missing from the IG axles, transmission and transfer case... I await with interest, the final configuration to see how the seal pressure gradients are solved.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:33 PM
Reaction score
Same here DenisM. 'One-Way' valve, if the case seems unusual.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:33 PM
Reaction score
Same here DenisM. 'One-Way' valve, if the case seems unusual.
A one way valve is pointless if there is not a second one way valve in with an opposite direction of flow somewhere.
If it gets hot the air will go out. If it gets cold the air has to go in.
A one way valve would mean air goes out in warm conditions and under cold conditions there is just an underpressure…
🤔

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A one way valve is pointless if there is not a second one way valve in with an opposite direction of flow somewhere.
A one way valve would mean air goes out in warm conditions and under cold conditions there is just an underpressure…
🤔
I heard for the first time in my life about these valves here, so am a complete novice. I am just wondering ... valves are never completely 100% tight, perfection only exists on paper. What if overpressure is dramatic, and underpressure isn't, and the "slow underpessure leaks" are sufficient to bring slowly everything back to normal?
Just thinking ... perhaps a stupid argument (but please don't call me stupid, only my argument ;) )

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
🤔
Let's assume that those who build the axles know what they are doing.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
As my father says , that's a way to make an ass out of u and me.
Irrelevant I know but you will never look at that word the same way again!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
As my father says , that's a way to make an ass out of u and me.
Irrelevant I know but you will never look at that word the same way again!
:unsure:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
they will know for sure. But there’s still no explanation for for me how it should work only with one way valves…

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It may seem pointless but it's the standard setup in a number of well engineered vehicles.

Axle ends aren't gas tight; and pulling air in is not really an issue. The issue is blowing oil out. Look at the design of the seal lips and how they work more in one direction than the other.
So you assume that the construction itself works as the inlet valve?

Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
In an engine you need the engine oil temperature to be over 100c to evaporate water off, water is a by product of combustion.
So if you do water crossing with a warm diff without a raised breather water is going to stream past the seals, and unless the diffs heat up to over 100c which is extremely doubtful we have a problem. I have drained many of my 4x4 diffs and gearboxes with milky oil in the past without adequate breathers.

Local time
Reaction score
I'd say engineers from Magna Steyr have some (limited :)) experience building proper 4 wheelers as they were involved in others similar cars before (like e.g. the G-wagon). Admittedly they are not german but austrian, though

Austria has been assimilated..way back..

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
I’m still going to sit on the side of the fence of extended breather hose to a protected upper part of the vehicle with a sintered bronze filter on the end.

But if they released the cad-it or better still part’s catalogue we would know….

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
Parts catalogue *should* be part of the CAD-IT system.

If I have a concern though, it's the complete silence on the system and whether they've been forced to row back on the big promises originally made...off to annoy our resident agent... 😁
I think you’re right. I queried if BMW had sanctioned a repair manual to be put into the public domain, same with ZF. And got a very politic reply.
As ever give it 6 months and the black market will provide. Sadly.

Back
Top Bottom